This sounds like anxiety also. I am not a doctor by any means, but read up/google on "panic attacks" and see if it describes what happens to you. My son had these symptoms and it took a long time to finally figure out it was anxiety/panic attacks. He thought he had a heart problem....all his test results came back saying he was "superman" but that he DID have panic attacks and rec'd a prescription.

Hi 

i am having this problem at night it was just about march this year I went into get my nose fixed and ever since then I have 

This breathing problem mostly at night I get this awful taste in the mouth I have tried 

Everything to get rid of it but it will not go away at this moment I am writing this on the edge of my bed I am still not tired 

Again, not a doctor....you should go to the dentist on that taste just to rule out a cavity as such. Then if it's nothing dental, go to the eye, ear, nose, throat doctor to check on it. It's what I would do if it were me. :).

Sleep apnea. Recommend having a sleep study done.

I have the same thing and it is really scary.  One piece of advise I have is when your throat closes up do not panic, I know its scary but just relax.  For some time I had Xopenex in inhaler form, I also used a humidifier in my room to moisten my throat and nose when I sleep/  I have been diagnosed previously with acid reflux but have not really followed the treatment and do not take meds.  I guess its time to do that and see if I improve.  Normally though the condition flares up when I am sick with cold. 

This post board has been really helpful and I feel better knowing its not some terminal disease.  

Hi all,

It appears in some cases that some of you have symptoms of tracheitis there is a bacterial and non bacterial version.

It normally occurs after a cold or flue, i am not a GP but have had this infection.  It causes by a bacteria that attack the trachea.

You will find it hard to breath, have a croup like cough, your throat will be sore down to your chest. The cough will get worse at night and you will find it gets worse at night and worse still over a period of days. And find you will have difficulty talking.

A course of antibiotics like Klacid sorted it for me.

Stress can bring on many illnesses but I am not sure about this one.

I hope this helps.

I have same problem. My throat closes when drinking somthing hot or cold and some time eating food. I also have breating problem, its not astma but something else, which no body seems to know. I also have dryness in my stomach and when I eat some thing my throat hurts to begain with but beter later. Recently I went to hospital and picked up a booklet entitled Sjogern's syndrome. I find my symptoms are some what similar.

I was at the hospital last nite due to this me and my husband had I argument and this is the second time that it happened to me. My breath is completly cut of and it feels like ages to get my airway to relax and let air in. The doctor at the hospital say that he can not prescribe anything for me. I live with this stress of going to die because I am going to suffacate if there is no one araund me to help.

Print all these posts and bring them to ANOTHER doctor!

Hi, butterflygrl.

Your situation sounds identical to mine, and I may have an answer for you. Although you may have the answer as well, since it's been six years since you wrote your post.

Summarizing your health issues (and identically mine): feeling of throat closing up (mainly at night), thus being afraid to sleep; acid reflux; experiencing an inordinate amount of pain following muscular exertion; bronchitis; asthma but not asthma (in my case, they called it "exercise-induced bronchospasms not associated with asthma"),...

This all makes me wonder whether you might have myasthenia gravis (MG). I suggest you do some reading online about it and get as much information as possible when approaching the doctor(s). The reason being, given the condition's rarity, even neurologists tend not to know much about the disease & don't know how to properly test for the condition. There's a blood test that can detect myasthenia gravis in 85-90% of patients, but some doctors stop at a negative test result and overlook testing the remaining 10-15% of patients. Something to keep in mind in prep for the doctor's visit,.. if the doctor is testing for neuromuscular weakness, make sure he tests for muscle fatigability (many doctors neglect to do that & end up telling the patient they're fine). Be prepared to have to visit multiple neurologists to find someone who can properly diagnose. Anyway, I hope this helps.

I also have that suffocating throat closing at night.d it feels like I will suffocate. I struggle to swallow an I have acid reflux desease as well. Sometimes during the day I gag on my own breathe out of the blue and it's like I swallowed food or drink that went down the wrong pike.

Go see a larologist a specialist of the through, nose and mouth. You probably have through spasms.

I have a very suppressed Immune system and this does happen to me, especially after consuming a lot of alcohol, I haven't really been eating well or taking any sort of medication over the years, since it's been a few years dealing with this. Now I am feeding better and it's been very helpful. I would suggest a very intense check up of your health at this point, Have yourself checked for any major deceases and Infections related to your symptoms especially those that affect the immune system . Not all Doctors know what they are doing, so Insist they get to work on you health. Get treated for Candid or Yeast infections or many other gut infection, Research your symptoms. Get a real good natural mouth wash and soak you tooth brush in Hydrogen peroxide after each time, That's if you have symptoms in your mouth and last but the least, Your diet code should be: Water, Fruits and Vegetables, at least try. Hope this works for someone :)

I'm 11 and I have the same thing. I have throat numbness, tightening, and trouble breathing. I don't know what it is. It may be an allergy or asthma triggered by an allergy or something.

searched this thread for a solution a week ago found nothing. Did some research and found this book my mom had on face and neck exercises. I tried this one and no sore throat and didnt feel like i was going to choke at night after doing this.I feel rediculous doing this but its worth it for the 2 min it takes every night.In the mirror make as big a smile as you can at the same time take as big a bite as you can while breathing deaply through your mouth.This worked the same night i did it and the second day i did it could actually feel the flap that was closing in my throught moving as i did the exercise.This worked for me hope it works for you as well.