I think discrimination against minories occurs a helluva lot more often than discriminmation against whites. Far, far more. That means whites have an advantage.
I think whites have the advantage - obviously - we are the "majority." However, I don't know if I would make a bold statement like "discrimination against minorities occurs more often." I do think whites are discriminated against but I believe most of the time we just overlook it and don't call it discrimination.

From all appearances, and I don't have any studies or any links to back me up on this, Asian and Indian immigrants seem to have an impeccable work ethic and seem to do very well for themselves.
I can speak for my Japanese husband and agree with you on that comment.

My dad was raised by a Japanese stepfather who instilled some incredible work ethics in him.

Just an FYI, the gallup poll is a poll of public opinion. This is not usually considered a factual source. If you were to find certain census data or quantitative research done on the topic, that would probably be more easy to defend.
another example of me needing to do my research before posting over here. Thank you for pointing out that I should stay over in RR where I belong. Next time, just put it that way, please.

I apologize if you were offended by my efforts to educate. I never implied nor intended to say that you should stay over in RR. That being said, please don't make me out to be the bad guy for trying to clarify about something that I happen to know about.

No, I actually knew it too, just was having a mental block. Trying to do two things at one time.

My bad then. I just assumed since you referred to it a couple of times that you might not have known what it really was.

Either you are against discrimination or you are not. Anytime you excuse that sort of behavior is hypocritical in my book.
ok...but many fail to admit in all the claims of 'reverse discrimination' is that maybe the white guy/gal wasn't the most qualified..... there are many, many ways to judge qualifications...what looks good on paper, may bomb other parts of the selection process. What many don't realize that in a good selection process all components are weighted and scored. many organizations are looking for diversity...and that is just one attribute that may weigh in. I do know that at most companies hiring managers rarely have selection decisions dictated to them by HR...you may be asked to interview certain candidates and you better be ready to defend your decision no matter who you chose...but if you as a manager are worth your salt, you will get the candidate that you deem to be most qualified....but you better be ready to defend those qualifications and how they stack up against other candidates...that is why it is best to have a predefined selection plan in place when hiring... --- megawill

ok...here is some information that I'd like to see the 'there are other reasons besides sex that women aren't paid the same as males' crowd refute...

Weekly Wage Comparisons by Sex for Common Occupations

---
megawill

Here is another one that compares entry level wages of college grads:

anyone care to explain the disparity???

---
megawill

Here is another one that compares entry level wages of college grads: (IMAGE) anyone care to explain the disparity??? --- megawill
I don't have to see this to believe this at all. It's a good graphic representation though, that's for sure. What confuses me is the median salary both men and women make in education that differs (I was looking at one of your last posts mega)?? I believe most school districts start their teachers with the same pay whether you're a male or female. I've never seen discrimination where I've worked. You earn more through extra schooling, time in the classroom and experience. Can anyone explain this???

Where were you in the men vs women's wages thread megawill? :wink: If the mod want to move this there I understand but its all really part of one bigger topic anyway.... I could guess that people who don't want to believe that there actually is a gender discrimination problem would argue that more men go into college programs that lead to higher paying jobs and/or when they graduate they choose career paths that lead to higher paying jobs. There is probably some truth to that reasonaing, but for me the more interesting question is - Why do more men choose these career paths than women? I think the whole pregnancy issue is a bit of a dead horse so I'd be interested in hearing people explore other ideas. Second, why are so many fields that have been traditionally dominated by women (nursing, teaching, social work spring to mind), also traditionally underpaid and undervalued?

Nursing and teaching are very well paid jobs. They just do not make huge jumps like in corporate america. If a woman becomes a nurse she can actually flex her schedule when she has children should she decide to stay home more. My wife has worked in the management level of nursing for years and actually makes less than some staff nurses due to overtime and the like.

Some Male nurses may make more at CHOP with females hired at the same but it is not because of seniority it is because of different schedules, (weekends, nights) and sheer hours worked per week. Lots of women love the flexibility of nursing.

It is a field that your starting salary is high but really never rockets up as if you were going into a corporate track job.

I can't blame women for wanting that kind of flexibility. But if more women chose that and still can afford to have it all so to speak, than good for them.

The statistics need to be more spelled out for me as far as specific industries, with exact same type jobs and the like. I am highly suspect until then.

Look at the first link...in virtually every field/occupation reported, female salaries trail. I can't possibly think of an occupation like 'bus driver' and think that it has anything to do with education, skill, shift, etc.... --- megawill

but bus driver is a union job. In that type of environment it is an apples and orange arguement. Of course the woman with 5 years experience will make less money than the guy with 15 year. That is all I am saying. Let's compare similar management positions in similar companies.