1. If they purposely pass someone up just becuase of their color, with no other reason, for someone not as qualified, then, yes. that is against the law, so they should be jailed.
2. Of course I do not ... I think we all agree that Public Universities and companies have quotas... I don't think it's that bold of a statement considering how often you hear about it happening on the news, especially with colleges....

I am not arguing with you Amy without a doubt it occurs, but some people (not you) think that it happens all of the time. Others in this thread also agree that a lot of qualified people are getting passed over, that is sad too. Just we have to watch how we define fairness.

I think discrimination against minories occurs a helluva lot more often than discriminmation against whites. Far, far more. That means whites have an advantage.

explain why some groups excel more than others then. Asians and Indian (South Central Asian) do exceedingly well. Some of the "discrimination" that may be labeled as such may have a lot more to do with the groups themselves and their values and mores' rather than external factors such as discrimination.

Huh?

That doesn't mean they are passing over someone "more" qualified. It just means, all things being equal, diversity takes precedence.

Or it means that the more qualified person does not get the job.... if the reason is for a quota... then that is just a shame. The company or school did not get to make their own choice and had their freedom yanked. Talk about suckiness. (Is that a word?)

I think you're stretching things a bit here but that's just my opinion.

Hypothetically speaking:
Would you accept a position just because it would make the company, organization, or institution diverse

Huh?
From all appearances, and I don't have any studies or any links to back me up on this, Asian and Indian immigrants seem to have an impeccable work ethic and seem to do very well for themselves.

Can you clarify what you mean here. Are you saying you think certain groups are more prone to either success or failure based on their race?

I think diversity in the workforce is extremely important. Certainly in my field it is. If I was passed over for a job by someone who migh have less experisnece, but would bring difference expertise (better understanding of clients of different cultures, spoke another language), I could live with it. I might be disappointed on a personal level, but I would recognize why that would be wise from an employers perspective.
How oeften is on paper qualfications looked at without considering what other skills/qualities the potential hire would bring and how well that would round out the department as a whole? In my field that is common (and smart) practice.

1. If they purposely pass someone up just becuase of their color, with no other reason, for someone not as qualified, then, yes. that is against the law, so they should be jailed. You've taken umbrage with the scenario of a white candidate having a similar pedigree and qualifications as a minority candidate, if the minority is picked. but if a minority candidate has a similar pedigree and qualifications as a white candidate, but the white candidate is picked it's just business? :? How do you decide between two equal people then? Race is never the sole reason a person is hired. 2. Of course I do not ... I think we all agree that Public Universities and companies have quotas... I don't think it's that bold of a statement considering how often you hear about it happening on the news, especially with colleges.... [off-topic as a demonstrative example only] We see murders on TV nearly every night too. Do most people get killed? News is sensational. That's what gets ratings. And no, it's not any different an example. [/off-topic] There are tens of thousands of people hired every month, and because you hear a couple examples on the news that means that it happens often? I don't think so...

I'd be pissed if I were more qualified, with more experience and got passed over so it looked better on paper... yep, pissed. however, I'm not lawsuit happy, so.... well, I'll not open that can o' worms.

I'm not talking about what looks best on paper, jen. I'm talking about what is best for the department as a whole. The person with the most experience isn't always it.

In that case, then hire the person you think is the best person and the best fit for the job.
I'll try to remember to do my research before posting over here. I better break out the encyclopedias :) Silly me for being a conservative.
I better study up on my gallop polls and independent studies before I post what everyone knows goes on.
I know of one college I got turned away from that had I been black I would have gotten in.... I really didn't want to share that.... but barring a gallop poll result.... not easily at my fingertips, I guess I needed to. i got waitlisted. when we called to discuss with the Dean of Admissions we were told that they had to wait until closer to the start of the term and that had I been a minority it would not have been an issue... Oh well, I guess I'm not as privledged as I thought.

i guess that depends on the company and the department.

CB, she said "more qualified and more experienced". As a prospective employer wouldn't it make more sense to hire more qualified and more experienced to fill a position?