Hi

Ive had mirena for 3 1/2 years for heavy bleeding. Been having 3 monthly spotting till March 2012. Ever since March, had normal periods every 3 months - March, June, September, November. Been referred to gynae and ultrasound showed a 10mm thick endometrium. Was told this is unusual for mirena.

Has anyone else had investigations?

By the way, any abnormal bleeding should be investigated. Dont blame the coil!

That is not normal! See your GP as soon as possible.

after finding this forum I went and had my iud removed. I feel SO much better now. I actually felt like an entirely new person after just walking out of the office. It was amazing. Had to pay $15 but it was well worth it! Just havent stopped bleeding [sorry for the graphics] and it's been a month now..

Ive had mine for three years as well and i was spotting for a while well for some reason this month i have at it three times and its real heavy flow and ive had the same problem with the camping as well, and like i can barley eat and when i do i take a few bites and then i cant eat anymore it makes me sick and i have no idea why.

i also have the mirena for about 3 years now and i spot and always have cramps ...

Hi guys

I have had the mirena coil for 3 1/2 years now. Had it fitted in June 2009. Been having 3 monthly spotting while on mirena.

In March 2012, I started having normal periods every 3 months rather than spotting. In Novemeber I had a period tice, three weeks apart! Went to see my gynae who arranged a scan that showed 10mm thickened endometrium lining which was unusual for mirena as it thins the lining.

Had hysteroscopy and biopsy and removed the mirena at the same time. Started bleeding 2 days after removal. Normal period at the moment. Waiting for result of biopsy.

Has any1 else been investigated for heavy bleeding? If so what was the reason for bleeding despite being on mirena? Could the hormone have run out?

Appreciate any responses.

I'm having this problem not got it put in in may of 2009 and having cramping and bleeding !!!!!!

I've had my iud since march of 2010 about 4 months ago or so my husband told me he could no longer feel it when we had sex, then I started having what seems like a monthly period always about the same time of month within a couple days. I had no problems with the insersion or anything like that just wondering how likely it would be to fall out without my noticing although before the iud I never had a regular period but now I seem to be having a monthly one. If anyone knows for sure they had one fall out without them noticing please let me know.

I too am having the same issue. I have had Mirena for 3 and a half years and have NEVER had a period. I have been bleeding for 3 days now!

I had mine put in Jan 2009 and haven’t had any spotting, etc (except right after it was put in which is normal) and then after having it 3yrs started spotting regularly each month but not enough to use anything and I’ve had very bad stomach pain and have seen my doctor twice and she felt that I have 3 small cists, which is common with the mirena and that we’d keep watching them.  I’ve also had more UTI’s than I can count in the last year…..i’ve never had one except one time when I was pregnant with my son before I got it….Now it’s been four years and the bleeding and pain is getting worse I read an article that the mirena can get imbedded in your uterus or other organs and have to be surgically removed and all the side effects I’ve listed are those of it being imbedded ….i’m not freaking out I still feel the string but I go Monday to the doctor…I’ll post what I find out then!!

Has the? Been solved. I'm still having those issues and island if I should be concerned

i'm on my second IUD.

My first IUD was installed prior to me having any children. The insertion was very painful and I had continuous spotting. I didn't mind the spotting as much for I have had terrible experiences with other methods of birth control ie pills, depo shot, and nuva ring. However, after 9 months, i started having terrible abominable pains. I went to the dr. to have it removed and the strings were no where to be found! I immediately had an ultra sound and the IUD floated to the top of my uterus and one of the arms [of the IUD] was beginning to puncture the top of my uterus. With the use of some special tools, the IUD was immediately removed. My new Dr. explains that the insertion was probably not done correctly and that by me not having any kids, this could have caused issue. Praise God, I got pregnant about two and half months later :) ...

Now, two kids later, my new IUD insertion was a breeze. BUT I have been spotting for a year now, and like everyone else, some days are worse than others and it has impacted my sex life. I'm not going to have it removed because i like being assured that I will not get pregnant again right now, especially after having two kids within two years…I don't know what method could be better, then emplanon maybe? 

Hi Ladies

Im on my 4th Mirena coil,the 1st 3 i had i had no problems at all and my periods stopped completely,but towards the middle of last year a couple of months before my coil was due to be changed i started bleeding on and off with pain i went and saw my gp and she said it was possible that the coil had run out of the hormone that it releases and a possible infection so was given antibiotics for this but the following month it happened again.

Well i had my coil changed 6 months ago but this time my periods are back but have left it as i thought my body had to ajust to a new coil,but this month my period is really heavy and im in so much pain which ive wanted to just stay in bed,the pains from my ovaries and shoots down my legs,so im seeing my doctor this week.

HEY LADIES you are not the only one having the bleeding problem I have had my iud in for almost 2 1/2 yrs and this Monday will mark two weeks I have been bleeding sometimes very light but other times very heavy first week i thought was just my period and it had come early cause i get mine every month. but then it went 2 days  over and now 5 days over so kinda stressing a little I am trying to get in to see a doc to find out. A Friend of mine says could be out of place but after reading this i am thinking just losing its hormones. So I am hoping to get into a doc this week to find out cause if miss placed or losing hormones might talk to my hubby and seeing about getting it takin out early cause I cant take this the cramping, dizziness, being tired, nausea  cranky, snapping at my kids and husband, etc.  Its just not fair to them.

ok every one so i got to see a doc yesterday and they said i should not even been having periods cause the iud should stop them. so they did a blood test to see about thyroid and couple others but they could see the strings. but they are also going to do a ultrasound in two wks to see if it is not moved or anything else. so i hoping for the best.