I'm pretty sure what you guys are complaining about is the same thing I have. They're called "tonsilloliths" - they're caused by small bits of food getting lodged in the recesses of your tonsils (called "crypts"), where bacteria hitch a ride and, in a sense, "calcify" the deposited food. Basically it's like plaque for your tonsils, and it's horrible.

As a sufferer I've found that digging them out can be a little odd and sometimes painful if you damage the tonsil tissues themselves - I have really gotten into the habit of practicing good oral hygiene (lots of mouthwash!) and not eating too soon before bed (when you're sleeping, you swallow less and so there's a lesser chance of getting your throat to remove the things stuck in your tonsils).

Water picks are good for this sort of thing, I hear, but chronic cases need to be treated by a professional.

Check out a great article on tonsilloliths: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonsillolith

The talk page on this site has some remedies you may've not tried, either: wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Tonsillolith

Best of luck!

RF81

well i have also a similar problem with the coughing up smelly white balls of cottage cheese but recently i was diagnosed with strep throat, given antibiotics from my doctor that didnt work, went to the Emergency room and they gave me better antibiotics and 2 shots that helped it much better than the antibiotics prescribed by my doctor but now i have smaller but still swollen tonsils with holes that are pretty scary every time i get chills when i look at them but they sting when i try to eat and drink stuff how do i make them feel better for everyday life? or until the holes go away? which i hear go away after some time but they hurt alot and im still hacking up most of the pus that was in them

hey, i have a white lump on the right hand side at the back of my throat and it feels solid. I have looked on many websites and tried to get it loose but it wasnt happening. It hurts when i swallow, eat and drink, like it is tender and the food, drink etc is stinging it, does anyone have any ideas? its starting to worry me

i get those too. and up until a few minutes ago i never knew where they were comin from. i thought they were comin from my throat. i didnt even know these two holes existed in the back there. as soon as i realized where they were comin from i rushed online to do a search. thanks so much for the info.

i've been having this same problem for some time now but never knew where these white chunks were comin from. until a few minutes ago wen i looked in the mirror and saw 2 holes one on either side of my throat but only one was clogged this time. this seems to be happening more frequently these. wen i realised i had 2 holes i panicked and came online to do a search to see if this was normal. thanks so much to everyone who posted info on their experiences. it really does help to know i'm not alone. i love this site.

For what it's worth, I always had these. Very small now, but larger when I was a kid. I thought it was just me, but somebody called into Dr. Zorba's radio show with the same problem a few months ago. He said it was a naturally occuring glandular product, and required nothing but leaving them alone.

I noticed that I got these throat cheese particles when I drank more milk and did not keep my mouth and throat clean enough. I have not found any information by a doctor, but it seems to be caused by bacteria, food and a non-smooth throat. I no longer get this throat cheese now that I do not drink much milk, brush frequently and gargle with salt water if my throat feels unclean.

I am 72 years old and have had this problem for a long time. I have to clean the lumps out periodically by pressing on the tonsils with a Q-tip or finger. Finger is better as Q-tip only presses on a smal area. My throat is happier once this is done.
I forget about them until my throat starts feeling scratchy. The folds are deep and sometimes I think I have it all, but changing the pressure spot often finds another treasue trove of these foul lumps.
From what others have written I think, short of tonsillectomy, there is nothing to cure it and of all the problems you COULD have, this is a minor one. Be sure to wash you hands well afterwards, in case bacteria are involved. These days hand washing is VERY important even when they seem clean. Might not hurt to wash them first too.

I had the same problem for years-until I switched from drinking milk to drinking rice and soy products. I used to drink / eat ALOT of milk products! I found that the foul breath and the "throat stones" that went with it all but disappeared when I stopped drinking milk and cut back on milk products and found alternative substitutes. When I stopped with the soy drink product over a year later
(due to weight gain-the soy drinks that I found palatable had a tremendous number of calories) and the rice product ( bland, tasteless BUT expensive ) and went back to milk the stones and the stinky breath returned with a vengance! I guess there may be somthing to be said for those anti-milk proponents who say that cow milk isn't appropriate for people to drink; that the human digestive system can't adequately break it down ( ie lactose intolerance, milk allergies and apparently a contributing factor to tonsilloliths as well...). Anyhow, that's been my experience-hope it helps!

I cannot beleive how many people have these same symptoms i thought i was so wierd , but today (this white lump thing has been happening for years now ) i saw a hole im soooo scared aftr reading so many of these young people my age havin these holes feel relief but is this normal i clean it alot but whats the deal with the hole i mean.. it cant be good someone help me im scared..im going to do more research now.... :(

i get this alot too. the only problem is, i have had my tonsils removed when i was small. so does that rule out the tonsilitis theory?

51 and still get the throat buggers. My 17 yr. old just came to me yesterday with a large number of big ones in her throat. I took forceps and removed them carefully for her, having experienced them for years, as did my Mother.
I have found, in my case, the exclusion of white bread in my diet seems to end the problem. We eat only wheat bread now and for some reason they have gone away. I also use a turkey baster sometimes to suction them from my own throat, as the wife has an aversion to helping me.

I too get these little irritating tonsil leeches. I've had them for about 20 years and my right tonsil now looks like cottage cheese (Red Cottage Cheese,) Im thinking I should see a doctor.

Hi im eight-teen and my brother is seven-teen, and we have had the same problem for years. The first couple times that I have taken those smelly lumps out of my throat were painful because i used all kinds of objects. I have read that a few of you use Q-tips, nut i believe I have a better solution.
What I do is use the end part of a hair-pin (the part that curves) and scoop it out. This usually works very well, but do it carefully so that you wont hurt yourself. Hopefully when you feel it push to the front of the hole, you can catch it quickly. After removal, my throat usually stops hurting in about 5-10 minutes. Then im free to enjoy life for another month or two.

I have realized it is in my diet. Since the last time three years ago that I felt this discomfort in my throat and the occasional white stuff that comes out when I cough and a sense of feeling full. Just had a baby too.
I have recently, last seven months, been eating more processed food including sugar and fried food. Mainly white flour and possibly gluten in the foods.So now I am feeling the same way and will need to go through the process again.
What worked for me last time is a detox-rejuvenate by Helene Silver and a natural approach to eating( like the book recommends a new lifestyle), and Dr. OZ says
( realage.com). What I will be including is the Candida yeast diet recommended by a friend from centerpointhouston,com
This is a sign from your body letting you know what it needs and doesn't need.