It is allergy, and anxiety can cause it but also certain foods . See a Doctor, for the possibillilities of these things. I had it too for 2 years it comes and it does go away, don't be scared dear, it will go away mine did. sleep on extra pillows too. Hope you get better, God Bless, let me know. GIGI

I went to the ear throat doctor and had the tube stuck down my nose and my throat numbed.  I was told ACID reflux and was prescribed Aciphex.  My complaint was that I felt like a ball of flem just kept getting bigger and bigger and wasn't allowing me to swallow properly.  The Aciphex worked great to clear this out.  Like a miracle.  Actually the insurance sent me a "generic" and it did not work.  I think it was Prilosec's generic which I had already tried because it's what my husband takes for his intigestion.  Anyway, I was swimming at my sister's pool the other day.  I have always been a swimmer and on the dive team in High School.  I dove in and went under water and tried breathing out my nose and I almost drowned!  The flap in the back of my throat closed.  If I breathe out right now even, it closes.  I am scared of cancer or something.  I went to the hospital and had a swallow test and everything was fine.  Does anyone else ever feel this or know what it could be?

she's having panic attacks/hyper-ventalating

It's about one year I having the same troubles of yours. it is the stress... And the worst thing is happening to me, the peoplclings what is going on with me, do not understand when is the moment to live me alone.

I got exactly the same issue and the same fear of something terribly bad!!

oh thanks for this forum!

I fell the same from about one year.. it's stress... Unfortnately people do not understand when is the moment to live you alone.

Ps. Sorry, it was 3am when I wrote the first comment.

The same thing happens to me sometimes 2am/3am. I will wake up gasping for breath making noises like a sever asmatic, throat tight, can't breath. It does not last long but ruins my throat/voice for the next day. I love milk and when I drink a lot of it, and I mean a lot, sometimes this happens. No milk and it does not happen for me anyway.

i have the some thing no body knows what it is or what it could be

Well,where to start okay let me say this from the start if any of you feel like you have a problem breathing or your throat is closing i would hound  the doctors over and over until you are satisfied the doctors understand!!! because truthfully they dont.My wife had the same thing.It all started about 4 1/2 years ago she had pain in her chest area i took her to the hospital ,they ran some tests and gave her ekg nothing showed up then they decided to do xray and then they said she needed quadruple bypass surgery which she declined because she had this fear of going under she would not come out of it.The doctors told me if she left the hospital without the surgery she would not last 1 week,that she would die!!well she still chose to leave the doctors gave her prescriptions to clear the arteries,,well 2 1/2 years later her heart doctor said she was fine  but she did not have full energy  but she was adamant about taking her medicine like clock work  all was well so i thought?.My wife had come down with a sore throat she went to one of those clinics and they said she had strep throat she was  put on antibiotics and it cleared up but for only a little while she would complain of tiny little balls in her throat and she would always have phlem that she would spit constantly.she went back and again the clinic said she needed antibiotics, again cleared up.but never got over the phlem build up.Now hear is the part she would have trouble breathing She would wheez all the time her voice would go hoarse for awhile she woul go back and  be pt on some more antibiotics again it was said she had strep throat.During this time of her life her heart doctor said she was fine with her heart.My wife would still go to work every day ,and i would think she was fine ..She would not still breathe very well and her throat would feel like it was closing but she managed okay with this whatever this was.There was 1 time she would have an episode where she could not catch her breath she tried putting a toothbrush down her throat so she could breathe.well the thing that i am trying to explain is tell your doctors over and over until they understand what you are talking about MY wife had 1 final episode last year and she did not make it .Her throat closed up and she could not breathe and i could not do anything about it. I felt helpless and still feel that way  so listen to the person help them get the help they need..

I am really sorry about your wife and really feel for you alot. Can you tell me how old she was? I get the sore throat as well but probably once every six months or so. I have an RX of penicillin that I keep in a cabinet. One or two and the throat is fine. I contributed it to my psyriasis. At the onset of it I get a sore throat. Maybe it isn't that and maybe it is something else. When the throat closes, it feels like a swalled a shiny copper penny (like when you put a penny near a filling in your teeth?) Weird but true. I don't have trouble breathing but swallowing with the sore throat makes me throw up..it's like the I am about to swallow my tonsil! It's VERY hard to explain so it can't be that common. How often were her sore throats? I don't have any chest pain other than a twinge once in a while but it is a common twinge. I am 50 years young and don't want to leave this world too early if I can help it. My throat gets hoarse also but only once in a while but I have definately noticed it. As well, some words stick to the back of my throat sometimes...very different and very unique I believe. Something that doctors don't really understand??? Again, I am sorry for your loss. Any future thoughts, please leave them on the forum for all of us. Thank you kindly.

Maybe you are allergix to the amoxacillin?? I am having this same phenomena along with itchy skin and IDK what it could be...although I have had the reaction you are talking about when I was diagnosed Trazadone (a sleeping medication) and when I told the Dr. my symptoms they upped my dose. They took me from 100 to 300mg until one day I couldnt hear, my head started buzzing and I passed out. It wasn't until I described this incident to a Dr. a few YEARS later did THAT Dr. inform me that my reaction was allergic, much to our dismay that the original Dr. had been essentially poisoning me! Just remember it is YOUR body, and to always be aware of what it tells you and be adamant about your symptoms to your health care professional. You know better than anyone what you are feeling, and your dr. knows better than anyone how to help you, it's up to you guys to just make sure you communicate :) Hope this helped somewhat!

ps, i JUST read the reply above me and (obviously) yes, agree with the importance of being adamant with your message and what you want to achieve, and ALWAYS better safe than sorry when it comes to respiratory complaints!!!

I have the same thing going on .It feels as if my sinus swell  and my throat feels as there is a lump in it it is more like the space behind the chin as to the throat ..It seems to be worse after taking my advair ..

I love all the info here....It happens to me when I am having a Upper respitory infection...My throat gets so dry and exactly when I am sleeping it happens!! it just happened about 2 hours ago....this time it was really bad!!! I woke up and I couldn;t breath!!! My first reaccion was to (besides...loudly trying to get some air...gasping) I ask God to help me first...in my mind of course...I said Lord Help me!!! then I went to the bathroom and I turn on the water and I wet my fingers and I opened up (kind of) my troath with my wet middle finger and it worked!!! I started to get domr air....then I coughed a kittke bit and I feel like it was feeling tight again....I was more calm this time....then I don't know how long this thing was....but for me it was a very long time!!! then I came to my room and decided that I should not go back to sleep...I know I am going to be very tired....but it's ok.....I am afraid it may happen again!! so I googled dry throath and found this....i am not the only one....But when you said don't panic I was thinking: how can you not panic ...when you are not breathing!!! and before that you were asllep!!

My throat closes as well along with headaches ever since i have been taking thyroid hormone replacement

I have had this for several years. But mine happens for many unknown reasons. I can swallow and it happens. When it happens, it feels like I can't get my breath at all and I am gasping to breathe. Inhaling very deeply. finally when I can calm myself down, I can breathe again, but it takes awhile to totally feel like my airway is open. I have had it happen while eating different foods, drinking, swallowing, and coughing. I have had my throat stretched before, but not sure if that helped. I was diagnosed with GERD, and take Ranitidine as needed now. It is extremely scary when this happens, especially when you are home alone. I had an episode at the zoo with my granddaughter with me. She was a trooper and calmed me down. I am going to have it checked out again soon.