Mirena is TERRIBLE. They told my wife when she asked specifically if I could feel it, "No." Since the beginning almost a year ago, I've been swearing I can feel it, and she keeps telling me that's impossible, because it's in a spot where I can't feel it. Finally after feeling like I'm losing my mind she says, "Well you might be able to feel a string." IT'S NOT A STRING, it's like FISHING LINE, and MEN LET ME TELL YOU, GOD FORBID that fishing line goes inside your hole, which opens when you go inside your woman.. it hurts like heck, and doesn't go away for a while! My wife's Mirena came lose, had to be re-positioned, her periods are all out of whack, and as of today I am not having sex anymore until that thing is REMOVED. We will find another method. My 2 ccents for what it's worth is DO NOT use Mirena. Also for what it's worth, we are a 14 year couple that is faithful, I am 34 and I do not have any issues, it IS Mirena.

It hurts you all because the string was cut too short. You should not feel the string poke YOU or your partner. The problem with some doc's is that they don't do a lot of them or are not trained properly on how to handle the string. My doc said, "You can always cut it shorter but you can't make it longer." She said when some doc's make it so short that the male can feel it poking him, often the women have to get it taken out and have a NEW one replaced. NOT FUN! So, that is what's going to most likely be your option. Take it out and leave it out, or have a new one put back in after it's taken out. The string should be long enough to touch with your fingers, and it will naturally coil around in a vagina. If it's hurting you, you might have to get an ultrasound to make sure it has not penetrated through your cervical wall. Otherwise complications can occur when they try to take it out. This is done by the doc. swiftly tugging on it, and they will have you cough really hard while they do it. Personally, I wouldn't want a new one in if I had to have mine taken out. It was painful, and my orgasm's are different. I practically feel "numb" down there, when I do have one. This is due to the mirena. :-(

I was just wondering if you have just had the mirena placed in and you've waited about a week would it be ok if the male had an orgasm when you had sex? Or is it too early?

i have the mirena in for 3 months and my hubby can feel it now the frist time we had sex he could not feel it now he can and i can to when he lets go his boys as he callls it

So, I have had mirena for about a year and a half now.. was with the same man throughout most of this time, whom never had any complaints. I am now with a more endowed man who has complained about being poked both of the 2 times we have had sex. Wonderful. However, its only when the thrusting is "at its peak" that it can be felt. I am assuming by the above posts this is cause of the IUD. I am going to attempt going back to the gyno and having the strings trimmed. This is the best form of birth control I have had so far and yes, the insertion is painful so I am really hoping to avoid removal. Thanks for the info!

I recently got my mirena in and of course it HURT never beening pregnant before. I finally had intercourse 3 days later, it felt like when my husband was thrusting his penis came to a dead end inside me. Like he kept hitting a brick wall. He said it felt normal to him. Has anyone else felt this?

im 23 and just got mirena after having my 2 month old daughter..it ws doing goos..im have cramping sometimes and for the first time tonight my bf said he could feel the sharp poking..i was shocked i didnt think he would reach it. my doc told me i might have few or no period on mirena.. was anyone else told this

See, I had a baby less then 8 weeks ago, got my mirena yesterday and it didn't hurt to have it inserted at all. However today, my husband said he felt like a thick string, similar to fishing line, was poking him in the head of his penis. After about a minute, he said it was tolerable and just annoying instead of hurting him as it had been. But that wasn't the end of t, about an hour or two after having sex, we discussed the feeling and he said he felt as if he still had small cuts on the head. I've had no cramps or pain of any sort since insertion, but he said he can deal until my check-up so I figure we just need the strings cut shorter.

I discussed this with my doctor at the time of insertion and she said that sometimes if the strings are too short they can be a bit 'poky' so she leaves them a little longer to allow them to curl around the cervix.

i have had the mirena now for about a month. recently my boyfriend and i were intimate and his penis was very sore when he pull out.
he said he kept getting poked. i got the mirena cuz i want to finish school before i even think about having another child. i'm seeing my dr in two weeks for post mirena check.
i'm very sexual and starting to consider removing the mirena. i love when my boyfriend go all the way and my sex life is getting boring because he's hurting a lot from all the poking.

If the coil is wrongly positioned then it can damage the penis. The only reliable way to check the position of the coil is by using an ultrasound scan. If you only had a visual check then go and see your doctor

Yes, this is true...after time (granted it's about 6 months) the strings soften and curl a bit...so instead of pointy edges from the strings, they curl much like a "j" and the points won't stab you anymore...though you may still feel them there.

I am with only the 2nd girl I ever encountered with the IUD, Both girls gave me the same problem, With the 1st girl introduced me to it and I found out after I was repeatedly being jabbed by what seemed to be a plastic toothpick or antenna of some sort? Now the girl I'm with now has it in her and at 1st it seemed tolerable, my pain tolerance is fairly high and I tend to rather tune it out and succomb to the pleasure, but because of this new form of sexual torture my penis has red poke marks on the head where the iud has been jabbing me! Looks bad but goes away after a day of healing. But I don't know how much longer I can keep torturing my penis! I feel like maybe it will callas and become used to it, but I doubt it! This really sucks cause my girl likes sex and I do as well, but it seems like such a health hazzard to get off!! I don't know what to do?

so, reading these comments and stories, Im kinda worried. Im thinking about getting the Mirena thing done, and my boyfriend and I are extremely rough during sex. Im now very scared that if I get it, he will feel it, and we wont be able to have sex anymore. I have a problem with oragasming, and this is the only way we have found to get me to actually climax. I dont know if I want to get it anymore...

I had this problem and they finally did an ultra sound and the iud had slid down and they had to take it out and put a new one in hope this helps.