this is such a bizarre condition!  i'm sad to say that i've experienced symptoms for the last 13 years and have tried so many different things (and spent so much money) trying to find THE cure.  i've gone down the medical route, had the camera down the throat and the doctors saying everything was fine... been prescribed lorazepam which kind of worked but i didn't want to be on benzos for the rest of my life.  i've had speech therapy several times with different therapists, none of which have worked.  i've been to an osteopath that specialises in vocal chord dysfunction - he very painfully manipulated my larynx and the muscles around my neck - that didn't work.  i've had the alexander technique, rolfing (structural integration), even been hypnotised... and the symptoms still persist.  the symptoms i experience are:

-tightness of the throat that often comes on without any clear reason... other times may be related to a large and heavy meal, drinking alcohol or physical exertion -constant throat clearing (must be annoying to people around me!)-tightening when i travel by plane which makes me think it's related to pressurestrangely, my throat is best and relaxed the whole day when i am hungover - does anyone else experience this???  also, not many people have talked about how it impacts their voice.  do people find that it does?  for me it feels like my voice is high up in my throat rather than resonant in my chest... i'm unable to talk loudly or shout so loud places fill me with anxiety (a bit of a chicken and egg situation here - what comes first, the sensitivity to the noise causing the anxiety and tight throat or the tightness causing the anxiety?  either way, it's horrible and really affects my social life).  i am a yoga teacher but find my voice tires quickly when having to project it so it becomes weak and thin.  leading to more anxiety...

sigh.

it's incredible that so many people experience this (or something similar) but that it's still not understood.   -

omg!! i have the same problem!! :0 but, i have had this for years too! but my little daughter, has this too! :'( can somene help me too?

thanks for sharing butterflygrl.

It is really suffocated when throat seems being closed.How many of the people who posted here used sleeping pills for long duration as it is also happens when sleeping pills usage is withdrawal. I used a sleeping pills Ambien for more than a year but with intervals. At the withdrawl i have issues of acid reflux, throat closing with sudden acid raising feeling from stomach and axiety. it seems that closing throat is a  more a physiological symptom oftenly. However, other throat issues may cause this. i  consult homeopathic doctor and tried to keep myself calm and avoid spicy or overcooked food just to avoid bleching. its better now. In other causes, vocal cord may be effected or it may be due to mucus accumulation in case of babies and elders too.

I'm not a doctor but I have studied sleep (my area of expertise) in University. These symptoms sound like you have "sleep apnea" it affects many people and lots of people don't know they have it. I would recommend going to see a sleep psychologist. If he/she diagnoses you with it you all you have to do is wear a mask to bed with a water filter attached which pressurizes the air when you sleep. If you want to know more about it email me and I'll personally reply when I get a chance. But for now consider that because it sounds, to me, that that is what it is. best of luck!

Could be symptom of Lyme or spirochetes

Please HELP me I do not want to choke to death!!!

I’m hoping someone will help me. Growing up my throat use to close up once every 1-5 years but now that I’m getting older I find that it is closing up more often. It recently has closed up twice in the past 2 months and now this weekend I was having problems eating even if it was 2-3 bites of salad. It’s not because I eat a lot.  I eat small meals like salad and yogurt. When I say my throat closes I mean it closes I can’t breathe through my nose, I literally can’t inhale. When I’m trying to breathe I make a horrible gasping echo sound. I feel like I’m going to die. Then when I start breathing my throat will hurt and I cough for hours, I feel like I can’t clear my throat. In a way I feel like someone should video tape it just so I could show the Dr. I have a great life and I know it’s not anxiety, I don’t have a history of anxiety.

Hiya, I had really bad panic attacks from last April to October 2012 where I felt like my throat was closing up. It was awful. So panicking causes throat closure. However it can happen with hayfever too.

Have you gotten an answer? My husband has been going through the same thing. Exactly as you described.
Bronchitis, Amox, prednisone, amox again... etc.

I just found something called a laryngospasm. It's a reflex. I wonder if that's it. I'm very curious and scared. My husband's throat just closes up and he has passed out already.

