I agree. Quotas and such are not the answer. Once people come to an "aha" moment and realize there are discrepencies, I think we will move closer to equality.

dis crim i nate ( P ) Pronunciation Key (d-skrm-nt) v. dis crim i nat ed, dis crim i nat ing, dis crim i nates v. intr. To make a clear distinction; distinguish: discriminate among the options available. To make sensible decisions; judge wisely. To make distinctions on the basis of class or category without regard to individual merit; show preference or prejudice: was accused of discriminating against women; discriminated in favor of his cronies. I'm a strong believer in changing people first - people will still discriminate if its in their hearts or minds to do so, no matter how many laws we have in place designed to prevent discrimination. People discriminate every day. What clothes to wear that morning. Who to hire. How to work with on a group project. Who to sit next to on the train into work. What route to drive into the office. What to have for lunch. What wine to drink with dinner. What show to watch on TV. What I'm going to do on my next run or workout. What web site to visit on the Net. What book to read before bed time. Should I spend more time at the office reading _[removed]_ or actually doing work. Many of you in this discussion are trying to equate sex as the one single thing that is influencing supposed pay disparities. When in fact it is numerous things, many of which one cannot quantify. I still say the family/children issue (and how that relates to potential/real workplace advancement) is a far bigger issue then some of you care to admit.

People discriminate every day. What clothes to wear that morning. Who to hire. How to work with on a group project. Who to sit next to on the train into work. What route to drive into the office. What to have for lunch. What wine to drink with dinner. What show to watch on TV. What I'm going to do on my next run or workout. What web site to visit on the Net. What book to read before bed time. Should I spend more time at the office reading RF.com or actually doing work. Many of you in this discussion are trying to equate sex as the one single thing that is influencing supposed pay disparities. When in fact it is numerous things, many of which one cannot quantify. I still say the family/children issue (and how that relates to potential/real workplace advancement) is a far bigger issue then some of you care to admit. Show me the data!

here is what i think:

when u have job/college/promotion concerns blank out all the names, addresses, race, sex ANYTHING that would indicate minority status (even age). simply go by the most qualified, most experienced, most motivated (less days missed, less amount of discipline, most amount of achievement at current job) and then pick ur candidate off of these things.....

i know why i dont think these things will EVER be done.....things would be more fair across the board (in my opinion) and then people could not claim prejudicial treatment as easily....

Kel

and how do you propose to conduct interviews?

why cant they be done just like instant messenger; back and forth.

how much should PERSONALITY play (unless in sales or something related) in the hiring process? or looks? or a lack thereof?

let's just go on quals, exp, all that other stuff that IS importnat.

why not have a computer that simulates 1 voice for everyone and they can speak thru that, EVERYONE sounds the same.

Kel

I can't tell if you're being serious or not, but you can't possibly be in the workforce if you think personality has nothing to do with how someone would fit in a job, or on a team.

But, I thought we couldn't use personality (or other non-quantifiable traits) to determine salary/workplace advancement?

Huh!?
Where did anyone say that?
This discussion was about the fact that men make more than women solely based on gender.

Nowhere did I say that.
In fact, I made a point earlier in this thread about how are you supposed to make a choice between similarly qualified candidates. There are certainly factors that enter into a hiring decision above and beyond strictly qualifications...

"In fact, I made a point earlier in this thread about how are you supposed to make a choice between similarly qualified candidates. There are certainly factors that enter into a hiring decision above and beyond strictly qualifications..."

yeah like maybe: color of skin, attractive/not attractive (man or woman), good jokester, physical attributes, charming, etc etc (see where i am going?)

using personality (or ANY other subjective attribute) as a reason to hire/not hire someone is PURELY subjective (and can be prejudicially motivated). that person might get along with the team fine, BUT, s/he rubs someone on the review board/or the reviewer) the wrong way and they dont get the job!

of course in a perfect world, we all do whats best for the company and are all fair etc etc BUT over here in the REAL world we all know that doesnt happen.

i submit certain admin types like to use non-quantifiable elements so they can retain CONTROL of who is hired, REGARDLESS if the candidate better qualified/more capable or not.....keeps THEIR click in power and control; good ol boy/girl system at its finest.

Kel

We've already discussed the fact that by-and-large these are closely qualified candidates, and that the hiring process isn't left entirely to these subjective measures...
yes, I see where you are going...and you are reaching A LOT to make your point.

i submit u are an admin type and are defending the old archaic way of doing business. i have a BA in business and am well on my way to finishing my mba (and this type of thing has been discussed).
Kel

i submit u are an admin type and are defending the old archaic way of doing business. i have a BA in business and am well on my way to finishing my mba (and this type of thing has been discussed). Kel
I submit that if your MBA program suggests conducting interviews via voice recognition software while blindfolded then you might want to look into another program.

touche and fair enough, we disagree.

lol
Kel