I had a hammertoe operation carried out some 27 years ago. The operation was not a sucess as the pin was resting on a nerve and the pain was unbearable. I was told to accept it or redo the operation, I accepted it as to repeat the pain was not an option. Now 27 years later it is payback time, I have a bunion caused by the lack of support from the hammertoe that was supposed to be corrected and considerable pain in the ball of my foot all down to the failed operation, I am now faced with having to redo the hammertoe operation and address the bunion, god the thought of all that pain again is not worth thinking about

I had hanmer toe surgery two weeks ago and on a pain scale of 1 t 10 this is about a 3.....The pin is a little creepy and walking on the "big shoe" after a while is uncomfortable, but I'm looking forward to a full recovery. No surgery pain can cmpare to the actual hammer toe pain. I put up with it for 6 months and even if this post-surgery thing lasts 3 months, it will be over....for good. My only complaint was that I was given Vicadin and had an allergic reaction....red, itchy, hot head-to-toe rash...UGH! Unbelievably uncomfortable. One word of fact....be prepared to be pretty immobile for about a month....

Hey, I wanted to share my expirence too.
I had surgery on both feet- all toes except the big one- 8 toes! They fused my joints and i had pins in all 8.
I decided to do both feet because everyone told me this will be so painful and I should just be done with it.
I must say- recovery was NOT painful! first few days were hard, but lots of pain killers got me through, after 5 days I was ready to start moving, but my Doctor wanted me to stay off my feet as much as I can, so I was on bed rest most of the time.
I used awheel chair at first, adn after 3 weeks started using a walker.
Looking back i would have done one at a time, just because it is really not painful, and the hardest part about recovery was to stay of my feet. I hated it, and after 3 weeks was so depressed.
Yesterday was my 6 week mark, so the pins came out, I was scared for weeks because they do it with no anstesia, but to my big surprise it didnt hurt! I could feel pressure when the Dr fulled them, but no pain.
Last night was very painful, and today walking around was too, I guess it takes time..
I still have to wear these ugly post opp shoes for 3 days (the holes from the pins are still open, so I have bandages).

Update: Pins came out 10 days ago, and like I said wasn't painfull at all.
for 2 days I still had bandages and was not allowed to wash my feet, the I took them off myself.
The next day i started wearing normal shoes- I had to buy sneakers that are 1 size bigger, because toes are still swollen.
10 day later- toes look way better. still a bit swollen and very stiff, but i actually fit in a pair of my flats! walking slow but with no pain at all.
Very happy I did this, my toes haven't been streight since i was 20 probebly (Im 37 now), and the past few yeras they hurt all the time.

i went to the doctors on monday and he said ive got a hammer toe and might need to go for an operation im really scared im only 16 and its both feet the toe beside the big ones well they are sittin on the big ones is it sore ? will i need crutches ? how long till i recover ? how long after the operation is it before i could walk ? will it be hard to walk as soon as its done ?

i have to have this surgery along with charcot marie tooth disease surgery on july 6. i've already had the CMT surgery on my left foot last year in april, and now they are going to do the hammer toe surgery on my left foot and the CMT surgery on my right foot. for the CMT surgery i'll be in a cast for about 2 months and then a brace for 6 weeks, so how is my surgery gonna go with my left foot? i dont know what to expect. how long will my recovery be for the hammer toe surgery? (btw it's on the 3 middle toes of my left foot). I'm only 17 and going into my senior year of high school in august.

Karen,

I had surgery on 8 toes (all except the big ones) 5 months ago. Its wasnt painful, but you will have bandages and will use a wheel chair for about 2 weeks, then a walker or crotches for 6 weeks), you need to stay off your feet as much as you can for fast recovery.

I am 36, very healthy and ctive, and the doctors said because of that my recovery was fast and easy, I think the younger you are the better - because u r strong.

Once the pins came out i couldnt walk almost normal, i was somewaht slow for a week or two, but after that no prob. a month later i was back at the gym.

Good luck!

Had hammertoe surgery two days ago. 1st day, piece of cake. Ankle block wore off at 5 a.m. the day following surgery. Ouch! Pain meds do a good job of dealing with the pain. On day two, I am down to 1 pill every 4 hours instead of 2. Pain is like a burning sensation. Plan to lay low for another couple of days.

1 week from getting my pins out, i hooked and pulled out 2 of them, should i be worred for 1 week to go

I had hammertoe surgery a week ago - two toes on right foot. The doctor removed 1/4" of bone on both toes and inserted steel pins in each toe. I don't know who you people are who are having no pain and recovering in days. This is the MOST PAINFUL surgery I've EVER had. And I would NOT do it again or recommend it. 

I had surgery 11 days ago. So far so good. I purchased lots of sterile gauze pads and changed it daily. It was very hard to not get up and clean up or do something. I found that it was best to keep off of it and elevated!

who was your doctor

i have 4 hammertoes 2 on each foot got them from wearing tight patent leather shoes
in 2010 i saw a doctor about it and i mentioned to her that i wanted surgery she told me that she thinks it is a bad idea because even after i do the surgey and my foot is healed i will still be in pain..... i dont understand because i am in soo much pain now wearing leathers shoes, sneakers etc puts pressure on the hammertoe and sometimes makes my foot swell.... i wanted to know if u still experienced pain from the surgery 3 yrs ago

I had hammer toe surgery nearly 2 years ago on 6 of my toes to straighten them. I can safely say it was the worst decision of my life. I have to toes that wouldn't fuse together so they are still broken. I am having physio and acupuncture weekly.

I have CMT and hammertoes are common.  Wearing shoes became such a problem because the peak of my bone (big toes) would rub against the top of my shoe.  Padding didn't help.  I had the surgery to straighten my left big toe 8 days ago.  The procedure took 90 minutes and I had a 'MAC' to put me under.  I woke up after the first hour and was aware of drilling, but honestly, I was too 'stoned' to really care.  My foot was wrapped, I got a walking 'boot' (hot!), as well as a Darco surgical shoe which I sleep in.  Pain wise, I felt great until the anesthesia wore off and then got hit will some substantial discomfort.  I have a very high tolerance for pain, but this crossed over what I could handle on my own.  TAKE THE PAIN MEDS!  Stay one step ahead of the pain for a few days.  Elevate.  Stay off your foot.  I shuffled to and from the bathroom with crutches the first couple days.  

I have not seen my incision, my foot is wrapped until the end of the month.  I go 2 weeks with my surgical dressing before it is changed.  I'm off pain meds and have just relegated myself to doing activities that don't have me jumping all over the house or running errands.