i have the same thing im waking up through the night with intense throat spasms and im panicked feeling like i cannot breathe my neck is spasming mildly and noone knows whats causing it. im afraid to go to sleep. its at the fron t of my throat a pulsing spasming tightening feeling.

I wish someone had an answer. My 10 year old daughter has been having the same symptoms of throat closing and we have had every test possible done on her and she still continues to have problems everynight. The doctors say everything looks normal but she gets very panicky. I just hope there is not something that the doctors are missing. One other symptoms she has is hurting in her shoulders and joints. Has anyone had that symptom with it. It is always mainly at night and I just want a good night sleep for a change! %-)

My throat has felt like it was closing up for a couple weeks. Now it's almost constant. I think it first started when I was lifting weights at the gym and it felt like I had pulled a muscle in my neck or something. It's not painful and it doesnt keep me awake at night, but it's annoying. Feels like I'm having an allergic reation to something. Does anyone know what's up with this before I spend money at a doctor?

Whoa, we may be onto something. I started experiencing the same thing after pulling a muscle in my neck.

I don't have health insurance and don't make much money at all, so I can't really afford a doctor, but this thing is driving me mad. I've always had stress problems, but they've intensified lately with it being the holidays and one of my friends being diagnosed with terminal breast cancer... so that might be the issue. I plan on buying some stress tablets and muscle relaxants later. If I experience any relief, I'll let you know.

There is a rare disease called Bysectemialic. It can be fatal because it closes up your throat, usually when you are sleeping, and when you wake up it gets tight and you can't breathe. My friend's great uncle Elliott died from it, but most likely you don't have it, because it's very rare. They haven't found any cures or medications for it yet, but it could be something to check out with your doctor.

my throat closes sometimes, at first it was when i exercise or get stressed now today its been happening randomly when i was in the car, in the mall now at home . it tightens up and makes me feel like gagging. %-) i have a puffer and only took it once a couple days ago and then today it made it feel a bit better but not much.

When I was in 10th grade, I got sick and started waking up in the middle of the night vomiting and coughing--and everytime I would throw up my throat would constrict and it would feel like I could hardly breathe or that I was wheezing (I have asthma; it's not the same feeling but I do feel like I can't breathe). I went to about a million doctors, the ER twice, and no one seemed to know what was wrong, nor help until someone prescribed me hyroxicine, which I think is a sleeping aid. It ended up that at night my throat would start spasming and hit my gag reflex--causing it to spasm more, and then hitting my gag reflex again. It's really not fun and terrifying, especially if you don't know what's going on. It's also happened when I started coughing hard from laughing.

It's started up again, and it ended up that the doctor seems to be right: I can stop it if I try to relax my throat, which is an up hill battle. I'm not sure how much this applies to anyone else, but using a brown bag, relaxing, staying still, not talking and finally drinking water--all helped me to calm the spasms; whether the process took ten to 30 minutes though, depende on the night.

The best news is, if it is this, the worse that can evidently happen is you'll faint (and then your throat muscles will relax). Hopefully this is helpful to someone, and oh yeah during the last bout I got a nebulizer and used that though I don't think the albhuterol helped as much as it just calmed me more.

I have the same issue. Just put in feels like throat closing off and these posts came up. I am amazed. Same here, especially at night. I panic and don't even think about breathing through my nose. I sit up and gasp for air. Freaks me out too. I have acid reflux. I mentioned this to my Dr. He said that the Amitriptiline, low dose, meds I take for Fibromyalgia can dry you out, cause chapped lips and dry throat etc. He has lowered my dose but I don't think this is the issue. I get this way when I am driving as well!!! Have had to pull over. Feel lightheaded, head tingles or feels numb like an I panic because I don't want to drive and I won't. It scares me too much. I won't drive until it has lessened alot or is completely gone but takes a while to pass most times. It's definitely a very scary feeling. My fiance has sleep apnea. His throat doesn't do this. He'll wake up after his breathing has stopped, cough and go right back to sleep and his throat doesn't feel like it closing up, so wish I knew what is going on!

