I picked up on that also and am curious also. I have a hard time believing that only male teachers are going back for more schooling.
I also find it quite interesting that postal clerks and police officers are pretty close in pay considering that part of the duties might require physical capabilities that I would think our society would normally think lacking in many women.

I seriously don't believe that school districts discriminate like that. However, I have not walked around comparing my check stubs with anyone either. Could it be true? If so...I'd be very PO'd. To think it's even happening in "my world" of c**p pay (please don't argue this point anyone. I will never get huge raises in what I do...even with a Master's). We all get the same pay scale ladder each year, breaking down the salaries. So, I don't believe that Chris next door made more than I the day he walked in to work.

That's one reason that the military is such a good place for women to get their start.

Their beginning pay, male or female is equal. The more schooling/years you have--you get more pay.

It's all based on years in and how much you put into it.

Of course, some career fields get paid a lot more than others, but in the AF women are allowed in almost all the career fields, if not all.

I agree. Isn't that because of unionization?
I think that this issue is more apparent in areas where unionization is not present.

Where did the difference in years experience enter into this? Check out the link again; it refers to median pay for all employees in specific fields; nopt between specific employees - especially those with great differences in experience.

years of experience has a lot to do with salary. Senior people make more money.
It is a more acurate comparison if you compare equal years of service of the sexes.
Since more men are going to have longer time in service (uninterupted) of course their median salary numbers will be higher.
I just think that is more fair to compare than the median salaries because it is more accurate.

The wage gap, give me a break By John Stossel June 22, 2005 Feminists keep demanding new laws to protect women from the so-called wage gap. Many studies have found that women make about 75 cents for every dollar a man earns. Activists say the pay difference is all about sexism. "No matter how hard women work, or whatever they achieve in terms of advancement in their own professions and degrees, they will not be compensated equitably!" shouted Rep. Rosa DeLauro, D-Conn., at a "wage equity" rally in Washington, D.C. But how could this be possible? Suppose you're an employer doing the hiring. If a woman does equal work for 25 percent less money, businesses would get rich just by hiring women. Why would any employer ever hire a man? Martha Burk, chair of the National Council of Women's Organizations, gave me this simple answer: "Because they like to hire men, John. They like to hire people like themselves and they darn sure like to promote people like themselves." In other words, men so love their fellow men that they are willing to pay a premium of, say, $10,000 on what would otherwise be a $30,000-a-year job, just for the sheer pleasure of employing a man. Nonsense. It's market competition that sets wages. Men do care about money -- and that, not wage discrimination, is why men tend to make more of it. "Women themselves say they're far more likely to care about flexibility," says author Warren .. "Men say, I'm far more likely to care about money." . spent about 15 years going over U.S. Census statistics and research studies. His research found that the wage gap exists not because of sexism, but because more men are willing to do certain kinds of jobs. "The average full-time working male works more than a full-time working female," . said. . illustrates his findings at lectures by asking men and women to stand in answer to a series of questions about job choices, such as whether they work more than 40 hours a week, outdoors or in a dangerous job. Again and again, more men stand. Job choices explain the pay difference, . argues in his recent book, "Why Men Earn More: The Startling Truth Behind the Pay Gap." They also explain, . said, why more top corporate executives are men. "We have been suckered into believing that because there are more men at the top than women at the top, that this is a result of discrimination against women. That's been the misconception. It's all about trade-offs. You earn more money, you usually sacrifice something at home," . said. Suppose two people have equal potential, but one takes on more demanding, consuming, lucrative jobs while the other places a higher priority on family. The one who makes work the focus will be more productive for an employer than the one who puts his or her home life first. The latter will get more of the pleasures of family. So he (and it tends to be "he") will make more money, even though she would be equally productive and equally rewarded if she made the same choices. "Women and men look at their life," said ., "and women say, 'What do I need? Do I need more money, or do I need more time?' And women are intelligent enough to say, I need more time. And so women lead balanced lives. Men should be learning from women." One irony is that some people, especially young women, may make the choices that lead to the pay gap precisely because they have been taught the job market shortchanges women. Women who see the market as hostile may put their hearts into their homes instead of their careers -- thus making less money. But the market isn't hostile. The market is just. It rewards you for the work you do, not for the work you choose not to do. If men want the family time many women have, we must accept lower financial rewards -- and if women want the money, they have to work like money-grubbing men. It's our choice.

