Hey. I want to discuss with you about one topic :) I want to hear your experience how to treat dog’s loose stool. I know that diarrhea is very common problem for dogs.

My Boo had it like a hundred times. I know that many of diarrhea cases are not so dangerous and that we all can heal them at home, with proper home care.

But when we see that our dog is having problems with loose stool, we need to react.

As soon as possible.

I know that a lot of people are avoiding to visit the vet in the first two or three days. I do this also.

So, I really want to hear your experiences.

What is the best treatment for dog’s loose stool?

Keep in touch :)

Hi. I think that the best treatment includes rice and water. It worked for me when my dog was having loose stool. I hope that your dog is feeling ok and that you’re asking about this just out of curiosity. Loose stool shouldn’t last for more than a day, you know. When it endures, you should be concerned. I’m always giving my dog rice put in some hot water so it would be more liquid. But my dog has diarrhea only because of bad food that he sometimes eats (like from the trash) so it’s easy to treat that. Rice and water two times a day and he is as good as new.

Hello. I have to agree with rubylock. Rice and water are the best cure for your dog. First, within 24 hours you need to stop feeding your dog. 12 hours for young puppies. This is the best way to give your dog’s digestive system a rest. After this process, feed him with bland diet of 50 % of boiled rice and 50 % of chicken for next three days. If diarrhea doesn’t\t resolve in three days, seek advice from your vet. If I can recommend you, do not use any meds in this case. They can have side – effects and trust me you can resolve this problem with foods.

Hey everyone.

Dog’s diarrhea usually starts with diet program. That is why you need to find a way to change it. Maybe diet program is the cause of diarrhea. I agree that you should feed your dog with bland diet program that contains cooked rice, chicken or cottage cheese.

But you need to know that you need to avoid food that contains lactose, bran, sugar, etc.

Monitor your pet and his stool. If is necessary you need to take a sample and take it to your vet, just to inspect it.

Stomach can be very irritating in this case so you need to avoid water.

Avoid medications.

Good luck.

Hi there everyone,

It’s good that you don’t take your dog to the vet in the first two days, that would be overreacting in my opinion. I treat my dog’s diarrhea without treating it, actually. I just give his stomach 24 hours to rest and fix whatever is wrong on itself.

I’m not starving my dog, this is just how it works best for him, I think. I do provide him with enough of fresh water to drink in the meantime, you don’t want him to dehydrate. Although rice and water seem like a good advice, I’d pick this solution rather than that one. There are some diets that should help with dog’s loose stool too, but I don’t think that’s so smart.

Come on guys!
Don’t panic, ok?
It is nothing serious. It is just a diarrhea.
Did you ever had a diarrhea?
Yes, you did probably. And did you went to see your doctor immediately?
I don’t think so.
This is something that is very common in dogs and it can be cured really easy – with food and good diet program.
You should feed your dog with rice and just with rice. No meat in my opinion.
Dry food from trusted manufacturers and good brands is helpful a lot.
Don’t run away from dry food.
It can be a cure!
Good luck!

Hello. I don’t agree with you Keane. I am not saying that everyone should panic when they notice that dog has some problems with stool, but you should not be chilled like you suggested. At all. Look, dog’s loose stool can be a really big problem and issue. It can be an indicator of some other disease. I understand why DS1991 is upset. I repeat once again – if you can’t deal with diet program (we were talking about the best diet program) you should consult your vet. He will prescribe some good therapy for this. Ask him to do some analysis as well.

Hey everyone,

Dog Whisperer, I believe that you shouldn’t really panic about anything in life at all. You need to keep your cool. But it’s true too that you shouldn’t be “chill” about this. If the loose stool is enduring, it can be something pretty bad and you do want to be prepared for this. In case it is something bad, you need to consult your vet because it won’t be only loose stool that you are treating there.

In case it’s just diarrhea, no food for 24 hours for your dog and he should be okay. Rice and hot water combined is a good advice too, it helps your dog’s stomach to get better faster.

Hey everyone,
A lot of talk for a thing as casual as a loose stool in dogs. It happens so often that everyone knows what to do already. And there are only few different ways in order to treat it.

First, do nothing. Stop feeding your dog for a day and he’ll be fine. Second thing, feed him only with rice combined with warm water. And the third thing is a change in his diet which sometimes works, and sometimes doesn’t.

People function similar to dogs, so just think about what do you do when you have loose stool. Although in dogs’ case it can be nasty, they might have some really evil disease.