Well, after an upper respiratory infection, especially one that is bad, you can develop all sorts of seemingly unrelated issues. I suggest looking into paradoxical vocal fold movement (PVFM). It's a type of voice disorder that can develop after an URI. How does your voice sound throught the day? Have you noticed it changing??

Unfortunately I have the exact same symptoms described by many of you. It starts out out of nowhere, it feels like your throat is constricting. There's no pain, and not a lot of phlegm. It tends to feel better in the mornings, especially if you can get yourself to sleep, but the 2nd half of the day and towards night it gets much worse again. To top it off, even though I'm drinking plenty of water, it seems like my throat gets overly dehydrated. Any of this ring a bell?

I originally got it for the first time a couple years ago. It was a horrible constricting feeling, and led to a panic very easily. It eventually went away, but I was never sure of the cause. Months later, it came back again. This time, seemingly worse. By now I had already seen some doctors, had an ER visit, and none of the doctors seemed to have an answer for me. First I was prescribed some heartburn medication, the acid reflux route. I had a bad reaction with the medication so I had to try something else, unable to check if that was the cause. Next they diagnosed me with tracheitis and prescribed me an antibiotic. It seemingly helped for a while, but it didn't cure it by the time I finished the antibiotic. When it got at it's worst, it migrated from my throat into my lungs turning into bronchitis, and then up into my sinus causing a sinus infection, then back into my throat causing the swelling, never any of them same time ironically.

Then I found the biggest thing that helped. Water. And no this isn't one of those water hypes from the water cure websites or whatever, this is purely self experience. Keeping myself super-hydrated and breathing in the vapor from a cold water humidifier, while avoiding allergens, was able to cure it from me the 2nd time, after months of torture. Of course sleep probably played a factor too, the clean humid environment I was in allowed me to sleep much easier then originally.

Now here more then a year later, I've caught it yet again for a 3rd time, 8 days ago to be exact. We had a freak weather change where it was snowing the day before, then reached 75 the next 2 days, then went back to snowing and dry air. I believe that was the trigger. The rapid temperature change, mixed with the change in moisture in the air and mass allergen releases caused my immunities to plummet, allowing the infection to take hold. This time I did my homework, and the symptoms coincide with the illnesses Tracheitis, Croup, and Pharyngitis. Except for one major difference, all the above illnesses have throat pain, specific bad coughs, and relatively specific ways to treat them. So while this seems to be something similar, I don't think it's just one illness, but rather a combination of lesser illnesses with many possible causes, leading to 1 annoying effect. Hence why doctors have a hard time treating it.

To sum it all up (sorry for the long post), there seems to be triggers that initially cause it, and then viral and/or bacterial infections are able to move in and keep the swelling feeling for long periods of time, worsening at night. The triggers can be allergies, throat dehydration, acid reflux, low immunities during cold and flu season, and just about anything else that can agitate your throat. From there, there's a whole list of bugs that can cause the thereafter infection, including normal flu virus's and anxiety bringing down your immune system not allowing you to fight at 100%. Preventing it wouldn't be hard by avoiding allergens and throat irritants, keeping hydrated, and maintaining a certain moisture level in your home with a humidifier.

As to how to CURE it.. I'm no doctor, just a survivor. All I can say is you need to give your body the best possible environment to fight it off. Drinking lots of water and breathing in cool humid air is a must, as it thins your mucus and doesn't allow irritants and bacteria to keep hold. Make sure to do your homework before you buy a humidifier/vaporizer though, as I hear vaporizers (the warm water one) can actually be bad for you. As a side note, a wet towel or sheet draped over your head can probably help with immediate need of moist air, although it doesn't seem to work nearly as well and can be uncomfortable. Another thing to keep in mind that lots of people swear it's caused by acid reflux, and I even had an uncle with a similar problem, so it probably wouldn't hurt to try some daily Tums with plenty of water to see if it improves. If you have the money to invest in an air purifier/allergen remover, it can probably increase your chances if you have any allergies/hay fever too. And to all the people mentioning anxiety as a cause, I strongly believe it plays a huge factor. It's very stressful, and I myself have had my ups and downs emotionally because of it.

But, keep in mind that this probably CAN'T kill you, it only feels like your throat might close completely.

