I see and understand the stats but I guess I am just a dumb cop or something, it just does not seem to be that big of a problem. I am trying to make intelligent statements regarding what I believe is skewed data. I have to just agree to disagree with everyone. I just seem to be trying to give alternative theories. Oh well. This is going no where. You guys are all right and I am just going to keep being to racist or prejudiced to believe anything. It just seems to be another case of white man bashing that continues to plague this country. I am just sick of trying to defend this. Do people think that us white dudes have a secret society to keep people oppressed. No we don't. I am sorry to everyone for being born white and a man. It just sucks sometimes that everything I do is questioned. I can't do anything right anymore. Just remember, women are in lots of positions of power. They hire, fire and start companies. They can change all this from the top down and bottom up. If the women in power are changing and letting the status quo be that then shame on them. People can speak out or remain silent.

I think this is taking what everyone said a little too far. Everyone else has given data to back up their opinion, yet you accuse them of 'white man bashing' and presenting skewed data, when it's the very government that you love so much that conducted the most recent study presented. Also, please don't think that you are defending all white men when you speak. :twocents:

easy on the sarcasm people.

It just seems to be another case of white man bashing that continues to plague this country. I am just sick of trying to defend this. Do people think that us white dudes have a secret society to keep people oppressed. No we don't. I am sorry to everyone for being born white and a man. It just sucks sometimes that everything I do is questioned. I can't do anything right anymore.
How has this become a personal attack against you? There is plenty of specific data out there to support the fact that women get paid less for the same work. It is fine to present alternate theories, but don't cry "eveyone is picking on me" when you can't/won't present data to back up your claim. As for whether or not this is a big problem as people make it out to be, I would bet it would like a big problem is white males were the ones being paid less.

I was trying to give factual data to show just that, the facts and not try to base things on a personal bias. I for one currently don't fall into that statistic. I make more than most of my male counterparts, my boss is a female and 2 of my 3 employees are male. But that is just me and my teeny tiny situation here in Philly and I realize that it does not represent the majority.

I am responding in a general sense not to any one her specifically. I am just tired of always having to defend being white and male.

Why do you have to defend it? So one is saying all white males are evil, racist, sexist slobs who are actively working to keep women down. We're just stating the facts that men (especially white men) tend to get paid more for the same work. You can stick your head in the sand and deny there is a problem just because it doesn't cast you (speaking in generalities) in the best light, but that doesn't make the problem go away.

or you can do something about it. People need to quit being victims and make their bosses accountable. Talking about the problem wont solve it. Act on it.
I am all for fairness, but their needs to be fairness for everyone. Just simple paying a woman more money or hiring a minority does not change anything.

or you can do something about it.
What do you suggest?

I am all for fairness, but their needs to be fairness for everyone. Just simply paying a woman more money or hiring a minority does not change anything.
rtpd makes a good point. (my personal opinion) I think over time attitudes will change. The workforce of today is much different than our parents and grandparents generation. Sure we have a ways to go to level the field for all parties but it will take some time.

We that have to associate as being caucasian, even tho I'm 1/4 Cherokee; and no I'm not on the dawes rules, I've been accused of being a Mexican because I hold a tan like a Native American. YES, there is reverse discrimination against whites, as we are now the minority in the country. As being a Native American and immigrant blood alike, I completely believe we need to shut our borders and take a more serious approach to national security. I believe our national security is failing in there job. And I believe our government is letting us down as whole. What happened to a government for the people. And if you ask, yes I support our President Donald Trump,our commander in chief. I thought he'd make a great President before he even mentioned running. This country needs to be run like a business, and we need a business man to run it. GO TRUMP!!!!

By interruppted service I meant time off for children (years for instance).
wow, and their employer holds their position for them for years? So, I'm a teacher with 15 years experience, take a year off to spend with kiddo, go back, I'm suddenly less experienced than a 22-yr old. I'm not buying it. But mainly I'm not buying that a majority of women take years off for child rearing and even less that return to the same profession of that which they previously held. But then again, I don't believe in seniority anyway, I believe a person should be paid by ability. Some people take 5 years to learn on the job, what another does in day one.

or you can do something about it. People need to quit being victims and make their bosses accountable. Talking about the problem wont solve it. Act on it. I am all for fairness, but their needs to be fairness for everyone. Just simple paying a woman more money or hiring a minority does not change anything.
How is getting there is a problem mean playing the victim or imply a person is't trying to do something about it? If people won't admit there is a problem, it's kinda hard to get them to do something about it, doncha think?

Apprentice
Yeah i would also say yes because there is a room of discrimination everywhere ...

How does this get resolved? You have to apply quotas for every sort of situation - male/female, black/white, old/young, ad infinitum. And how are they applied - nationally? Regionally? Locally? How often do you refigure for demographc changes - Annually? Five years? Ten years? Not being irreverent with the above. But if one wants equality, these are things that have to be addressed to answer the big question - how do you acheive it?

For me, the biggest thing, is to change the way people think. There is still work to do in this area, despite how far we may have come in the past 50 years. I'm a strong believer in changing people first - people will still discriminate if its in their hearts or minds to do so, no matter how many laws we have in place designed to prevent discrimination. Maybe I'm naive, but I still think people can be changed.