starrgilmartin: I would think 2 weeks post op all the swelling may not be gone. Is your throat sore? Does drinking warm drinks help? My throat was not sore, but my neck felt tight for a while. Cool drinks were soothing to me. Also sleeping on extra pillows. I would cut my pills to see if that helps or find if they come in liquid form. When is your follow up appt with Dr? Did you have just one adenoma? If the problem persists maybe you should contact your surgeon. Best of luck. Please remember recovery is different for all us . Best regards, txg

Hope you feel better soon starr granny is right it might be to soon to feel no soreness. Keep us informed. O.K. I have did some reaserch on who does these MIRP surgeries. here is a list of surgeons I have found if u have a dr u know about please add him or her to this list. Dr Chen in N. CA. he also has a web site with a list of drs who supposely do the MRIP it is californiaparathyroid.com. But I know of 1 dr on there that does not do this surgery so you still will need to research these drs as well. It is ur body, so research them all. Dr. Norman FL. Dr. Babak Larian L.A. Cedar sinai Dr. Schlinkert mayo phoenix AZ, Dr. Stickney Seattle WA., Dr. Laura SZynter NY, Dr. John Collins CO not possitive on him, Dr. Alen Cohen LA CA. I hope this helps anyone looking for a surgeon. If there is a state on there u r not close to check ouy Dr Chen web site as he has alot more drs. but remember research them if u want the MIRP sergery and ask how many surgeries they have done. make up a list of questions u would like answered be thourgh. hope this helps. and if any one would like to post this under other para topics go for it as i am new and probably don't know how. E

wow i didn't mean to shut down the questions n answeres on this link. i hope everyone is doing better. i am still waiting having more test. being scared that i will need an antibiotic soon n i will have no choice n will die from the reaction drs have found i don;t have any left to try. and no answers to why my body react severly to anything going into it that is chemically based. all medicines now i react. make me sick along time. hopefully i will turn around. but doubt it. granny do u react to all antibiotics too. what do u do....any help please

timberswife: I am sorry you are still searching for answers. On your question regarding antibiotics. I can not take oral antibiotics. I am very careful not need them. I take very little med. Med for BP and for hypothyroid. Also calcium and multivitamin. I have learned I am allergic to red dye in meds (learned this the hard way with a trip to ER). A lot of generics have red dye in them so be careful. My pharmacy has been good to order my generics in white with no extra cost. Hope this has been helpful. txg

I just had my parathyroid surgery on 4/28/09 and I am THRILLED with the results. I am somewhat concerned because I've seen some postings saying some people felt better and then after a couple of weeks, they began feeling bad again. I sure hope thats not my case. I had my surgery in Nashville, TN at Vanderbilt and they were just great. My incision is very small and has not caused me any problems. I had a slight sore throat for maybe 2 days but I can honestly say I felt better from the time I woke up from surgery. My main complaints were that for probably 4 years, I have been getting steadily stiffer. My legs and arms were constantly aching and I had gotten to the point I could not get out of a chair without pushing up with my arms and then, I had to stand for several seconds in order to begin walking. My body was just as sore as if I had been on a long hike but it felt this way all the time. Riding in a car was terrible and I would have pains in my hips and legs. It felt hopeless. Even going ton a short outing to the grocery would make me so tired I just felt I couldn't continue and was constantly looking for a place to sit down. I kept telling my doctor I just didn't feel right. Finally, I had a blood test come back showing high calcium and they checked my PTH hormone. It was high too so thats when I was sent to the surgeon. Today was 5 days after surgery and I was able to go out with my husband, visitin gardening centers, riding in the car, walking around with NO PAIN and I have not felt like I needed a nap all day either. My doctor had told me I would probably not feel much differently for 3 to 4 months but I literally woke up feeling better. If I can just continue as I feel right now, it will all be worth it. I was fortunate I did not have kidney problems and things of that nature, just the body aches and things like that. My calcium was 12 when I had the surgery and my doctor said that did not happen overnight and had caused damage in my body I was not aware of. If you need the surgery, get it, I'm glad I did. I have read some people had bad experiences and I feel bad for them but as stated, mine was fine, no pain at all compared to the pain I've had for the last 4 years.

