This is most likely a pulled tongue muscle. I've done it multiple times and it usually goes away after a while and I don't even notice it.

I have had the same issue with my tongue. Seems to be swollen on the left side and hurts. I have been taking probiotics, so maybe I just have too much in my system. I have a doctors appointment on Friday, so I hope to get more answers then. I have been feeling icky and that's why I was taking the probiotics. Maybe it could be a vitamin deficiency or some other deficiency. Idk, but whatever it is I hope it stops soon.

I am going through this now.

The left side of my tongue started hurting yesterday. I can see no visible sign of damage. It almost feels like a bruise of my tongue...

Sleeping sucks. I keep waking up from the pain. Swallowing also hurts.

I did just get over a cold, where I had a sore throat for 10 days! (Dr. said it was NOT strep).

ANSWER!!!!
YES, here is your Answer! "Burning Tongue"
Burning Tongue common Symptoms:
• Dry Mouth
• Sore mouth
• Itchy mouth
• Sticky mouth
• A tingling or numb sensation in the mouth or on the tip of the tongue Burning tongue
• A metallic taste
affects women seven times as often as men. Women goingthrough hormonal transitions, such as the time leading up to menopause, are at an even greater risk of developing the symptom, because hormonal imbalance is known to cause burning tongue. Continue reading to learn more about burning tongue, its causes, and the options available to treat burning tongue.
About Burning Tongue:
Also known as burning mouth syndrome, burning tongue has a self-explanatory name. It also goes by its medical names: glossodynia, glossopyrosis, oral galvanism, stomatodynia and stomatopyrosis. Burning tongue is accompanied by burning pain on the tongue, especially on the tip or back of the tongue, or other areas of the mouth.
Did you know? Burning mouth pain is often absent during the night but progressively increases throughout the day and into the evening.

Following the onset, which is often instantaneous, burning tongue has been known to last for several years. There are typically no visible signs or lesions on the tongue or mouth in those who suffer from it.
On the left are some other common symptoms of burning tongue
Causes of Burning Tongue:
There are several possible causes of burning tongue, but because it is most common in postmenopausal women, researches believe the primary cause in women is hormonal imbalance, specifically low estrogen levels. In fact, burning tongue affects up to 40% of menopausal women, with the onset typically occurring between three years prior to menopause and 12 years following menopause.
Estrogen is known to play a part in the make up of the saliva, which researchers believe can cause burning tongue once estrogen levels decrease. But perhaps more prominently, estrogen affects the bitter taste buds located at the back of the tongue. Without adequate levels of estrogen, some women begin to lose their bitter taste buds. These taste buds are surrounded by a basket-like collection of pain neurons that activate when the taste buds are damaged by lack of estrogen.

Other Causes of Burning Tongue.
Although hormonal imbalance is the primary cause of burning tongue in women at the age of menopause and older, there are other causes of burning tongue as well. They are:
• Diabetes
• Oral candida (oral yeast)
• Dry mouth (xerostomia)
• Medications (diuretics, oral diabetic meds, some blood pressure meds)
• Blood abnormalities (dyscrasias, anemia)
• Nutritional deficiencies (especially vitamin B-12, niacin, iron, or folic acid)
• Gastric acid reflux
• Allergies (foods, toothpastes, mouthwashes, chewing gums)
• Geographic tongue
• Dental disease
• Noxious oral habits (tongue biting, scalloped tongue)
• Psychological causes (depression)
• Chronic infections
• Inflammatory disorders
• Lingual nerve damage
• Tobacco use
• Oral cancer
Treatment for Burning Tongue:
Did you know? Chewing Sugar-free gum can be an easy remedy for burning tongue.

Because burning tongue brings with it physical pain and discomfort, those who suffer from it often seek treatment for it. When exploring treatment options, it´s important to begin with methods that are the least obtrusive, with the least likelihood of side effects, and progress from there.
This means that lifestyle changes are the best place to begin. Some simple tasks can alleviate some of the discomfort of burning tongue. Drinking more water, for instance, can stimulate saliva production and relieve some of the symptoms. Certain foods may be best to avoid, such as spicy foods, cinnamon, or mint.
Typically, combining lifestyle changes and alternative medicines will produce the best outcome. Alternative medicines can be different herbs and supplements, or even techniques like acupuncture. When seeking out alternative medicines, keep in mind that because burning tongue during menopause is associated with hormones, look for substances that bring a natural balance to the hormonal levels, for this will go a long way to alleviate burning tongue.

Finally, if still experiencing burning tongue, there are different drugs and surgeries that can be explored. Drugs are often prescribed simply to cope with burning tongue but to nothing to treat the source of the problem. This final option also comes with the most risks and side effects.

I have this same tongue thing, and I'm glad to read others have had this same pain.  I have been really stressed lately, so I'm never surprised to find out that stress can cause crazy things.  My father passed away this last weekend, and my wife moved out back in June, so dealing with both have likely led to this tongue thing as many have mentioned.  I'm curious to know how stressed the other people suffering from this have been, likely the same cause.  Best of luck, I'm going to try some of the rinses - I found that chloraseptic used orally and swished around in my mouth gave me some relief.  Likely I need to get on my bike more often and burn off the stress.  Good luck others.

my tounge hurts so much i can't eat anything not even chocolate :(

My lips became very chapped and then the underneath of my tongue, and half way up the inner side of my gums feel like someone has taken sand paper to it. It hurts to talk and eat. Even the tip of my tongue feels weird like it was sand papered. I have been stressed out, I smoke, and I have lost a lot of weight do to being stressed and not eating right. AND I'm finishing up my lady cycle. It could be a number of things. If anyone has been through this plz let me know what helped or cured it, as I have no insurance and can't see a physician.

i have no idea. I woke up this morning and the farther the day went on the more it hurt. I tried looking up why my tongue hurts an hour ago, and now im eating dinner and it hurts like crazy. The sides of my tongue hurt to eat, chew gum, drink, swallow and even talk?!?!!?
idk whats wrong with it. it needs to go awayy!!

Stress could be a legitimate answer to this tongue problem so many people are experiencing. I'm going to try this for this tongue pain alleviation: I'm going to hydrate more get in all my vitamins try not to tongue my teeth (I don't even think I do that very much) gargle some warm salt water and get some exercise in to alleviate this stress I'm experiencing with final exam testing.

My husband and I both have been experiencing this pain on our tongues for a couple of weeks now. Could it be an allergy? I heard someone mention strep. God I hope not. My family (who lives in arkansas, we in wisconsin) have been diagnosed with rare types of strep (C and G) WTF is going on?

my friends toungue hurts alot she doesen't feel a needle through her mouth lol:)

Rinse or gargle salted water. It will kill the bacteria. I had it before and did this and it work fines. Hope that helps.

i can join the club. it started at the back of my tongue. what i thought was a cancor sore and then a few days later it made my tongue hurt/feel kinda numb. its still there. i just want it to go away. gaaa!

It is either tongue cancer or a fungal infection. Fungal infections will go away in a week or two. U just need to drink lots of water and white blood cells will take care or it

holy c**p it worked thats freaking crazy !!! never would i have guessed that one thank you!!!