my throat closes up completely sometimes if anything hits the back of my throat, even my own spit. I wake up occasionally and it closes up at night and scares me. I don't know why it happens. Could it be allergies? I don't know of any I have. Sometimes I can get a tiny air in and other times it completely locks up and just when I think I will collapse, it opens. Very scarey. I once had it checked and there was no blockage, the doctor said it was a throat spazm. Still does not help me when it happens. thanks for listening to me.

kate

Hello All - Today I finally did a google search for "Throat Closes Up" and was elated to find this page! Unfortunately, the reason that brought me here is the same reason it has brought all of you here as well.

I wanted to share some things I do that helps me breath -and same deal...I am not ill or sick or have a cold or a virus....my throat closes up here and there and every day to every other day it is scratchy. Many times I'm talking on the phone and my voice begins to break and then the throat begins to close up.

Here is what I do to combat my now 'definite ailment'.

1. Bought an excellent dehumidifier (I live in Florida) it helps a lot!!

2. I also take a Claritin here and there when my throat is really bad.

I'm going to see a doc soon and hope it's not esophogus cancer? Who knows...I have to be honest I really pushed my body when I was younger and it's probably just Karma coming back to pay me a visit....any way - Wish all the best for you all out there...my wife is from Thailand and she uses a lot of "Chinese Medicine" - that works good too but I have been trying to stay away from drugs --- unless my condidtion is really bad....Take care...Thanks for reading.

i am in the same situation. mine started with my tongue swell about 4 months. now, all of a sudden my throat feels like closing up at times. i have thyroid disease and it causes all sorts of problems. I also have acid reflux. i stopped taking my acid medication and that's when all of this started. i will be seeing a slew of doctors with the next couple of weeks. it is the worst feeling in the world. i just want to know what it is and to fix the problem. my mouth is so dry and i am afraid to eat. i also get a stiff neck and wonder if it could be the nerves in my neck...i'm just so over this. will keep you posted on what outcome.

Look into VCD (Vocal Chord Dysfunction) - I have similar symptoms and I believe it might be that.

Hello all. Glad to see I am not alone. I was dxd with Ankylosing Spondolytis in my late teens. This is a rheumatic disease which causes lots of other diseases and disorders. I take a ton of meds daily just to walk and have a half way normal life.

A couple of years ago I was dxd with Acid Reflux, Hyatal (spelling?) hernia, and sleep hypopnea. The hypopnea happens not only at night but during the day also. It sometimes happens when I am eating or drinking which causes my throat to totally close. When this happens and I have food or drink in my mouth it gets really scary. I have tried to remain calm and try to get someone's attention just in case "this time it won't open and the food will go down".

During my sleep test I was told I have a very bad case of Fibromyalgia (another disorder from the AS. The Fibro is causing my muscles in my throat and my esophagus to relax and totally close. It is weakening my breathing muscles. Another scary thing to deal with. I was told to double up on my sleeping meds...I have NO idea what that will do other than relax me even more...which they are saying is the reason for my problem?

Your throat closing could be caused by a variety of diseases and disorders.

i have the exact problem but i have a tonsil infection also if u eat a lot of dairy products it makes the mucus thick and it can get stuck to the tonsils so u may have to get them removed if not u should go to the hospital and have them check them out

This really is scary.. im 22, and just started feeling really.. scared, woke up all sweaty and the same feeling of my throat closing.

Even writing this its the same feeling, little paranoid... and dont want to go to sleep anymore just incase it doesn't open up. Its the first tiem its happened to me, or well that i know of.. feeling a little faint
I thought it was due to not eating food (havent ate anything today) just feel a little sick.

If anyone does find a solution to help with this then please do reply here. Its scary and well a bad feeling :-(

It really sounds as if many of you (not all, of course) are suffering from GERD - just do a search for GERD and you'll find out more. It's basically really bad acid reflux that forces your esophagus closed, causes scar tissue, etc… all of which makes your throat feel like it's closing. I have it too, I know it's scary! But there are lots of ways to help it - medication, avoiding certain foods, even surgery.

Reading Alot of that scared me.
I have a phobia of my throat closing, Maybe its just because I think alot more about it now, But I feel like its smaller then it should be. Its weird to feel my spit, or even food on my throat anymore.
Does anyone know what the phobia is called? I cant seem to find the name.

