My doctor said it could be Shingles, Fibromayalgia or a bone spur.  It's hard to tell what for sure without testing.

my dermatologist told me that my itch between my shoulder blades was caused by a pinched nerve in my neck.

I have it to for several months. It's like a prickling sensation under the skin and I scratched until it has broken out a bit. Also moved up the back of my neck.. One Dr. says dry skin , which it isn't another said they is a type of shingles that can occur under the skin. I just would like to know what is causing. Hydrocortisone did absolutely nothing. I remember that my mother had an itchy spot on the right side where she wore holes in her house dresses. After she had her gall bladder and stones removed I think it stopped.

I have exactly the same thing, right underneath my right shoulder blade for over a month now.  No rash, no dry skin. Burt's Bees hard-core moisturizing lotion doesn't seem to do the trick. Whaaaaat is this.  

I have been having the same problem too, and like the rest of you, it's my left shoulder blade area, comes and goes and is very annoying.  I am a surviving cancer patient, and have neuropathy, a side effect from the chemo.  I'm wondering if it is related to that?  As one post read, that the doctor may prescribe anti convulsive meds, one called Gabapentin.  I have been taking that since the neuropathy started, and I can say it doesn't help my itching and I take 4- 800mgs a day!!

I have the exact same itching problem on my back at my left shoulder blade, going almost halfway down my back.  The itch is at the exact same spot almost all of the time.  No apparent rash, bites or blemish.  I use a back scratcher constantly and have my back sore from scratching so much.  I've tried gold bond co-Q10 lotion a several times with no relief.  I am diabetic (type 2 - insulin dependent).  I'd like an explanation for this phenomenon too, if anyone has a clue...

your not crazy , thats the same as me. feeling like something crawling under my skin till i have to itch, but the itch down go . i get a aching after. numbness to the surface of the skin and now a small dark patch. starting to make me feel ill with worry and unable to sleep. i also have back problems in the middle of my spine and sciatica

wow I was looking to see if anyone else was suffering this....going to doctors on friday. I have severe itching that comes and goes every few hours in same spot on my left shoulder blade, husband looked at it and says small white bumps, he thought from sweating, as we have huge duck feather blanket on our bed. Ive had this itching for 6 weeks now, but seemed to happen at same time our kid bounced on her bed and slammed onto my right elbow, causing a sprain, may be a nerve issue....driving me crazy tho!

I have had an itch  for years below my right shoulder. Went to the skin clinic and doctors thinking it must be cancer cells. They said if it was cancer it would show up to the surface of the skin. Not convinced i used cansema ointment from alpha omega labs which kills fast dividing cells such as cancer cells within 24 hours. i applied it on 2 areas, the itchy shoulder and an area on my left  side that had no itchy sensation. Within 24 hours i had 2 holes in my shoulder where it was itchy and in 5 days a mass of dead cell tissue came out. Nothing happened in the other area. Other family has used this since with great results. You can read thge 

***Post is edited by moderator *** Web addresses not allowed***Please read our Terms of Use

I have an itch on my shoulder..that comes and goes and i noticed its usually more itchy when i have a cold related sickess..It is so weird..no rash, no redness, no dry patchy skin..its just itchy in the exact same place!

I am women and I have same thing on my left shoulder for years. I went to doctor that was stupid doctor who told me not do do showers any more. I refused and left. After I lost my job and have no insurance and I dont go to doctors until I get new job.  But I am wondering you guys who have a same problem why you dont go to doctor and tell us the way how to cure it, what doctor says. For many years it comes and go, then becomes persistant and worst last several years and then I went to that crazy doctor, and then I lost job and now have no insurance to go to other doctor.

My left shoulder blade has the same problem as others described, only on one spot. It is to annoying that I was thinking if I had some very extremely sharp object-knife and if is not on the back but somewhere more accessible  that I wished to cut that part out.  I have feeling something is going on there or somethimes that crawling or working something inside or like something is working under my skin, ot that part of my skin is live it self separately from me, like all kind of activities are happening there, whole world. buildings etc - in a funny way.v But skin looks clean the only thing I made scab on ithcing part, always same place small part. It is very annoying and scarry. Please HELP, if you have the answer. I thought possible has to do with sugar, or I just dont know. How come that doctors dont know?

I have had the same problem for two years. I have found that eucalyptus oil really helps with the itch. I wen to two dermatologists and they offered no solution.

I am just lost as I have the same problem; the skin itch running from the back scapula to the left tip of the left breast, and always under the skin surface. I have visited several Doctors, and the recent advice is for me to abstain from eggs, sugar, and fish, with little relief though. I shall appreciate most to hear of the actual cause and cure. Many thanks, ainea

I am a healthy 29 year old woman. My skin is far from dry, and I suffer the same exact problem. It's my left shoulder blade. If I reach my hand over my shoulder to scratch I can't reach it nor if I try to from the side. That is what makes it annoying. Its been a couple months now, it comes and goes. Figured I was just growing wings...

I have been dealing with the itching between the shoulder blades (mostly on the left side) for more than 7 years. Originally I thought it was from an allergy to latex or nylon in my sports bras.  Then, I thought it was from a mole.  It started during a vacation following recovery from a very stressful surgery and illness. It literally started as a tight, tingling between my shoulder blade, and by the end of the day it was itching.  I have had it on and off since.

I was diagnosed with this condition by an amazing dermatologist.  She said it is due to nerve pinching in the muscular area between the shoulder blades. Your anatomy, posture, chronic back pain, exercise, and STRESS can all aggravate the condition. I will say, that when I am stressed or just super busy, it is worse. Nothing helps except stretching, massage and Ibuprofen (because the itching is really "pain" in the muscle).

Also-- avoid super hot showers on your back-- it will make it worse.  A paraben free lotion or argan oil also seems to help, but I think that is due to the massaging motion when it is rubbed in.

Decrease your stress and try not to scratch!