I think that we're a sue-happy society. It's a shame. I don't think that everything can be equal for every individual - black, white, hispanic, old, young, girl, boy... As I tell my kids, stuff doesn't have to be equal. But, if you know the rules and someone doesn't follow them, that's a problem. If the school who denied admission to a program in Diva's post didn't follow their own criteria (rules), it's a problem. Is it worth a $5 million lawsuit? Not in my opinion but it's not me.

I think you're right. Life isn't fair, nor will it always be equal. Is it worth $5mil??? Not to me, either.

"life is not fair"

:x I've hated those words from my childhood, seriously. I'm determined "not" to utter them to my kids. It's hard sometimes :(

Thanks. Those were the latest of the "Reverse" Cases. though I seem to remember an earlier one about a medical school.
Its really hard to try to be "fair" and yet not show favoritism. I think a better question is: Is it time to end "favorable" policies ? Aren't there "enough" minorities in the mainstream to not warrant the end of these policies ?

As a female and a hispanic, I abhor quotas and any type of favoritism. Let me succeed knowing I did it on my own.
But, that's off topic.

If people want to split hairs about it, you can find something (besides fingerprints, DNA, etc.) to make each of us a minority of one. Some just haven't stumbled upon theirs yet.

Just like there are a lot of factors that determine salaries (men vs. women) in the workplace, right?

I don't think discrimination is ever irrelevant.
i also don't think that life is fair or that wwe should just run off and sue people, but i think that it works both ways....

absolutely agree with that. People jump up and down when some groups are not treated fairly, yet when the tables are turned it is almost like people are like discrimination does not exist. I get tired of this "Get whitey/men" mentality all of the time.
hire/promote/advance on merit and qualifications not class. It even says it in the Declaration of Independence for goodness sake. All men are created equal. We have gone a long way from that statement, I think it needs to be looked at again.

Perhaps "irrelevant" is not the right word, I meant it's irrelevant in a majority context. Racism is prejudice plus power. I'm not saying a majority person can't be discriminated against, it's happened to me. But it's such an infrequent thing, relative to minorities, that it should be mostly shrugged off. The group that has the power is such an infrequent target that it's not that big a deal. Put another way, if you think rare slights to majority are a biggie, try living the life of minority. Have a cross burned on your lawn, get followed in a store, get hassled by the police for driving two miles over the speed limit. These are the types of injustices I don't ever have to deal with, so you'll excuse me for thinking that if one white person doesn't get into a school in order that several people who have been historically marginalized can, that's just the way of it.

I think the point is that white males complaining about discrimination in this society shows almost as much empathy as somebody with a cough-due-to-cold going into a critical cancer ward of a hospital and complaining about how sick they are.

Either you are against discrimination or you are not. Anytime you excuse that sort of behavior is hypocritical in my book.

That sort of polarity is itself troubling to me. The world is not, pardon the expression given this context, black and white.

Yes, especially when the government mandates quotas.

I guess I just respectfully disagree.
The person with the better grades and application should get into the school regardless of their race/gender/sexual/whatever history. That's just the way I see it.
I'm and individual and want to be judged as one. I also do my best to try to judge other people as individuals. Opressions upon groups of people that have happened in the past are a shame, but it is hardly my fault. i do my best to make a good life for myself and my children and would just like to be rewarded for my own work. No more, no less.