Im also scared when I eat mushrooms and nuts, because its such a common allergy, that can result in such a thing happening. o.O

I started having the most of symptoms that were written here. I saw an ENT doctor over a year ago with this problem. At the time, I didn't have an acid problem, but the doctor told me that the part that connected food pipe to the throat was swallen and suspected that I had acid relux. Then, I took a month of antiacid mecine. I still had that hardship of breathing at night especially when I lied on my back. Now, since last Dec., I started having heartburn and later acid reflux. And I notice that when I turn my head about 75 degree sitting down, I run out of breath and can't stay that way. I was again on antiacid medicine for a month, which caused me a problem with digesting. Then, I stopped taking it for a week, and now I constantly feel like having a lump in my throat, not just night time and constantly. Some mentioned about dairy product. I heard about that too, so recently I changed to soy milk from milk. Since I stopped taking that antiacid medicine, it got worse. So, I might want to take it again, although I know that it will cause me constant upset stomach.
Good luck with everybody, and please post it if anyone finds out what's the problem with it. BTW, I don't know if it has anything to do with anxiety. This pain comes first before I know it; that means physical pain reminds me that I have had this problem. Also, in my case, when I turn my head to 80 degree, I can't breathe.

My throat was feeling like it was closing up for the past 3 months.. doctors couldnt figure it out.. They put my on antibiotics and prednisone, nothing was working I just kept getting worse! Finally I decided to emliminate things I was taking for other reason. I had been taking nexium for stomach pain caused by anti-inflammatores. I stopped takign the nexium after looking up side effects of it because I had all the <1% side effects! 3 days later now and I am about 75% better!!! So if you're having the feeling like something is stuck in your throat or like somebody is choking you check for allergic reactions to meds and foods! Try illiminating things until you find the problem. :-D Best Wishes!

I had had this throat closing for years off and on. Out of the blue I will go to take a breath and I can't.because my throat has closed.It just has to be a little of my own saliva that sets it off. I end up gasping for air making a terriblr noise and after 4 or 5 gasps i can get some air in. each time this happens I think I am going to die or at least black out.

I just had this happen to me and was rushed to the emergency room. I woke up in the middle of the night with food coming up and acid. My throat was burning and while I was trying to clear my throat, I lost my voice -- worse than having laryngitis. I ate a small piece of bread to help absorb the acid that was right at the back of my throat. That helped, but next thing I know my throat AND nasal pasage were starting to close. 911 was called and the paramedics came. I was conscious and breathing in some way, shape, or form as my oxygen levels were 100% and I was completely coherent and communicating with everyone. So what happend?

I just saw my doctor a few days after this (the emergency room doctor didn't offer up a whole lot of information; he just looked at my throat and took a throat x-ray and put me on Benadryl). What my doctor told me is that this was a spasm due to the acid but anything coming up can trigger this. The throat closes, but he said it won't kill you -- it will eventually relax and go back to normal. Since I had it happen to my nasal passage too, it was scary. He said the worst-case scenario would be to black out but you would still get oxygen (my oxygen levels were 100% when the ambulance got there). Because this stuff coming up went into my system and introduced histamine, he told me Benadryl was the right course of action. By the time I had taken it, my throat was normal but my nasal passage was still tight. About 20 minutes after taking the 50mg of Benadryl, I felt relief as my nasal passages began to open again. He said if it happens again and I can still swallow, to take Benadryl right away and head to the emergency room. LIkely, by the time I get there, it will all be better and it will be a false alarm.

It was interesting to know this could happen. It was a scary sensation and, if you are scared and not certain what's going on, calling 911 -- as I did -- is the absolute right thing to do. But at least I know that the throat actually spasmed and was closing.

I hope this helps someone or at least helps you open up a conversation related to this with your doctor. I wish the emergency room doctor had conveyed this so I wouldn't have been so scared to go back to sleep that night, though the Benadryl didn't give me a choice! :-)

So, it happened to me this morning at 2 a.m.

I had some very spicy mexican food around 6 p.m. and a couple glasses of wine. Watched a movie and went to bed around 10 p.m.

I woke to a "squirt" of stomach acid coming up my throat, which caused my throat to close off. I immediately sat up and tried to take a breath. Not happening. Finally got some air through and my wife woke up and was trying to help me...I sounded like a hoarse seal trying to force air into my lungs. Finally the throat opened up enough for me to get more air, but it was a scary 30 secs.

This happens occasionally and it freaks you out. I drank some water to neutralize the acid in my throat and took a Zantac. Propped up two pillows and waited 30 mins and then eventually fell back asleep.

For me, whenever I eat spicy food/wine from now on - it's Zantac before I go to bed!

I am 41 and somewhat overweight but not totally...and have Sleep Apnea. Ask your doc about it.

Before treatment I would wake up feeling smothered and be sweaty and weak. I would wake up in a panic attack many times. It was HORRID. Since being treated with cpap, I have not had it one time in over a year.

I see a Pulminologist for my sleep apnea. I HIGHLY recommend getting checked out for it.

Angi