An on-call doctor told me there are two categories that cause a closed throat:

* a problem in the throat
* a problem in the nerves

It's best to have your doctor identify the cause.

Also, sometimes your throat can be going into a bit of a spasm. Try to relax if it happens. The worst thing you can do is to become tense, which makes it constrict further.

Again, see a doctor to identify the cause.

Hi guys,

I had the same problem and I didn't know what's causing it. However after a few years I also got Cronic Fatigue Syndrom and I came to the point when something needed to be done since I wasn't able to work anymore and doctors didn't find anything. After extensive research and with the help of the book Take control of your health and escape the sickness industry (author Elaine Hollingsworth) I realised my body isn't producing enough stomach acid and that has caused Leaky Gut Syndrome (Google this term). By the way heartburn is caused by the stomach acid insufficiency (I've seen many of you are reporting this problem) and by taking tablets to suppress it even more you're just masking the simptomes but really harming yourself (pharmaceutic industry is makind 7 billion dollars with acid supressing drugs every year, so don't expect them to tell you that :-S ).

Anyway, check the web site and see if you recognize yourself in what they're talking about. Anyway that's what helped me.

Wish you all the best,

Vesna

Guest wrote:

Guest wrote:

My throat has felt like it was closing up for a couple weeks. Now it's almost constant. I think it first started when I was lifting weights at the gym and it felt like I had pulled a muscle in my neck or something. It's not painful and it doesnt keep me awake at night, but it's annoying. Feels like I'm having an allergic reation to something. Does anyone know what's up with this before I spend money at a doctor?

Whoa, we may be onto something. I started experiencing the same thing after pulling a muscle in my neck.

I don't have health insurance and don't make much money at all, so I can't really afford a doctor, but this thing is driving me mad. I've always had stress problems, but they've intensified lately with it being the holidays and one of my friends being diagnosed with terminal breast cancer... so that might be the issue. I plan on buying some stress tablets and muscle relaxants later. If I experience any relief, I'll let you know.

*************************************************************************
Hi gang. I've had two neck surgeries recently, and noticed I have a lump in my throat feeling, too. I have to have water next to me when I eat because the neck muscles just don't seem to work well to pull the food down, so I choke if I don't have some liquid when I eat. Now I am experiencing something where my throat closes up, just like what I am reading in several posts here. So I am encouraged so many people are sharing their experiences with each other. Hopefull some of these answers pertain to others and give them some hope.

Today at work, all I did was drink water, and I could tell that first swallow somehow triggered my throat response and it closed up. For the next few minutes I gasped and wheezed trying to get my throat to open up, running to the bathroom as quickly as I could. When i get these I usually talk myself through them, relax, and the throat responds by relaxing. But it didn't work this time. As I leaned over the bathroom sink trying to relax, my body took over all voluntary reflexes and just wanted air. I gasped for several more times, then my bladder just let go! I was mortified and made it into a bathroom stall to let the rest out. Then I put my arms up high and leaned my throat back to open my airway. Gradually I was able to breathe again... and go home and change my clothes. I just can't imagine what happened.

So let's talk about the neck muscle thing a bit more. After my neck surgeries I had a chronic cough that lasted for a couple of months. A very spart physical therapist noticed I had a lot of scar tissue in my neck muscle area (myofacia) and massaged that area for a few weeks. At the end of 3 weeks, my chronic cough was gone! So now I'm thinking this throat thing is also wrapped around my neck muscles issues. Please continue to share your experiences so we can all learn of what our options are. Don't give up!

Hi there, i have had problems for over 4 years now :-(

I havent been able to narrow it down and I take on board all kinds of things people tell me that it is... stress, anxiety, panic attacks, depression, mild asthma, indigestion, copd, hyperventilation, allergies... i think thats all of the possibles i been told...

My symptoms are mainly shortness of breath sometimes or throat closes up sometimes... a wheeze, noisier sounding breath than I used to have... then some other not so frequent symptoms... mucus, rubbing at bottom left of my ribs with funny creaking noise when I breathe in and out, tiredness and probably some more that i cannot remember at moment.

My symptoms are never really severe and I think this doesn't help in getting me diagnosed, although I am greatful it is nothing serious. I had lots of tests... xrays always show hyperinflated lungs, imflammed lungs etc but apparently this is just radiologist being over eager and he doesn't see the whole of my body so cannot tell. All blood tests came back normal, breathing tests normal, no apparent effect with salbutamol even though I find it helps me. CT scan was fine too.

I am going for pysio again because my specialist thinks it is just "loss of normal breathing pattern" and says I may need to see a pyschologist to find out why I dont breath properly... I am also taking asthma preventer medication at the moment to see if it works... thought it was working as havent felt breathless for weeks... however today I was chatting quite a bit on the phone and my throat has gone funny again - think is after sleep it goes back to normal... its definitely closed slightly as I can open it up a bit by doing the yawn action....

Throughout all of this... a few months after I got breathless... I have had the mild wheeze every day all day... that never goes away... sometimes louder than others... to me... my problems will be gone when the wheeze is gone... although maybe some people develop a wheeze and will always have it? I love to sing though and now I cannot sing anymore because of it... i get mucus come up and if i sing a note i get like a shhhh sound along with the note.... i know i should be grateful i dont have anything massive wrong and i am "normal normal normal" but i can vaguley remember what it was like before and know it shouldnt be like this :-(

Anyways... the reason i posted... the first person I saw about this was ear nose and throat guy, who wasnt very nice as said "you dont have big lumps sticking out of your neck" as if I shouldnt be there!!! He did comment my neck muscles were very tight (and developed I think he said). I was doing taekwondo at the time... and find whenever i do anything muscle building (exercise wise) my throat gets worse... although the talking does it too.... hhhm.... i might try a chiropractor to see what they say... maybe it is all in my neck... its hard to know where it is all coming from "neck, throat, airways, lungs,all in my head???"

