I've had my Mirena in for 2 years now and at first my boyfriend could feel the strings all the time. I went to the doctor and he trimmed the strings. This was at the monthly follow up I had right after I had it inserted. Now I've noticed that the strings have gotten longer which is weird. Last week my boyfriend and I were getting pretty crazy and he stopped because he said he was getting hurt. He was in pretty deep. I asked him if the strings were poking him and he said that it wasnt the strings but that he felt something like a cup. He doesnt know what the iud looks like but he said he felt a cup??? I have no idea what he felt but the next day I was cramping pretty hard and I threw up right after we finished having sex. Could it be that the iud is out of place? I just started working at a new job so my insurance hasnt kicked in for me to go to the dr. and have it checked out. Also this month I cramped badly the day I was supposed to get my period so I thought ok its coming. I waited and waited and nothing. I had very light staining. You know like when you wipe and the toilet paper is pink? But that was about it. After we had sex which was 2 days after I was cramping I threw up and woke up with really bad cramps but no bleeding. I bled really litely 2 days after that. I am not sure if my period is going away like they said it would or if I can possibly be pregnant. I think I may just be tripping but last week I drank half a beer and got grossed out and threw up. My boyfriend asked me if I was pregnant. I slipped and fell in the shower that day so I thought it was because of that. Has anyone else had the "cup" felt by their partner or any of the other things I have experienced, except for the slip and fall in the shower. Or if your period has stopped because of Mirena what were the side effects and how long after did it stop? Thanks.

My wife has had the iud for over 2 years!! Im not small and I feel that damn poking feeling everytime during intercoarse!!! once i feel it, we change positions, it can hurt at times!! I had her talk to her doctor and inspect it!! she said it was all ok and that the iud is too far up, that I shouldnt even be able to feel it? Ive learned to work around it I guess, still better then condoms, i think.

I have had Mirena for about a month now and I am seriously considering getting it taken out. It was very painful getting it put in for me and it actually triggered a seizure (but that is a different story, it will not trigger seizures for all women) and my seizures have been worse since I got it put in. I have been on and off my period, from light spotting, to heavy bleeding. It is not painful for me to have sex but my fiance' has told me that ever since I got it put in it has been painful for him. Like his penis is rubbing against it or something. After intercourse he feels very sore and raw close to the tip (which makes me feel bad). But also I think the worst thing i've bee dealing with (other than the annoying period), is the constant migranes. I get them almost every day, which puts me in even worse sort of mood. All of this has resulted in me having a short temper. So yeah, Mirena I think WAS a good idea, but definitely NOT for ALL women. If it works for you great! But be prepared to possibly be one of those women (like me) that unfortunately do suffer the side effects, and be out your money (unless you have health insurance).  

my boyfriend said the vein in his penis is swollen after we have sex i just got the mirena put in 1 week ago v

I had my Mirena inserted about 3 months ago - during a D&C for heavy bleeding and to thin out my endometrial lining. I understand my periods are supposed to get lighter (or non-existant?) and the progesterone will help thin out the lining.

So far my periods are happening like CLOCKWORK (I have never been this regular in my life) but they are heavy and long (7-8 days), with a bit of spotting mid-cycle (ovulation?). I was not using tampons cuz I read that it was not recommended - but checked w/dr and online and it seems to be common to use them.

So this time I was using tampons and noticed the other day some pain and was feeling something weird inside! So I ‘checked’ and could feel the strings really low and I guess ‘poking’ me? Kinda freaked me out!!! So I shoved them back ‘up’ somewhere...and called to make an emergency appt w/gyno to see what’s going on! (I thought maybe the tampon had pulled on them or something like that?)

I just checked again and I think I somehow had managed to ‘coil’ them up somewhere cuz I can feel them but they are not ‘hanging down’ as they were a few days ago!

And yes my dh definitely feels them and is none too pleased about that!

Has anyone else ever felt the strings poking you inside? If so what did you do about it? Was the IUD in place? Or did you need to have it ‘adjusted’ in any way?

I've had my mirena for a year and me and my boyfriend have been having sex and he says that he can feel something when he is inside. I was wondering if anyone else had this problem because i know by now my strings should be not as noticeable.

hi, i ve been experiencing the same thing, i ve told my wife yesterday, she was wondering why i hadn't told her before. In fact, i had been patient saying to myself let s give it some more time, but it s really annoying. she s gonna talk to her prodiver monday and see what she s gonna do/say about it.

Im having the same problem! Ive had mine a month now and my bf says it feels diffetent and sometimes hurts him ! Its really getting me down and dont know what to do! I dont want kids im only 23!

I have had the 2nd one put in about a ur ago so had for about 6 yrs!! I love it and wouldn't swap for any other birth control! The 2nd fitting was a lot less painful than the first! Pain killer half hour previous and a good gentle doc tends to help!! Just recently my partner has experienced a poking sensation on his penis and too painful for full intercourse! Not sure what to do:(!!

I have had mirena now for 1 month and it hurt so bad being put in too. My husband complains every time we have sex that it pokes his pee hole. I hate to get rid of it beause it has made my periods lighter. Im gonna see about the cutting of the strings too!

yes. ihad the same thing done. my strings cut and im hoping it helps. i wanted to know if anyone else experienced this.

I just went back to my doctor and she said the strings are already cut as close as she can make it because if she cuts any more then they will have a hard time taking it out in 5 years. So she said there is nothing else she can do except get the mirena removed :(

thats because your pose to wait 6 weeks before having sex after putting mirena in.

I have had the idu in me for about 5 months now, and same thing it hurts both me and my husband (he gets cuts and i just get the pain). yesterday on the Dr's they asked this question and they say that i can be because it has fallen down so far that the end of the iud is sticking out of your cervix, the other reason is that the strings may be too short and will be like the needles poking him.. I have already been for an ultra sound to tell us that it was still in the correct position.  So if the strings are too short you cant just make them longer, so i am now getting the iud removed and going on a different form of birth control so my husband and i can begin to resume enjoying our sex life.

Yes I just had that problem now I was bleeding when I went to the bathroom after I had sex idk what it is