maybe someone like Paris hilton has an advantage, but in general, i don't think white people are all that advantaged. Not in this day and time.
I guess you have to have different experiences, because as a white person I am well aware of the advantages that I have due to the color of my skin. Do I agree with it? No. Absolutely not. But I could never, ever say that it doesn't exist. I've seen this where I grew up because I grew up in a very diverse community. I've seen this when talking with my friends who are of all different colors, nationalities and religions. I see it every day in the news that I read. And yes, I try and make stride to change it every day in the way in which I live my life.

My parents did that. Here in America. Just so we could have an education. They never once expected a handout, nor did we ever get one. My mother, with three kids, learned English here and finished her high school here and went to college. They showed up in this country with a $300. Left EVERYTHING behind. We did it without affirmative action and handouts. It can be done.
This is exactly what makes this country great. The opportunity is there for those who want it bad enough.

I disagree with the idea that anyone who wants it can do it. But I'm curious to hear what you who do support that idea think is the solution. That is, if the taxpayers are going to wind up paying for people who "just don't want it badly enough," how do you suggest we ensure that everyone want it badly enough?

I think we're getting off topic - we're straying from the reverse descrimination thing. But, to answer your question, I don't think you can make people want to work. Education is the number one method of providing people with a ticket out of the poor house. I'm not talking about college degrees here either. I'm talking about high schools that are graduating students w/o basic math and reading skills. Students that can't figure out how to assemble a box on their own. That is a completely new topic though in my book.

Do you believe racism and discrimination against minories occur?

It works all ways. No one group is a "non offender". Discrimination occurs against everyone to some more than others. But minorites do not get a pass.

You can never make someone want it badly enough. It's sad, but you just cannot make someone have the drive...

sure I do, I'm not stupid, I don't think that Affirmative Action is the solution, though. I think jailtime is. I really don't think that not getting a job because you are not as qualified is the same thing as discrimination. it might be a shame, but it is not discrimination. i really don't have the solution, but I know the solution is not to take away from hardworking people, either.

jailtime for whom? :umno: FWIW, I think a vast majority of employers are not picking between a vastly better qualified white candidate over some under-qualified minority candidate...they're choosing between fairly equal applicants...

One other factor I'd like to point out is that in higher education, when dealing with state schools (and yes this varies from state to state) having a diverse class is considered by many to be a very important factor for their programs. Thus why minority status is considered as part of the admissions process.

Excellent point HH.

That's true, but unless one is going to make the arguement that discrimination against whites occurs at the same rate as that against minorities (which I think would be a hard arguement to make given whites hold the majority of all positions of power in this country), I don't see how they can say whites don't have advantages. Simply not having to face and deal with racism and/or discriminiation on a daily basis is an avantage.

jailtime for the racist people who do the stuff like burn crosses and stuff like that... you know what I mean? harassment and stuff like that. jailtime for proven cases of racism. From things that I've heard, and I'm sure this is not the case all the time, but it happens a lot.... companies and schools do have to pass over more qualified people to fill a quota.... often.

explain why some groups excel more than others then. Asians and Indian (South Central Asian) do exceedingly well. Some of the "discrimination" that may be labeled as such may have a lot more to do with the groups themselves and their values and mores' rather than external factors such as discrimination. I am not arguing with you Amy without a doubt it occurs, but some people (not you) think that it happens all of the time. Others in this thread also agree that a lot of qualified people are getting passed over, that is sad too. Just we have to watch how we define fairness.

1. This isn't about cross burning, it's about job hiring. Do you feel that an individual in a corporate arena should be jailed? 2. do you have a source that says how often "more qualified" people are passed over, "often"? I'm not saying it never happens, but that's a pretty bold claim without any supporting research to back it up.