I want to give up sometimes thinking i have to accept it... then when it gets really bad I cannot accept it and it upsets me... ps i first got it after eating out at a curry resturant... feeling very full up... and at time thinking i feel really happy and content... then i got breathless... and have been ever since... (although much better since changing jobs where i dont talk as much). PPS also were some ceiling renovations at my work at the time and there was this thick dust i had to clear up and strong fishy smell too... (also wasnt smoking at time.. had given up for 9 months...). As part of giving up i took a depression tablet as part of a trial, and stopped taking that after 6 months of giving up... i wonder if i went back on it would it make my breathing go back to normal....

I just wish i knew what it was... I am analytical by nature so it does really bug me that i cannot work out what it is when it happens etc...

I could go on but i think i have written enough on the subject... my go have some salbutemol to see if that helps as I am wheezy at mo, slightly breathless, slightly throat closing up :-/

I have the same problem with my throat closing and I choke for a second or two and then it opens up. Sometimes it happens when something goes down my throat when I don't expect it like coffee or something. I also experience it just as I doze off to sleep.
I read that Milk of Magnesia can cause this to happen. I do use MOM and after I read this I stopped taking it. The problem seemed to be going away but I forgot a couple of days ago and took some MOM and now the throat problem is starting again.
Maybe people with this problem also take MOM. Anyone who can relate to this problem in this way can share their experiences and we could all learn something.

Hello, I have asthma and today I went to the doctor because I was wheezing heavily. My doctor prescribed me with an oral steroid called Prednisone, and the prednisone helped with my asthma but know I am having the same problem you are. I feel like my throat is closing up and it feels like there is a big lump in it, almost like a golf ball. And when I cough it's like a barking sound almost. It's awful! I know how you feel!

ummm.... hey i have struggled with tonsilitus n the past and now the meds i took for it has left me with breathin problems that causes my panic attacks to get the best of me. During my panic attacks my chest tightend up i feel dizzy and heavy at the same time and it feels hard to breath but now my throat feels like its tryin to close on me can anyone tell me whats happenin wut should i do.

I have the same thing, it feels like when i get a feeling when i have to keep coughing cause i get a bunch of stuff that builds up in the back. This morning i woke up feeling like my throat was very dry, and irritated, i got it checked and did wat the doc said, but it still doesnt go away. Today at night when i was just sitting in my room playing call of duty Waw i just started feeling dizzy/lightheaded/shaky/like i was running out of air/my chest and stomach felt very very heavy. Top of that and its still winter, and every year since i was like 8 or 9 i would get this.

Hi all,
I don't think that everyone is probably describing the same condition, but I want to offer one possibility, similar/related to vocal cord dysfunction, it is the condition when the larynx closes up for usually 30-60 seconds, often related to GERD. Terrifying! Condition is called laryngospasm.
Best wishes to all!

I am also having this problem. It started about 8 months ago and only happened maybe once or twice a month to begin with but now it happens a few times a day and at night. I'm scared. I have had all sorts of tests, barium swallow, ekg for heart, eeg, ct scan and no one can find anything. I'm scared that one of these times it is not going to re-open. I gasp for air each time and it last about 6 to 8 seconds. I worried something is really wrong but no one seems to find anything. Last diagnosis was anxiety but I'm not anxious when it happens and I don't have any of the other symptoms of an anxiety attack. Anyone found anything out?

Gosh, isn't this a terrible sensation? This throat tightening sensation feels like you're going to die (happens to me at night). Of course, here I am... still living and breathing! The fact that I've gone through this quite a bit... and still lived... should give us all comfort. You just need to stay calm, not dwell on it, and it will pass (as it does for me).

Keeping your throat lubricated (I always have a glass of water by my bed) seems to help. When it happens, and you can't get over the "panic attack", try and distract yourself, and soon your body will normalize.

I've had a similar problem but it's been sporadic and seems to have been brought on by a bout of bronchitis. I've been coughing and clearing my throat to excess and woke up unable to take a breath. Terrifying! The first time it happened I ran for my nebulizer, thinking it was an asthma attack (which I don't have, but had been prescribed to use because of the bronchitis). It helped.

As it turns out, I think it helped because the action gave me peace of mind, not so much the actual medication. This happened 3 or 4 more times and I found keeping a glass of ice water at my bedside helped just as much as the albuterol treatments.

I don't know if this will help anyone else because my throat hasn't constricted after those few times. For me I think I irritated my throat with all my coughing, but the ice water seemed to help me relax my throat muscles.

Hi all, I am 28 male I have had the same symptoms for about 13 yrs. now but just recently diagnosed with acid reflux. I do notice dry throat mainly at night and a feeling of phlem stuck it my throat. When I am stressed or having anxiety it does make it worse. I also have asthma. When this does happen I tend to panic which is probably why it gets worse. Some days are better than others and I'm trying to eat better which has been helping. Good luck to everyone your not alone in this. If anything has worked for others such as not drinking soda, smoking, I'd love to know some other ideas or theories that have worked for others.

iv been having the same feel with my throat and im very scared to go to bed but if u could reply and tell me more!

It is when you are sleeping and wake up for air gasping. Put on the fan overhead or A. C. or drink something sit up straight, sleep on 3 pillows, the higher the better. it does pass, but it is frightening when it is happening. It is like you are having a panic attack, or asthma attack, or you feel like you are going to die if you don't get air. open a window, srtick your head in the feeezer, for a few minutes helps a lot. It sometimes is triggered by a dream when asleep, or a movie you are watching or something you ate and are too full. Don't be scared it will pass, just get air as much as possible and try to calm yourself down and it will disappear. God Bless, Praying for us all! GIGI