hi, I have battled acne on and off, usually not to severe but always present. Ive been using proactive for a month or so now, never really saw an improvement, but the last few days I had one major pimple on my cheek, and now the swelling is so bad that it feels and looks like I got punched in the side of the face, the swelling makes my face look completely lopsided and its very embaressing. its the type of swelling that you get when you break a knee or a bone or something, not when you get a pimple. Its probably 2 and half inches in diameter. Could this be something more serious then just a pimple? I mean the pimple isnt anywhere near the size of the swelling.

It probably got veeery inflamed. I would apply some kind of corticosteroid cream during the night to reduce the inflammation and pain and possibly bring out the puss to the surface. During the day, you could be putting antibiotic powder or ointment on the pimple during the day. This is what I usually do when I get the big ones.
If nothing changes in two weeks or if you can’t take it anymore, then you should see a dermatologist.

I have exactly the same problem as specialtard and corby. If anyone who has had this problem could tell me what i can do doto get rid of it i would appreciate it im also worried that it could be something serious :?

Hey!! I have the same problem...i got a pimple near my eye and my nose, i tried to pop it and it just got bigger and hard!! soo.... i started doing a research and i found out that if you put like a warm towel on the pimple, the swollen would go away and bring the pimple to a head. Do this like 4 times daily for 10 - 15 minutes. hope I could help, and get better :-) :-D

I have the same problem. I've been using Proactive starting this year. The acne is the worst one I've had in my entire life. It's right next to my nose and it causes my face to swell up under the eye. The doctor prescribed me antibiotics. I've been taking for a couple of weeks now and it's still there. Pretty stubborn bastard. Problem is i haven't been very consistent in taking the drug. The swelling is always the worst in the morning and subsides during the day. I've stopped using the proactive since I suspect it may have something to do with it.

I had the same problem during the summer, it was on my chin. it got so bad I went to urgent care and it turned out to be staff infection. if anyone has this problem go tot he doctors ASAP!
the doctor said if I wouldve waited any longer i might of needed surgry.

Pimple that after getting popped swells up? this has happened a few times to me because i have bad acne, usually goes away within a week, but onetime it was very bad. I had popped a blackhead on mu chin in the morning, and throughout the day, i could feel it getting more and more swollen. After i got back home, my speech was slightly slurred because the swelling had reached about 3-4 inches in diameter, and my chin was essentially frozen. What worked well was holding ice water in my mouth while holding a hot washcloth to the chin, that brought the swelling down fairly quickly. If this doesn't do anything after about an hour, it probably isn't normal swelling, and you might have a serious infection, but this has worked for me.

The washcloth alone is probably sufficient alone if its small (pea-sized up to an inch) but it'll go down faster albeit less comfortably with ice water in your mouth (or even faster and even less comfortably with an icecube in your mouth against the interior of the swelling.

I have had small ones that will go away on their own. The main problem i believe is popping them. You should either not touch the pimple at all, or pop and squeeze until absolutely everything is out and clean it off. Going halfway with get you A) a reoccuring, bigger pimple, B) the previously mentioned swelling, and/or C) possibly a bad infection. If you absolutely have to pop it, finish the job.

Most of the time you'll get swelling when the pimple isn't ready to pop. Most of the time that I get these types of pimples is when I try to pop a pimple and only the clear liquid comes out so I keep squeezing trying to get to the puss. Wait until a visible head has formed on the pimple and then pop it. You probably won't have to go to a doctor or the ER. Just put some ice on it for about an hour and it'll go down before you have to leave. It wont' go down all the way but it'll be less noticeable.

Try using Some Vicks vapor rub. Dont apply too much of it just enough to lightly layer over the pimple. Its not a face cream. Ive used it and it works for me.

I've had this problem several times before and woke up to a huge, over swelled pimple this morning. It sucks because just like someone mentioned before its not like an ordinary pimple (there is major swelling), which you can nurse with different acne vulgaris treatments. It normally takes around 3 weeks for it to go completely away. I've tried everything...toothpaste, regular overnight acne cream, Neosporin (antibiotic ointment), etc. I will try the ice trick.

So this just happend to me. What has happened is when u poped the zit it got infected of got a ingrown hair. The quickiest way is to go to the Dr. and get some antibiotics. If u wanna tough it out just put something hot put over it, but it will swell a lot and get red.

Hi I use Aknicare and it works really well for me. They have a skin roller which works really well at alleviating these stubborn spots when they appear, they've even stopped them coming for me in the past, when I have got to it quickly enough.

Wow! I know this was posted over a year ago but I was googling this because I have the exact same problem and infact look like a chip munk right now because my cheeks are so swollen!! Funny enough... I am using proactiv too. I have used it in the past on and off with no problems but it seems to have made my face worse this time round.. If it doesnt go down i'm going to go to a dermatologist!

Pimples problem is common problem today it’s not that much serious and can be cure easily. As you have a problem of occurring pimple regularly and you have tried all medical treatment but no result. You can try natural treatment for your face and it will really give relief to you. You can apply mixture of rose water and glycerin on your face.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed***

Please be consistent taking your antibiotics!!! This is how bacteria build up resistance to drugs and then strains develop that do not response to antibiotics. Take the drugs as your doctor prescribes and as long as you have pills left, even if your symptoms disappear before then.