I just don't understand the interrupted service. Are we talking maternity leave??? Certainly some jobs women leave and go back into the same profession ie nursing, teaching.....but there are ALOT of positions out there that aren't seniority based or paid by experience, but by performance and women are "still" paid less. I hope you aren't including women like me that leave the work force all together, because that's what I did.....I freaking don't think that my decision should affect women that take a few days or weeks off to push out a baby, they didn't leave their profession to raise their child. You can't convince me that 2 weeks off of work for childbirth should set a woman behind in pay. (and you know as well as I, that before family leave act, a woman better have had their butt back on the job after 2 weeks or worry about losing her job. My sister faced this after a c-section birth. Yet her boss was out 6 weeks for hernia surgery).
And what of the ladies that don't have children? If you think it's alright for women to be paid less due to maternity leave, how would you account for their lower wages? Maybe a new study divided: men/childless women/moms. I'd still be willing to bet all my assets on the men making more.

By interruppted service I meant time off for children (years for instance).

What about the chart mega posted on page 9? Wages right out of college are less for women. How do you explain that?

it sweeps a prettty big brush there. It does not include in that chart which fields just all.

I can't explain it any more than you or anyone here can.

if more men go into fields where the starting salary is higher where it is more male dominated (i.e. engineering, law enforcement, etc) of course the hourly wage will be higher.

the only field I know of where women start out higher than men is nursing.

Show me more specific data.

Also there are more women graduating from college than men which mens their divisor is higher.

It does not say median wage it says average. Big difference. I want it broken down by industry i.e. sales, management, medical, etc.

too broad a survey.

Show me more specific data.
There has been a lot of data showing there is a gender gap in pay. Maybe you can post the data to support your view that there isn't.

fine. statistics are one thing but I have a hard time believing that if a man and a woman are up for a job that the woman will simply be paid less.

If that were the case then more women would be hired because they are cheaper to employ thus lower costs.

We can look at statistics all we want, I just don't think the problem is as bad as people make it out to be.

Maybe for some people salary is not everything. Maybe they like the job and don't care about money or advancement but have a nice work schedule or are just content. Nothing wrong with that.

It could be the different for other reasons. RT is a wealthy community that has among the highest salaries for police in the area. Yet 10 miles to our south is Chester City, a city with the same population, 3 times the police officers 10 times the crime and they make only 75 % of our salary. Is that fair no, but it is the way it is.

Same goes for geographics. The cost of living in DC or NYC is higher than in rural America. I am just trying to say that there are valid reasons.

Statisitcs are the quantitative way of explaining such things. I don't know how you can dismiss concrete evidence. I am sure I could find you some stats regarding geographic differences etc.
If you choose not to believe that this disparity exists, so be it. The facts ARE there that support the claim.
Also...one more note...you asked for stats, I gave you stats....now you dispute stats....I don't get it.

I see and understand the stats but I guess I am just a dumb cop or something, it just does not seem to be that big of a problem. I am trying to make intelligent statements regarding what I believe is skewed data. I have to just agree to disagree with everyone. I just seem to be trying to give alternative theories. Oh well. This is going no where. You guys are all right and I am just going to keep being to racist or prejudiced to believe anything. It just seems to be another case of white man bashing that continues to plague this country. I am just sick of trying to defend this. Do people think that us white dudes have a secret society to keep people oppressed. No we don't. I am sorry to everyone for being born white and a man. It just sucks sometimes that everything I do is questioned. I can't do anything right anymore. Just remember, women are in lots of positions of power. They hire, fire and start companies. They can change all this from the top down and bottom up. If the women in power are changing and letting the status quo be that then shame on them. People can speak out or remain silent.