The same exact thing happened to me I've had it for 3yrs with no periods and just last week I started bleeding !! I been bleeding for 1 week dont know what to do im kinda scared . I mean is it normal ??

afger almost 2 1/2 years if mirena, my first IUD i have been so happy to never had a period. Bit last couple days saw some symtoms with tenderness and discharge and thinking a period is coming. Didnt expect sowas scared. took pregnancy test and thank goodness showed negative. why i am i all of a sudden getting a period? I thought Mirena was good for 5 years?

You should def get that thing out and keep it out for a few weeks to get your body back ontrack and then try it again.

I'm SO GLAD I found a thread of women who are having the same problems!! My IUD has been great up until about two weeks ago. I have a doctors appointment in a few days, but I'm glad to know my experience has happened to other people. I've had Mirena for 2.5 years and it's been great, insertion hurt as expected but my period stopped almost immediately and other than maybe a spot or two I haven't had a period until tonight, and I've had awful cramps for about two weeks. I have really bad periods without birth control, so I'm reluctant to have it removed but after reading so many accounts like these I'm really considering it.

I have worn the iud for 9 years. Never one problem not one period nothing. I went on vacation with two girls on their cycle and I'm spotting! I hope I don't star having problems because I love the IUD. I'm sorry all you girls are having problems. That stinks.

Hi I have my Mirena IUD  for a little over and one month and just out of the blue started my period on May 30,2014 and it started out light but now heavier with lot of cramping and bleeding  This stinks I haven't had a period in over a year now . What has caused this to happen

I am having an issue similar to many other ladies! I've had mirena for 3 years and 1 month and it has been PERFECT until this morning. I started experiencing extreme cramping on my left side and started bleeding. I had minor spotting for about 2-3 months after insertion but have not had a period or drop of blood since then until today. I took a pregnancy test and it came out negative but I'm worried about what could be causing this.

From the Mirena website:

Changes in bleeding. Your period may become irregular and you may have bleeding and spotting between menstrual periods, especially during the first 3 to 6 months. A few women have heavy bleeding during this time. After your body adjusts, periods usually get lighter and the number of bleeding days is likely to decrease, but may remain irregular. Or you may even find that your periods stop altogether—in which case, you should contact your healthcare provider to rule out pregnancy.

Call your healthcare provider if the bleeding remains heavier than usual or if the bleeding becomes heavy after it has been light for a while.

I had the Mirena for about a year and 4 months. I had a very painful insertion causing cramps so bad that they triggered my stomach condition and I was immediately hospitalized for intense pain (normal with an attack of my condition, but not normal to be triggered by severe cramps). I have not had the follow up appointment to see if it was still properly placed because my health had been so bad that I hadn't been able to see my gynocologist. That was upon insertion and now 1 yr and 4 months later I am having very irregular periods that vary in flow. Sometimes normal spotting and sometimes a full blown period. I have also had a discharge that is sometime brown or pink in colour which is not normal for me. Constant yeast infections... Now experience EXTREME cramps again similar to the ones experienced upon insertion. Could this mean the coil is not in the proper place? I have been having spotting for about a month now... very worried. 

I have had the same thing I have given birth to my second son on 2011 and got the mirena put in a few months later and have had lots of cramps then no period really except spotting and then sometimes not at all then in the last 6 months I have bleed a lot out of no where with extreme pain and now this month I have not and was suppose to start on the 1st of July and have had cramps ever since but still nothing and its the 16th of July . I haven't felt my string in there for a while I am totally freaking out! Please help

I had my mirena inserted in 2012 and is only just coming up to two years now. Insertion was great and I think I had spotting that night. That was the last time I have any pv bleeding. In the last three to four months I have had light to moderate bleeds for about three days. I have had a few things going on in this time, working full time and taking up uni externally, living with parent again, father diagnosed with cancer, relatively new partner. I'm not quite sure what is causing it just yet. Recently during intercourse he 'felt that thing you have' and since then I have bled or had spotting. It's been about ten days. I actually work for a doctor who does iud insertions. Get a lot of feedback from people who come in. She inserts atleast 8 a week and of this it would be less than 1 person returning a month with troubles with it. At the moment to settle my problems my gp has put me on the pill, has quite stopped it yet but she did say to take it for six months to 'train' my body again. With the recent stuff I have been sent for an ultrasound which I'm due to have tomorrow and a blood test to check my hormone levels. To be honest there are a lot of thing that can affect it. First off, it doesn't suit everyone (nothing does unfortunately that's why there is so many different forms of birth control) if you've waited your six months for everything to settle and it hasn't, ask to have it removed. Second every type contraception has a possibility of causing major problems, it's very very sad if you are someone who has had something go wrong that has now affected your reproductive system. I guess third would be there are a lot of different things that can cause this unusual bleeding after time, from stress, hormones, weight loss to polyps, movement (possibly during intercourse to more serious issues like ectopic pregnancy's, more serious cysts, perforation of the uterine wall. If you have a concern there are honestly too many different possible cause to find your exact answer on google, it is best to head to your gp or obs n gyn and have it investigated. Now I have actually typed what is going on in my life over the last couple of months I believe mine personally would be stress, however I feel much safer having it investigated just to be sure. I apologise this is so long but I hadn't found many post giving all you lovely ladies possible reasons as to why your now having troubles. I wish you all the best of luck and fingers crossed where all back to period free or normal cycles soon!!!

ball is life

I have been having the exact same symptoms as you. Haven't had a period in two years, and today I noticed pain just on my left side near my hip. When I went to undress, there was dark brown blood on my panties. I like you am wondering why this would just all of a sudden start happening.

Who told you that your body was hanging onto all that "menstral gunk" as you call it? That's not what Mirena does. It DOES have hormones and it causes the lining in your uterus to thin over time preventing your body from shedding it itself, which is what your period is. After a while it stops thickening. Then when you take the Mirena out, the body starts producing it again and that's where periods come from. The hormones don't cause this in some women which is why some still have periods.

I have had IUD for 3 years now never had any problems. Love it, spotting for a few days is my normal period. But I have now been bleeding for almost 3 weeks bright red almost constantly! It has always hurt a little during sex if in the wrong position or if kinda rougher sex and sometime.yes sporting after words but I'm now worried because ive been bleeding for 3 weeks and a steady flow :(