Open reduction internal fixation. Meaning they opened you up to put in afixstion device( plate, screws, etc.

So I fractured my foot on sept 30 2017. Had my surgery in oct 17 and 3 pins were placed. I was in nursing school so I had to find a way a to finish. I wasn’t going to take no for an answer. I had a scooter to help get around and crutches but then crutches caused bad nerve pain and the scooter I couldn’t get in and outbid of my house by myself. So I found this thing called and iwalk2.0. It’s a device bath at attaches to your leg and acts as a new foot. It got me through 3 months of non weight bearing and most importantly nursing school. Dec 27 made 10 weeks post op and the Dr have me the ok to walk with a boot. I was so excited to get on with life as normal but that wasn’t the case. I know it’s only 2 days of weightbearing but it’s not easy at all and it hurts a little more than expected. Determination and prayers are the o ly thing gonna get me through this.

Guys stay positive. I’m 7 months post op. Been through 15 rounds of physio. You will get pain for a number of months. You have to let your foot settle and works out it’s new motions. I’m just starting to run now and hope to be back to full strength in around 2 months time. Lisfranc will change your life but not restrict you. Footwear is really important. Get some crocs or ugg boots for around the house and spend some decent money on running trainers and insoles. It does get better. Don’t try and rush otherwise you’ll set yourself back! I had 2 plates and 8 screws. A total of 7 fractures in total. You will get pain and swelling for the first 18mths or so post op.

Ive read so many negative outcomes along the way. If you have a lisfranc injury--PLEASE go to the best doctor you can find that specializes in this particular injury. My doctor has done many of them with great outcomes. The fusion was the best choice for me to avoid arthritis. Important to remember each individual injury is different and different methods work well for different people. I read that so many people are in pain for a long time after Surgery. My nerve block lasted 72 hours. Now 5 days after surgery I am pain free! The doctor and Hospital are Key!!! i HIGHLY RECOMMEND THE HOSPITAL FOR SPECIAL SURGERY!!! They deal with traumatic injuries. This isnt for an ordinary ortho! I hope I can help someone by writing this! RESEARCH!!!!!!!!!!! Speedy Recovery FOr Everyone!!!! KEEPYour Foot UP!!!! no weight at all for 6-8 weeks!!!!

I’m happy to have found this thread about Lisfranc injuries. I myself experienced a lisfranc injury this year from a horse back riding accident on Jan 31,2018. I had a horse fall down on my foot/ankle as we were riding. Doc said it was pretty bad injury seeing a horse fell on me.I had the Lisfranc ORIF surgery done about 2 weeks after that on Feb 16th. I had to get 2 incisions and 6 screws put in. Surgery went well, and had a post op appt 5 days after surgery. Doc said he see me recovering 100%, seeing everything looked great on the xrays and little to no swelling and no discoloration. They prescribed me Naproxen 500mg & Vicodin 7.5mg for pain. I’m not a pill popper, but got on a schedule with them for them saying how bad the pain will be. It’s been 11 days today after surgery and I haven’t been taking any pain pills because I didn’t like the way they made me feel from the side effects,Doc said don’t take them if I didn’t need them, so i stopped taking them except for my Antibiotics. I haven’t been in any pain, I do feel a little tingling in my big toe from time to time but no pain to where I need the pills. So i feel like I’m healing ok. I go in for another follow up appt tomorrow. Praying everything is ok because I’m ready for this to be over with so i can get back on my horses !

I cannot tell you how much your post calmed my fears... I’m a “researcher” (not professional, I might add Lol) and the info out there about my upcoming surgery for Lisfranc injury had me literally shaking! Thank you!!

Hello to all .. thxs for your posts. I have a 17 year old son with Lisfranc surgery scheduled for next week; about 2 weeks after injury as swelling has subsided. He will need plates and screws as stabilization needs to be done on all 5 tarsils. Will keep posted.

Hi

I'm reading these stories ten months post injury and just wanted to share my experience because I had a severe complex lisfranc injury - 6 breaks, displaced first and second metatarsal and ruptured ligaments. I had 2 plates and 9 screws put in my foot, spent ten weeks non weight bearing and 17 weeks in a cast, albeit the lay 7 weeks it was a weight bearing cast. I thought I would never recover - who thought a simple trip off a one foot step could cause such damage. I was off work six months as I need to drive for work and didn't get back in my car for 22 weeks. My surgeon says my foot is brilliant considering, I have no arch loss at all and nearly full movement back. So what's different, well my foot hurts a lot when I go on long walks or have been on my feet too long, it sometimes swells and the colour of my skin is not quite the same, something to do with nerves I'm told. When it's fatigued I end up limping and sometimes this gets me down. I am trying to lead a normal life but have to keep reminding myself that it will take time and in all honestly probably won't be the same again. I've made changes - I was the girl that wears heels - not any more, I will probably have to change my car to automatic first chance I get, but until then I've changed my driving style. I'm not sure if I will ever be back to normal or if any day in the future I'll put my foot down and it won't ache or hurt or both with each step. Lisfranc sucks but I've kept positive, returned to driving and work and try and walk as much as I can to keep my strength up . It's been a life changing injury for me but I'm grateful that I'm walking and have remained positive for the future. All my screws and plates are staying put as I live in the UK and they don't routinely take them out. I wish you all a good recovery - it will happen