Hi Ashleigh;

I have not seen your post but talk to the Dr about what side effect the surgery can cause and what diet you should be on after surgery. I was not told anything about either one of these when I had my colon resection for diverticulities. Good luck, Fern

Hi tammibroughton;

I had my colon resection done 5 yrs ago and still trying to figure out for sure what my problem is that started right after surgery. Diarrhea 20 X a day, gas, gas, gas, cramping, bloating, nausea, have to be very carefull at what I ear. I did not have that much removed so not sure what happened during surgery that caused this problem. Did the surgeon damage or distrube my ileocecal valve and let bacteria from the large intestine into the small intestine I am not sure but it has not been fun living with this problem. My sympotms are better but still have a long ways to go to be back to where I was before surgery. The Drs here have been no help the support sites have been the most help tho everyone there is trying to figure out what to do to.

I am 45 and had 12" of mycolon removed Dec 17th. In hospital 3 days, and released on the 4th-everything went really well. 2 wks to the day after the surgery I was able to go back to work 4-5 hours/day no problem-just got tired. Just follow the Doctor's directions. Take food slow. I am now 6 wks post op and have added most foods back into my diet. I feel really good, and it is awesome not to be getting diverticulitis. I have resumed working out, full days at work. I was so hesitant to have this surgery and it went so well.

I did the same thing. Ten years later the diverticulitis came back. I had my entire large intestine removed 5 months ago. Life is not fun. Be very careful about what you eat.

Be prepared, they may do a temp colostomy,  you will have a bag for a few months, if you are lucky.  Be very careful after that, diverticulitis can come back.

Hi liibra; Does diverticulitis usually come back if you are either stress out or have constipation. I got mine from stress for 6 months before I started with the attacks and maybe consitaption.

Probably but diet has a lot to do with it. I was a social worker, long hours, lots of stress, eating on the run, Diet is the key and avoiding stress.

i had diverticulitis for four years then in Feb 2012 i broke four ribs skiing... i thought my nausa was just the ribs after about 3 trips to the hospital i was told that my colon was not looking good , my reaction was but its my ribs , however my doctor that had been looking after my diverticulitis said you only wish ..into emergeny surgey i went came out with a colostomy

...not a big deal i climb ski and kayak have not felt this good in years.. i was sick four years and did not really now .. i'm scheduled for a reversal in the next few month .. the reason it has taken so long is I did not want to miss the ski season... pain was not realy bad i felt so go hrs after the operations that the pain was never an issue ..i can eat anything currently

.... BUT... I WATCH WHAT I EAT .. i eat vegies lots of fibre and limit my meat intake i also dropped 30LBS and exercise a min of 3 times a week ... and i turn 57 this year... life is good

Hi, I also have diverticulitis was in the hospital for a week, Then the dr sent me home witrh all these anbocits,, I'm also gonna have to have surgery. My surgeon said no soda pop.. not good for it, any thing Carbonnation in it causes gas.. could cause problems. I'm on a soft diet,, too.. I go see the surgeon on the 23 April. There gonna take a foot of colon out..   Good Luck..

hi i had pains in my left hand side of my stomach.i had a ultrasound scan which showed up nothing.

so i just left it. my boyfriend called the ambulance one saturday because i was in so much pain.

i went to bournemouth hospital. they did a ct scan on me. and it showed i had a abscess on me appendix and on 

bowels. i came out of hospital with the drain on. it was one saturday i became sick. i went back to hospital.

i had the abscess still there and Diverticulitis. i had two emergency operation's.and a stoma bag.i was in hospital for 3 moths last year.

i had to go in intensive care.when i was on the ward, i could not eat so was put on a Drip.

it  has been a year. and i still have a stoma Bag i have good days and some bad days with it. but have a good stoma nurse.

and a very good consultant. if it was not for the consultant i would not be here thank you.

and thank you for reading this.thanks.

I am scheduled for the divert surgery on June 11 and somewhat scared.  I was hospitalied in Dec. 09 for 3 days for divert and have had 5 more attackes since then.  My regular doctor suggested surgery but I got another opionion from a gas dr. who said no.  I then had the colonospy and removed 2 polps and he told me to change my diet.  It worked okay for about 1 year and then the attacks came more and more.  I went to see another gas dr. who referred me to a surgeon and it will hopefully be laparoscopic.  I am so tired of dealing with the discomfort and never knowing if you are going to have a good day or a bad day.  Tired of vomiting, fatigue, etc.  I'm not sure if I made the right decision but the new gas dr. said its better to have elective surgery then emergency surgery.  I am glad I can read other stories which help.  Take care, Karen

My dad just had the surgery...expect to be in the hospital for about two weeks. There is much pain after this. Make sure you are comfortable with the surgeon, they answer your questions and are aggressive with recovery treatment. A nutritionist will explain a lot; including how you eat; how fast you eat, what you eat and what cannot pass through the diverticulum part of the large intestine.  A friend of mine also has diverticulitis diagnosed at a young age as well.  They will tell you to avoid seeds, nuts, corn, popcorn; and to chew your food for easy digestion; and I mean really chew your food slowly.  Be careful of whole grain breads and oatmeal with nuts in them. You can have something like peanut butter, but only if it is creamy.  If you keep having attacks, such as my friend, than they will tell you surgery.  If the diverticulum part of the large intestine ruptures, as did with my dad, than surgery as well.  I am lucky I don't have it; but I can tell you that when my friend has an attack, it is not pleasant; and my dad has gone through hell the last couple weeks.  Make sure you have all the facts, do your research and have your questions ready.  There are ways to cook with seasonings that are whole such as rosemary and red pepper flakes that can get stuck in the large intestine. Buy a cheap coffee grinder to use, specifically to grind spices very finely.  You will need to avoid berries; but cucumbers and tomatoes are easy, just take out the seeds.  (word to the wise, it took my friend 3 years to figure out that grape and cherry tomatoes aren't worth it, when you can buy bigger tomatoes). Also be aware, the nutritionist told my dad, eating too fast, and not chewing food properly for digestion can cause flare ups; and trust me, my dad is, sorry was a speed eater until two weeks; proving how fast you eat can affect your health.

Regarding soda: why drink it?  wasted calories, other things to drink such as ice teas, ICE sparking water, etc to keep you hydrated.  My doctor said soda is okay for a treat, once or twice a week, but I have type 2 diabetes that is hereditary.  The nutritionist told me dad soda is okay, but nutritionally speaking there is not reason to have it everyday.  Now if were talking about coffee... that can cause flare ups for bad diverticulitis cases, per my friend; so her doctor told her to limit coffee to a cup or two in the morning; but it must have a good amount of cream or milk in it.  Coffee is actually good for  you. 

Again, talk to your doctors, they will guide you.  Each case is different.  If you don't get the answers you like or need; don't be afraid to get second, third, fourth opinions.  Diverticulitis is a serious chronic condition; but totally livable.  

I had the surgery in 2007 and I'll be honest with you, it's not an easy thing to go through. My advice is to follow your doctors instructions to the max and you will be fine.  My surgery was a difficult one because for two years my dr diagnosed me with food poisoning (id**t) and I ruptured and had to have emergency surgery.  I was in the hospital for a week and when I went home I slept with 3 pillows in an almost sitting up position because I didn't want to put strain on my stomach.  After a couple of weeks after you will feel better but do take care and don't over due.  Also, I googled diverticulitis diet on the web and followed that.

I wish you the best and if you have Any questions feel free to email me.

Were you in pain right before you had the sugery

Bless you and thanks. I've been home two weeks with major cramping. Please dear lord make it stop!!!