I have been experiencing the same problem for almost a month... On and off but these past three days its happens all the time.. I feel like my throat is closing and i can't breathe normally... the feeling is the same with when you hold your breath when swimming.. even if i am not holding my breath my throat closes suddenly and i will be gasping for air. yesterday i was in the hospital and had oxygen. i was also given tranquilizer which gave a temporary relief but today i still have difficulty breathing...i woke up gasping for air and it happened twice last night... i have never felt that before thats why i am too scared... i do not know if this is related to my temporomandibular joint disorder which apparently has caused my facial and neck muscles to get stiff and probably has pulled my throat muscles tight. If anyone has found a cure for throat closing up please let me know because each time i experience that i feel like i'm dying. PLEASE HELP ME!

Hi

i've been dealing with these problems for over twenty years now currently going through a bad time with it now

was 3 years before that there are a lot off things that can trigger it and make it a lot worse and it can be difficult

to get it back under control again as i'm finding i hope some off you are now feeling a lot better feel free to

ask me anything about it

I am currently going thru same thing. feels like I am choking and constantly spitting up phlegm but only when I lay down.
going for gastro. in October - had ultrasound done on thyroid and it shows lympnodes but nothing to worry about. constantly feel like I have a cold. just been reading about the bravo procedure - to have this done within the next couple of months but not too sure about it now - sounds like it is not worth going thru - have you had this procedure done yet? I am currently taken 2 pills of one kind and 1 dexilant at bedtime for my acid reflux
take care

PLEASE HELP US WITH AALIYAH SHE IS 8 YEARS OLD GOOD HEALTH UNTILL LAST NIGHT..ALL DAY SHE EAT PIZZA BECAUSE SHE LOVES IT AND AFTER SHE EAT ABOUT 10 MIN LATER SHE SAID OMG GIGI I CANT BREATH IAM CHOKING WHATS WRONG WITH ME SO WE JUNP TO HER AND I LOSED CONTROL AND SHE GOT SCARED ALOT THEN MY HUSBAND SAID BABY TAKE A DEEP BREATH 3 TIMES AND SHE DID THEN GOT OK BUT A LITTLE WEAK AND EYES LOOKED GLASSY WE WENT TO HOP AND ALL WAS GREAT HEART,BLOOD SO THEY SEEM TO THINK ITS ACIDE REFLEX...SHE SAID IT FEEL LIKE PREASHER,AND LIKE HER THROTH IS CLOSING  AND CANT BREATH....SHE IS 8 AND WE ALL ARE SO SCARED AND NOW WE TAKE TIME SETTING UP WITH HER SO SHE DONT STOP BREATHING,,,PLEASE HELP US WITH AALIYAH....SHE SAID LIKE PRESHER,OR SOMETHING IS IN HER THROAT...WHAT DO U ALL THINK...Bless all that read and takes the time to read and reply...today she did feel it one time but not bad.....the xray showed nothing in her throat and hearth was great......

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

Hello..it's been a long time since you posted this so not sure if you still have this problem! I started having the same sensation of my throat "closing up"...was happening more and more often. Initially, because I am an asthma sufferer I thought I was having an asthma attack...which can cause pretty much the same sensation. I think that this throat sensation of closing up is called "Vocal Cord Dysfunction"....I found some Relaxed throat breathing exercises which work for me every time I get what I call an "attack". Need to sip water before and after doing these exercises...but basically to gently, take quick "sips" of air IN (pursed lip "sip", "sip", sip") Can use a straw to do this but not necessary. Then gently, blow of air OUT ("blow," "blow," "blow." ) Breathing in and out should be relaxed. Can practice when not having symptoms. When having an attack might take a few minutes to feel the relief. This technique definitively works for me so hopefully might help some other readers of this :)

hi.

i been experiencing my troat closing as well lately..i dont know what to think is wrong,,it scares me so much sometimes i dont want to go see the doctors i am so sick of seeing them and telling that they cannot find anything, tighness in the chest right along with closing of the troat,,,is been happening now for a over a month or so..help here!

Laryngospasms are caused when even the slightest bit of something threatens to go "down the wrong pipe." Your throat closes up and breathing IN is near impossible. I am posting this because my friend who is an anesthesiologist tells me that it happens a lot when taking out a patient's breathing tube. Since we all can't be around medical professionals when this happens to us, here is a tip that I wish I had known about while I had this happen to me. When you know it's about to start, choking, coughing, burping, etc. BEAR DOWN, stop whatever you are doing and push like you're trying really hard to poop. You may have to do it two times or so but it has worked for me.