angelia....so glad to hear u are feeling so good after ur operation. I am still waiting on a diagnosis, going to a very good endocrine dr. on the 20th this month so will see. i did finally get a call back from the dr. in ca. larin he was nice but good not help me much without knowing if i truly have para. he says it sounds like it. but since i have not been diagnosised, nothing. i have been to my old allergist last week, i guess i surprized him.....i amm allergic to things....i just don't give off the normal symptoms. going to new allergist this thursday i hope he is better. i can stand the c**p i deal with day in an day out. if i just knew what is wrong would help alot. i have so much n i was never ever like this, my husband started secretly videoing me to firgure stuff out. just could believe what i was saying i guess....same as the drs. losing hope so bad. i cry almost every day. I twitch and jerk about 30 gtimes as i fall asleep, my neck crackles when i move it, i have numbness in my jaw by chin tightness in the jaw muscles in mouth, tingling just above ears on scalp,post nasal drip, no saliva well low saliva, n swollen lymph nodes in my neck under ear n in my chest. n all the para prblems except the thirst n urine. Hoping this allergist can firgure the reactions to meds. the other dr. was a great dr. but just didn't believe me as i had no symptoms to him n he just gets stuck on my high calcuim. so granny can they find out why i react to meds. i am so scared to get sick . i just need answers. thats It answers. i have just about bankrupt my family. but they all know that i am sick n that when they take me now they tell the drs. that its not in my head, n something is wrong we have video taped her. for god sake do something. i am so tired og the i don't knows n and this test came back negative. but will keep trying. i will keep u all updated, but if u hear nothing at least once amonth....u know my drs. failed in my time. thanks granny u r awesome on this sight. god speed on ur healing n for newbies reading don't give up n get it out.....n follow grannys and everyones advice it id good. tc n god be with u all ......

timberswife, I hope you find answers soon. Some of the para symptoms I had, some not. My main complaint was that I was so stiff, I could barely move and it was like this daily. I told people I felt like I had been on a hike or something the prior day but had actuallyl not done anything. I had problems with a knee for about he last 5 years but 2 years ago in July, I had replacement. I thougth that would make me better because I thought the pain from my knee was what was causing me all the problem. Since knee surgery, I that pain has been better but that terrible stiffness has not and it seemed to be getting worse. I used to be one to see something that needed to be fixed around the house and I just did it, painting, putting down tiles, whatever needed to be done. The last few years, I do well to run the vaccum. I still work but other than that, not much. I will get in my car to go to lunch or something and think I'll go to a store thats having a sale and then, I'll think, no, I'm tired, I'm going home. On weekends, I just want to stay home. Even a short trip to Lowes to look at flowers would make my legs hurt so bad that I could not stand it and had to go back to the car. So far, most of that stiffness has stopped since surgery. I am still off work so I am not sure how well I'll feel when I have to be up and out all day. I did not have the problems with kidney stones and things like that, just the fatigue and muscle pain and joint pain and sometimes, the memory problems. I really don't think the doctors check calcium levels all the time. I am not even sure why they checked mine but the real reason I was at my doctor was for blood pressure. I have to have that checked all the time. I had asked them to check my vit. D because I had a friend that found she had low D and had a lot of the problem that I was having. So, they did and when I returned , the doctor said the D was fine but my calcium was high. I think it was like 11.5 at that time. He explained they needed to now do a parathyrpoid hormone test to see if it was high, which they did. I don't know the numbers on that but my calcium was 12 on that test. So, I was sent to a specialist. By that time, my calcium was down to 10.5, which is normal but the specialits said I still have para, due to the other test. Calcium levels can fluc. up and down so its really no wonder the disease goes unfound so much. I've read ever site I can find and it seems para is different with everybody. After I found out what I had, I found out a relative by marriage had the same thing and she had quit work and been almost totally disabled. As I said, I have continued to work but would have days I thougth I could not stay awake. I hope you get answers soon, I for sure do know how it feels. I also kind of felt like people thought I was just lazy and really didn't have anything wrong, even my regular doctor. For many visits I kept telling him I just did not feel right. I took Celibrex and all those meds for all this stiffness but they did nothing. It was pretty much like the doctor just felt it was an age or weight or whatever thing. When I had that diagnosis, I was at least glad to tell my husband and family, see, I told you something was wrong with me.

Angelia50: Good news! So happy to hear when surgery is successful. I have heard good news about Vanderbilt. Did you have one adenoma? Are you taking calcium supplements? Please keep us posted on your post-op lab results. What was your PTH level before surgery? I ask these questions because many people come here seeking answers. There are many that can't get a diagnosis. I so understand about the pain and I am happy you are now pain free. Best of luck...txg

timberswife: Soooooo glad you are seeing a new endo this month. Ask your allergist about the liver not filtering meds when you have alot of allergies. I was told that years ago by my allergist when I had a life threatening (ER trip) to meds. Don't give up. The right Dr is out there for you. Depression is a part of this disease. Tell your Dr. Best regards, txg

Texgranny: I do not know what my PTH level was prior to surgery. I know my calcium had been 11.5, then 12.5 then 10.5, so it had been up and down. When I had the surgery, nobody told me how much it was when leaving the hospital. I do take calcium. I was told to take 1 tablet in the morning and 1 at night and if Idid feel tingling around my mouth, to immediately take two and call my doctor if it did not stop. I have had tingling in my fingers and some in my feet but its been very light tingling and has stopped when taking my meds. I am scheduled for follow up next week, so I may find out more. I have felt fine since surgery with the exception of Sunday, which would have been 5 days after surgery. For some reason, I did not feel at all well that day and had pain in my back between shoulder blades and a terrible headache in the back of my head but after sleeping that night, that has all stopped. I'm still on medical leave from work, so as far as being tired, we'll see when I return to work. I was tired but my main complaint was that terrible stiffness and I'm happy to say, so far so good on that.

