I had hammertoe and bunion surgery on my left foot, on August 2nd 2013. It has now been three weeks, the stitches and pins have been removed,
and there is no pain, just a little discomfort. My problem is, my big toe is sticking up, I can't bend it, and my other toes are numb, and not bending well either. My question is, is it going to get better with time, or did I make a mistake by having this surgery?

A lot of people here are saying they had pins inserted for hammer toe,  I just had bunion removal and 4 toes done for hammer toe. The Dr said he took out bone in each toe.  Has anyone here had the bone removal?  I am doing real good I did NOT have any pain but took pain pills just in case.  All this was on my right foot so with a big boot on I can not drive till all heals.  BooHoo

I had surgery on September 20th 2013 on my left foot - toes 2,3,4,and 5 also having my Big Toe fused with a plate and four screws - (previous Bunion surgery). Today -October 2nd, I am going to have the stitches removed - about 2 weeks after surgery.  I had a spinal block and two knee blocks for anesthesia, and a general anesthetic as well. I had started taking the pain meds prior to the blocks wearing off - unfortunately, my timimg was off. About 16 hrs after surgery the pain was intense. However after gettin on a schedule with meds that worked, I have been 95% pain free since. I am hearing a lot of positive feedback on a full positive recovery, and hope my recovery is 90% or greater!

I am into the 5th week after surgery. 4 toes with pins due to come out in a couple of days. I had bunion surgery on both feet and not near as painful. I have been told I have a high tolerance for pain. I don't believe that anymore. the pain medication made me sick. I've been on a regular regiment of aleve, which helps a little. I probably will need surgery on the toes of the other foot. not looking forward to that. now that I know what to expect I will explore options to deal with the pain.

I'm a male who had HT surgery on my left foot in September 2013 (15 months ago). Before the surgery I had to have the 2nd and 3rd toes on my foot wrapped to avoid the pain while walking on the job.

The surgery was surprisingly painless. My 2nd toe was shortened 1/4 inch and my 3rd toe was shortened a lesser amount. What surprised me is that the surgery caused nerve damage to my foot, and it took me almost a year to get all the feeling back in my foot.

You must realize that you will be exchanging FIXED hammertoes for FIXED straight toes. You will be unable to bend your toes after the surgery. Tracie Pesuit  in Knoxville was my surgeon, and I am having her do my right foot in the spring of 2015.

At this point I am well pleased.