Hi, I am 21 years old and I have been thinking a a lot about changing my lifestyle. I have about 20 extra kilos, which is not that visible, but I sure feel them, especially when I have to climb the stairs, or lift something heavy. So, I have decided to combine diet and martial arts, could that be a recipe for a healthy life?

It most certainly was for me. I have started practicing when I was 24 years old and that was 6 years ago. Now, I am in a great shape, no extra kilos and I feel as if I am full of energy. Just be sure not to exaggerate, if you plan on seriously practicing than some severe diet is out of the question. Just start eating healthier for the beginning.

Hi terrill1893,

This is great way to get rid of that excessive weight. Although if you are planning with martial arts, such as Aikido for example, you should be careful not to stop eating. First you need to make a good plan. If you exercise you must have enough of energy to make through the whole practice. And our body is gaining energy from the food. So stop with unhealthy diet and exchange it with healthier one.

For example cut back on sweets and start eating fruits instead. Replace junk food with homemade meals and of course if you can avoid soft drinks because they contain artificial sugars.

I wish you good luck in your plan and let us know about your results.