To help him get to sleep? If it is only a hand job and not sexual. To help him relax and go to sleep after a stressful anxiety day. To help him in controlling his sexual urges.  Is that normal?

Who cares? I think a mom should be there to comfort her son or daughter however she can help. 

Boys and girls have so many questions about their "private parts" and the workings thereof she needs to help with those too. I will be 80 soon and I remember having so many questions that went unanswered because schools and mom didn't. 

Apprentice

Interesting question. My take, though, is that a hand job that results in orgasm is sexual. How old is the son (although I really don't think it matters much)? I had constant erections even as a little kid, and my mom made many accommodations for that - pants and underwear that had plenty of room, cutting the lining out of boxer style swimsuits so I wouldn't be uncomfortable, telling me that erections were normal and natural and nothing to be ashamed of or worry about - but NEVER masturbating me. Sorry - I don't mean to judge, and quite possibly in some cultures that would be considered normal, but I have trouble seeing it that way. I don't think that's normal behavior.

The question and detail was not from me it was from a group of question on the internet. I do agree, hand job is sexually. This goes on more than you think. It very common in many families of mother or sister taking care of the boy in the family. The erection business is a serious interest to girls and women. That why many mothers have their son without pants at home so they can is erection. Boys and teens do not need to be a shame of any type of erection.

Apprentice

I totally agree that an erection is nothing to be ashamed of, but I don't see why a boy needs "help" with it. "Help" when I was a kid consisted of having me checked out by a urologist to be sure nothing was wrong, since I was erect most of the time, and buying me pants and underwear that weren't tight. It was never suggested that I needed a hand job, nor was I encouraged to be without pants at home. I could be if I wanted to, it wasn't a big deal, but even when it was hot I usually had at least underwear on. Okay, maybe a lot of girls and women are very interested in erections - I know some are - but honestly, I don't think I ever knew another boy who was "taken care of" at home by a parent or sibling. I certainly wasn't. Anyway, just my own experience. Maybe I've led a sheltered life - lol

You live a good life. Keep on living it.