Im 20 (well nearly) and I want a baby. I am in a long term relationship, and I cant seem to shut off this urge to have a family with my boyfriend. I know its not logical to have a child at this age, Im starting college in September, I only have a part-time job, I dont live with my boyfriend and he doesnt have a job because he is a full time student. I know all of these reasons are extremely important when considering a baby. I cant help this feeling though! Its driving me crazy because when I tell my boyfriend how much I would love to start a family with him, he lists all the above reasons and says he isnt ready for a child at our age. And I know he is right. But when this happens I get so sad and I feel horrible. Is anyone else going through this? How can you shut this off! I, my head I know Im supposed to want to go to college and have a career, to move in with my boyfriend and marry him before we have kids, but I want a child now. Apart of me wants all the above before I have a family but the other part is too overwhelming to ignore. Please tell me why Im like this?

You're dealing with the biological urge to have a child and continue the species.

Guys also have similar drives, except we interpret it as a desire to get laid, and score as often as possible.

Your boyfriend is to be commended for his recognition that planning for the future, with a career and studies takes priority right now.

He sounds like he's got his priorities right.  That's a valuable assett.

Don't give into the temptation to "accidentally get pregnant" cause there's nothing that will kill a relationship faster than a little one on the way when neither of you is ready, let alone prepared, to shelve your plans and devote all your energy to being a parent.

Thank you for your reply :) I would never "accidentally get pregnant" that is a horrible thing to do. I want to have a child when we both want to, I just dont understand why I want one so much right now. I was never like this until I got into this relationship. My boyfriend does have his priorities straight and I know he is right, I really do but I cant help this! Its so annoying, he is understanding but every time its brought up I get sad and frustrated and then he feels bad because he isnt able to give me a child at this moment in time. I just want to know if anyone knows how to get rid of the feel for now, or put it on hold.

Support your boyfriend.  Don't undermine his efforts to get an education.

Tell him to stick to his guns.