Boy is it interesting reading this thread. I am 10 days post-surgery. One adenoma 3.5 cm. Calcium of 14.7 pre-surg and PTH around 330. All the usual symptoms. Felt great for a couple days, and this has been the week from hell. Taking 2 calcitrate+D 3 x day so that's 3600 a day. Sometime it takes an extra Viactin (much faster acting) to stop the tinging and dizziness). I'm finally somewhat more functional, but mornings are hard. I gained nearly 10 pounds in this 10 days and that is with no eating day of and 1 day post surgery! WTH? I even lost my vision for periods during the week because my eyes were quivering so bad. Now I am queasy, probably from the calcium. A little less shaky, but feel generally pretty awful until mid-afternoon. My follow up is tomorrow, but is this what I have to look forward to? OMG. Even my teeth quiver. Have to admit bone pain is gone, but have had a couple migraines that took me down.

mollyshark: Your levels before surgery were shocking to say the least. How long had you had these type of levels and what type of parathyroidectomy did you have? I hate to hear your recovery is not going well. I know the body has to adjust somewhat to the lower calcium levels, but the weight gain I have no idea. I am glad you are having follow up tomorrow and hope you will post again and let us know what your Dr says. Ask about B6 for dizziness and I urge you to remove caffeine and salt from the diet while you are in the recovery period. It certainly helped me. Best of luck with your recovery...txg

Molly,
Sounds like you are having a terrible time. Somebody had asked me earlier about levels now and I didn't know but I had my follow up last week and my calcium is 10 with PTH of 30. I am still feeling well. I do sometimes have tingling in my feet and hands, like going to sleep, but I can take one of the calcium tablets and that leaves. My doctor said its not that my calcium is actually low, its just that my body functioned on too much for so long, that is thinking it is low and causing those symptoms. Your levels were really high so it stands to reason you are almost having I guess withdrawal for lack of a better term. He told me to just use the calcium on an as needed basis now but I have been going ahead and taking one in the morning prior to leaving for work. I hope feel better soon. Have you had your levels checked since surgery to see if they have come down? Maybe they are acutally now too low, I've read of that happening too.

hi i'm a 24 girl i just had my operation a week ago my calcium was 11.5 my PTH 480 and i dont feel good now my feet and hands are always numb i'm always dizzy and tired my doctor said that my calcium is back to normal but she didn't say anything about my PTH should i ask ??? is that temporary or i have to live like this ??

Your calcium and PTH were really high. Your body has a lot of adjusting to do. I'm guessing that your symptoms are temporary but you should ask your doctor every question that comes to mind and ask until you are satisfied with the answers. Be sure she tells you danger signs to watch for.

Hope you are feeling better soon. Your surgery should make a big difference. mass

Wow what a day yesturday, But found a bit of info on me n now it is more scarier than thought....the new dr. did not know how i can feel the way i do as my calcium n PTH were not that bad... he said theres got to be more than this.....so he does in his office an ultrasound n low n behold he found multiple glands in my neck . He found 2 para glands I'm hoping thats all n I have 2 thyroid nodules over 1 cm n whole bunch of small ones, I am going on vacation to see my grandbabies this weekend, It has been over a year, they r 5 n 61/2 they r my life I miss not seeing them but 1 or 2 ayear, but my son in law is serving our country. So when i get back june 1st I will be having a needle biopsy of the 2 thyroid nodules. The doc said it is rare to have thyroid cancer only 4 % or about 35,000 per year. To me that is alot of people, that is the size of the town i grew up in, but since my family is rampant with getting cancers, father n sister brain, another sister ovarian n cervical n ms, n brother non hodgkin lymphoma of the small intestine, i went to check out thyroid cancer n found that swolen lymphnodes, hoarse voice, n a few other symptoms, they matched me. So now I am so scared I have no clue what to do as I have been getting more n more swollen lymphs every week, n the ones i do have r getting bigger n some r painful...or the skin is, hard to tell.... I am 47 n i still have 2 kids at home, I really don't want to fight cancer, It has taken 2 lives in my family n the other 2 life has changed n they can have it back at any time....besides i react really really bad to chemicals, ie medicines n such my brother could only with stand 2 rounds of chemo. but he is cancer free now 1 year. my other sister does not inform us much on her. what i am hoping for is that it is acid reflux which is causing post nasal drip into my lymphs. granny what caused ur multiple gland para. n any news on thyroid cancer would be appreciated as well. thanks everyone, if u beleive in prayers say one for me. and for the ones healing gods speed on feeling better.