I too had pt surgery in Tampa. s/p 4 weeks still feel too tired mentally and physically. However last week I discovered the calcium pill (Country life) was not working for me with its complex formulatiion. I switched to citrate form which can be taken with or without food and felt improvement. Also the surgical md told me to increase the calcium to 10 per day. Your grandmother may not be absorbing the calcium it has to be citrate definitely not carbonate.

Please is anyone one else having bone pain in the fingers and severe swelling. I need help but the Dr. will not listen.

Im 7 weeks out from surgery. I am finally able to reduce my calcium intake as my symptoms the tingling fingers and feet is almost gone now. I'm having issues with cardiovascular issues since I've had this disease for so many years
that was why I went to the doctor. SOB and dizzy spells, chest pressure ,pain etc. So now I am taking oral edta and it seems to be helping my cardio issues. I also take fish oil and this helps along with b vitamins. I would take a quality fish oil from the health food store to see if it helps the inflamation. It helps me.

So sorry about the Cardio problems, I did not know I had a problem until 3 months prior to my surgery found during routine blood work.
I really hope you get better and I will try the fish oil because I can not use my fingers of morning until I run hot water to loosen them up.
Thanks for your reply

So you are having cardiovascular problems too ? I started having dizzy spells and (sob) 4 months before surgery.
Not having insurance delayed getting the right diagnoses. Now more chest pains , so I decided to do the oral liquid edta chelation to clear up the blocked arteries hopefully. I like to hear what others may be doing for the same problems I know most doctors don't believe in chelation they like to put in stents etc. For your inflamation when you buy a bottle of fish oil look at the (EPA) thats what lowers inflamation. You need about 1000 mg to 3000 mgs of that number to feel best. Some bottles say 1000mg in bold print ignore that and look at the other numbers. DHA is for the brain, epa for inflamation.

I apperciate all the info you can give me. Plan to get the fish oil on friday. Good to know about the # and what they mean. So Thanks
No I do not have the cardio problems as yet hope I do not.
Really hope you get better. Again I apperciate anything someone can tell me.

Bone pain worse can someone help

Usually that goes away 1st. Are you taking any calcium supplents with D3? Did your calcium blood levels drop back to normal? It might take a while to build up your bones , if the pain persists for weeks after surgery i would want to see if my PTH level was normal making sure they removed the right p gland.

Thank you I have called for Appt. to get blood drawn. I will take all the advice I can get.

Hi everyone.  This is a long thread, but good to read for a lot of information.  I had a long ordeal with a mystery illness that ended up being a parathyroid adenoma.  I had surgery in early 2012, so it has been at year at this point.  I am saw Dr. Dev Abraham to finalize the diagnosis.  He is an endo at the U of Utah, and he only does thyroid and parthyroid.  He can sometimes see the parathyroid adenomas with high resolution ultrasound.  Then the surgeon was Dr. Jason Hunt at the Head and Neck Cancer Program at U of Utah.  He does these pretty regularly and did a good job with mine.  They both were knowledgable and good, it just was a long road before I got to them.

Before surgery, I had daily headaches, bone pain, severe fatigue, severe memory problems and cognitive dysfunction, bad depression and anxiety, extreme sleep problems...but most of all I had bad stomach pain, 24 hr nausea, and daily vomiting, being unable to eat much, if anything on some days, for 1.5 years.  It was horrible.  I was with G.I. docs all the while thinking I had a stomach problem, and we couldn't find anything stomach-wise.  It was the worst ordeal of my life.  My G.I. doc was good, it was just that I had such an emphasis on the stomach symtoms, it seemed it should be stomach!

Right after surgery, as in, that day and the next few days, it was like some miracle that for the first time in 1.5 years, I wasn't nauseated!!!!  And I felt like eating!!  NO vomiting and stomach pain gone too!  They say that some symptoms go away fast because the calcium level goes down as soon as they take the tumor out.  My bone pain and headaches improved over the next few weeks.  Over months, the cognitive/memory problems improved slowly - they are not back to normal now, but much better.  Also, some slow improvement in sleep problems, depression, and anxiety have evolved over months.  Now, a year later, I feel at a standstill.  I still have significant sleep issues and a significant level of depression and anxiety (plus physical symptoms I think from the anxiety).  The physical symtoms are very achey, fatigue, diarrhea, foggy thinking, just not myself.  I'm not sure where to go from here.  I wonder if being that sick for that long, with the high calcium, etc., messes up your neurotransmittors and maybe I need to try a low-dose antidepressant.  My calcium is normal now.  Vitamin D and iron are both low (though I am not anemic).  Any thoughts appreciated.

Oh man I'm so sorry for your problems. I feel lucky I just have severe bone pain in my fingers and legs. I want to keep in touch and see how you progress bedcause I have more blood work coming up to ck for the bone pain.

Are you feeling any better, would like to keep up with your progress.
nannie

Many thanks to all who have posted on this site_ Its so helpful to read these posts.  I am 7  weeks out from parathyroidectomy of 1 adonema. also- removal of 2 halves..  I thought at week 5  i  certainly was having  a positive recovery...but week 6 and 7 have changed my mind.  I have tingling feet that has returned and rapid pulse ( which i can feel in my stomach and feet), lethargy and mildly depressed,

At 1 week out my pth was normal but calcium was still high 10.0 (10.6 before)  My serum calcium was also high @ 5.9     I am getting my 2 month post op blood work this week..not sure what it will read.  my question is: What does it mean if calcium doesn't drop but pth does?  I was taking alot of ca tabs  and mag. per drs. orders  but tapered off (from 16 ca citrate daily for 2 weeks tapering   to 2-3 daily)  I just can't figure why the tingling has returned and low energy as well.  I'm also taking multis , b vit, fish oil and  virtually no relief.  I so desperately want to feel good, have energy and no tingling. Any advice welcome. Will post any changes.  I  feel this forum is helpful to all...even if we all experience different recoveries. 

I had Parathyroid surgery two years ago. Prior to the surgery I suffered from bone pain, chronic fatigue, headaches, achy body, weight loss etc. They removed 3 of my parathyroid glands and the surgery and recovery went well and bone pain gone. However, one week after surgery I started gaining weight rapidly. Two years later I am now 75 lbs heavier than before the surgery even with diet and exercise. I still have extreme fatigue and now have bad brain fog and can't focus on the things I used to love. I am a writer and booklover so this has been very hard on me. I have also noticed extremely low libido and don't have enough energy to lick a postage stamp. Anyone have any thoughts on this please reply. Also, what is the best calcium supplement and multivitamin to take for women over 40?

I too had tingling feet but every time that happened I took a 500 mg calcium product my dr suggested and it went away. Before surgery to much calcium caused tingling now its to little in my case. Why were they having you take so many CA supplements? Be careful all that calcium end up in your arteries and can block them causing shortness of breath and muscle weakness, my problem. I don't have insurance so I am my own guinny pig. I ended up researching EDTA in a drop form and use it regularly because when I exercise at my job I get weak and dizzy and sob, the edta helps me get past it. In fact I could not pass a stress test, so I took the full dosage of edta 6 time a day for 3 days and kicked butt on the stress test. But I am 6 months out from surgery and still having to use edta to get thru the hard phsical days at work. I also take 5 hr energy and CoQ10 from Walgreens.