Anyone who is debating getting the surgery should not wait to get the surgery. The longer your calcium levels remain high the more debilitating the disease's effects will be. The surgery may not be the magic bullet we all hope it could be but you have to give your body time to heal and adopt a super healthy lifestyle. It is now 4 years after I had the surgery, still having tingling in extremities at times; my CRP is relatively high and my joints still ache. What has helped is exercising and detoxing. I notice the pain is gone from my joints when I go all raw juices and vegetables. I follow the protocol from Hallelujah Acres.... if I stick to it, I am sure I will lose weight and decrease the inflammation in my joints. here is my list of things that i have found to bring down the inflammation:
1. Raw food/ juices diet
2. Krill oil fish oil
3. Exercise

I am 48 years old and feel the same after my parathyroid surgery. I wish I had some answers for you, my doctors can't figure it out either but I am plugging away having tests done and continuing to try different pain meds to keep me upbeat and functioning. Please let me know if you find any answers and I will keep you posted if I find any too! So sorry for your grandmother

Yes, I have gained about 5 lbs in 4 weeks after surgery. I am very small and 5 lbs is a lot for me. I noticed your post is over a year old. Did the issue resolve for you?

Chris, I just had parathyroid surgery in Tampa on Nov 3, 2014, and 5 weeks post op I'm still getting intermittent dizziness. Were you able to do anything for your dizziness? How long did it take to finally resolve?

I had what I think was a double parathyroidectomy on Nov. 4, 2014. I, too, thought that it would be minimally invasive but when I had my final preop meeting with the surgeon, I found out that nothing definitive showed up on any of the three ultrasounds as well as the sestamibi scan. The surgeon informed his staff that he wanted me as the last patient because of possible complications due to the scans being inconclusive. As far as I know, the surgery went okay. But the scar is still red and I have a pulling sensation in the outside front of my throat when I swallow. Can anybody explain why I have the feelings that I have?

Hi I had my surgery on 12/15/14. My calcium was 11.8 and my PTH was 198. Since my surgery I am tired, foggy, anxious and lack interest in things. It's worse since surgery although my body pain is gone thankfully. I am taking 1600mg calcium daily and have just developed a lump in my throat. The post surgical info says they'll be ups and downs but I'm not sure how long I'll feel this way

Can it hurt your voice, I have not found any information on this.

It will go away. It's even going to get hard halfway up towards the tops of your kneck

Just HD parathyroidectomy awed and a half ago . Somewhat lumpy hard scar. I wonder if you had that. Hoping g to have more energy less bone pain in the near future any advise for care?

Get a full panel of thyroid tests done for your grandmother. TSH alone is not reliable but often it and T4 is what is done. Need to do T-3, Reverse T-3 and Thyroid Antibodies too. You may have to find a functional medicine doctor to do these tests. She probably does not need the anti-depressant at all!!!

Hi Had my parathyroidectomy 3 weeks ago today and have exactly the same worry about a lump protruding just above the little scar - lump pulls when I put my head back too - my daughter thought they'd left the adenoma there!!! Not noticeable when my chin is tucked in - it's a bit tender when touched - can't imagine why it's there - is it a bit of thyroid? Chris

Had terrible panic attacks after surgery and thought I was dying, 6 times... Doctor didn't know to check thyroid hormone and provide beta blocker :( now I suffer from severe anxiety/insomnia/sob/fast heart rate/head face numbness etc. might be from the attacks. Praying hard it will get better, almost 3 weeks after surgery.and I can't drive or work or get nervous...

I understand how you feel. It is real and not in your head, as some doctors might tell you. I had my surgery in Tampa almost 3 years ago. Had many of your same symptoms and more. It is much,much better now. But it has taken me a long time to get here and I still have episodes. Especially when I'm really tired. I finally saw a wonderful neurologist that believed me and had seen this before. Thank the Lord for him. He gave me hope. Everyone is different and our bodies react in different ways. The should tell you this so you know what to expect. I would not do it again,but I am glad my calcium is at a normal level. Although I do take a lot of calcium each day and may have to the rest of my life. I do hope your recovery will be sooner than mine. I'm just thankful to feel more normal now.

Had my surgery in mid July. Weakness and bone pain disappeared but the post surgery anxiety, shaking and depression are off the charts. Has anyone else had this experience? Does it get better?

I am having the exact same problem....I see your post is over a year old so please tell me how this went and I'm that lump ever went away...I sure hope so...