I've recently been trying out mineral makeup, mainly because everyone seems to rave about how it's so much better for the skin. I had great expectations but unfortunately reality turned out to be different. My cheeks became really flushed, bright red really, over time, and I developed little bumps on my skin. I've never had this reaction from cheaper "normal makeup" so I'm really surprised and not really sure what is going on with my skin. 

Is it just me or does this happen to other people as well? Why is mineral makeup so bad for my skin? Help me solve the mystery please!

So, mineral makeup is giving you bright red skin and skin bumps? Are those bumps itchy at all? The first thought that pops into my head is that you must be allergic to some of the ingredients used in the mineral makeup you have applied to your skin. In general, even if you are allergic, you would have seemed fine after the first application and the symptoms would have increased gradually, over time, as you used the makeup more. 

One thing is for sure and that is that I would immediately stop using the offending mineral makeup products and switch back to whatever you were using before. 

I agree with that: you are likely dealing with an allergy. In particular, the ingredient of mineral makeup that seems to be most problematic for users is something called Mica. Perhaps it is the coating of this Mica that is the real allergen rather than the Mica itself, but that is what causes most mineral makeup users problems.

I would examine whether Mica is used in the mineral makeup you have at the moment and if so, you could consider trying a brand that doesn't have Mica. This will hopefully solve your skin redness and rash.

I've had similar allergic reactions to mineral makeup before :(. I then found out that though mineral makeup is known as the best, organic, all natural, etc, that isn't at all true in all cases! Did you know that mineral makeup can just have trace amounts of minerals and still be called mineral makeup? In reality, your mineral makeup can be full of all sorts of dubious artificial ingredients and there are no regulations that say that they have to not call it mineral makeup though of course the ingredients are listed.

I tried Bare Minerals with the hope that their mineral foundation would give me natural, beautiful and healthy coverage. Instead, I got a skin rash, itchy skin, and a foundation that actually made my pores look larger and my face more wrinkled. Of course, I had to go snoop around and discovered that I wasn't the only one having an allergic reaction to Bare Minerals makeup, or the only one to think the look wasn't as superb as I had hoped for. I have never had a problem with any liquid foundation before (other than being unhappy with the coverage or shade, no allergic reactions), so I went right back to what I was using before and have stayed with it ever since.

Bismuth oxychloride, which is present in a lot of mineral makeup, is a skin irritant that also causes a lot of people bad itching. This is one of those same ingredients that gives you that translucent, glowy finish many people find so appealing about mineral makeup, and it certainly doesn't irritate everyone's skin, but there are many who just don't get on well with that particular ingredient.

The only advice I can give is to look for makeup without that, and to move onto conventional makeup if you cannot find a good mineral makeup to replace the one you were using.

I have never actually used mineral makeup, but I can imagine that it could clog your pores? Because of the mineral compounds in it, that could just go inside your pores and cause a blockage, leading to breakouts and red skin, that kind of thing.

I would advise you to give it a rest for a couple of days and see if your skin clears up. You could also use a facial mask to draw out impurities if you want to speed the process up. Maybe you could try the mineral compound again later to see if it was the cause of your skin problems or just a coincidence.