While panicking is hard to stop, it is actually easy to do with practice. Since panicking is an adrenaline release, once you learn how, you can stop it in only 3 minutes, as that's how long it takes for the adrenaline to leave your system. The secret is mentally distracting yourself, which causes your body to switch off the adrenaline cycle, breaking the panic. I found out through various web pages that there are simple sleep exercises you can do that forces your mind to only think about 1 thing, stopping panic, temporarily causing you to forget about your throat, relieving some swelling and stress, also helping you sleep. An example of these exercises is to clear your mind, and think of something entirely random as soon as it pops into your mind, like "A pink alligator with with lasers attached to his toes throwing pizzas at trees". It sounds silly, but it works, as you'd be surprised how easily your mind focuses on only one thing at a time trying to think of things. Another example is doing random math in your head, or counting until you can't count anymore.

These are just the basics, it's always a good idea to contact a doctor when you are able to, as since this seems to have many causes, a prescription of some sort may be necessary. I've been having trouble fighting mine recently as I made the mistake of thinking "I haven't had this in like a years time, I'm in the clear." and I now don't own a humidifier. And unfortunately I didn't think about needing a humidifier up 'till now, 5 days into my antibiotic. The dry air never bothered me before, but soon as I got this "throat thing" again, it really hit me how important humid air is in your home. It may have been the dry air that caused me to not fight it off in the first place.

Anyhow, hopefully this will help someone. I initially found this page looking for answers and possible treatments, but now I see there's a lot more people then just me with this problem, and the doctors seem to be afraid to look into new treatment methods. I'll be buying a humidifier tonight or tomorrow, so I'll stop back by and update you all on if it helps me again.

Good luck, and if anyone else knows anything that might help cure it, by all means share! :-)

After I had already posted the above, I found this link on this website (hard to miss, but I still missed it).
https://www.steadyhealth.com/articles/Having_Lump_In_The_Throat_Sensation_a715_f140.html

It does a pretty good job of summing up the possibilities of what it could be, but it doesn't offer much advice to preventing or getting rid of it. Still worth a read if you haven't already.

My mother experienced similar symptoms, and her doctors indeed attributed it to acid reflux. She has ever since been very careful about her diet, and treating the reflux, and the episodes have gone away. Good luck.

Hello, I just read your blog right before I found out what was causing my feeling of "throat closing". I have since found out that it is a cross between my neck being severley out of alignment (C-5 and 6) and my esophagus. I found a chiroprator who treats this without strong manipulation and has had a great deal of success. Hope this helps you helped me as I though I was dying.

My name is clair im a 19 year old female, i have to say its so good to see that im not the only person in the world who suffers with this, although i havent been to the doctor about it i did originally have this condition back in 2006 and i seem to get it every so often. i do find that thinking about it makes it feel worst and sometimes its terribly hard not too. i have asthma and use my inhaler when i feel my throat closing and it dosent really help.
I do believe however it might be stress related, i suffer from tension headaches and have multiple allergies to animals and hayfever so it could be a concoction of all of that, im also a natural worrier and so i always panic when something goes wrong. im glad i stumbled accross this website, usually when you type symptoms into google it automatically comes up with the worst.

the only thing im finding at the moment is i do get a twinge sort of pain in my sternum, i do play a lot of sport so i don't know if its a pulled muscle. Anyone else get the same?

if anyone has anymore advice i'd love to hear it. Thanks.

For years i've been really sick, every time i ate my throat would close, i'd get reflux and a numerous amount of different problems including swollen glands, claggy throat, waking up choking. I was diagnosed with a slight lung condition that the doctor told me was making me really ill, went for treatment, came out of hospital the same. One of those people who looks in your eyes, can't remember what they're called, told me to stop having dairy, ever since it's all stopped. Dairy products change the acidity of your stomach, and strangely enough dairy is renouned for claggy throats, alot of my friends don't believe me, but they cough and choke after having dairy. I've noticed cutting it out of my diet has changed my heath dramatically. It's not like its a real loss, it's only good for your bones and a glass of soy milk provides more calcuim then a glass of milk.