Well I don't have much information about this, but I have heard of it. I'm really interested in why he didn't mentioned this after your biopsy. It would be nice if anyone who has more information on this, could explain it a little bit.
Timberswife I hope that you get better as soon as possible. How is your condition now?

Timberswife, happy to read you are going to Mayo. I wish you much success. texgranny

Well i guess the quest lives on. I am here in rochester, great place for answers.....but for me no surgery, my calcium here was only 10.3 on test day, n they are not positive i have the 4 glands as there ultrasound did not pick up four, that it was possible they were lymp nodes, they do believe i have para but not severe enough to go home n try sensipar n in 3 to 6 months come back if i do not feel better. Omg!!!! i can't take it much any more I have drs giving me different answers n different solutions, but they agree i do have para. but that there is something else going on......BUT WHAT? But in laws all feel i am nuts, even hubby talks in whispers, i can not get relief, time to just wait n hope i can handle life......I know part of this journey was from the antibiotics n the steroids......but has those really messed with the body, or is it the para,,,,,the best endo. dr in utah says theres 4 the drs here are saying maybe 4 but more like 2.......but i am not sick as my calciums are low........ty all for your concerns n all your words.....god bless e

Timberswife - I am so sorry that you are having so much trouble. I don't understand your doctors' thinking. Why does it matter whether you have two glands or four if one is causing a problem? Parathyroids don't always show up on ultrasound anyway. Yes it's easier to get to surgery if your calcium is really high but you can have an adenoma anyway. It is not in your head. I have heard your situation from numerous people.

My calcium was always in the 9's and PTH mildly elevated. My endo said no one would do surgery. I got nowhere until I contacted Dr Babak Larian. He talked with my endo then did the surgery. My adenoma was the size of the last section of his little finger. I know he's a long way from you but I would suggest that you talk with him anyway. See what suggestions he has. He is very nice. I repeat, it is not in your head - others just don't understand. You won't get better without help. Somewhere there is help for you. I'm hoping that there is an answer for you soon. mass

Timberswife, it is totally embarrassing that the medical community seems to have failed you once again. I know how you feel. I agree, what darn difference does it make if you have two or four they need to be removed. I am not surprised your calcium was lower than usual, calcium fluctuates with HPT, THEY know that or they should. What if you do have other health "issues", you still have the adenomas and they need to come out. You are not crazy, you have HPT and need a Dr to listen. There are great surgeons out there and some have been listed on here. I know it would be a great expense to travel to some, but you do have family in Ca. Are you going to take the med they suggested? I know you said you don't take meds well because of side effects so this gives you another reason to check with another Dr. I realize the Mayo Clinic is one of the best in the country, but I went to the best in the state of Texas and I didn't get a diagnosis. Family does not always understand, mine didn't either. You must be your on heathcare advocate! Keep learning about HPT, there is a wealth of information on the web. Best of luck, txg

Thanks, i have not given up just taking a breather. i have distroyed my family finacialy, this last trip took what was left n then some. i can not keep going to drs.. it looks like we might have to file, things are just mounting way to up there. Have talked with the endo dr. at mayo more in depth n the reasoning on waiting is as followes. the meds are to see if they make me feel better, if i feel better than the paras r my problem. if i do not do well on the meds. then the quest is still on going, even if it as i react to meds, will have to keep searching......during this time i have been fighting a lower bacteria vaginosis, it flared up really bad in mn. as i had 4 test that needed me to fast from 7 pm till the next morning around 9 am no food or drink that included no water one test the last one before we left i had to go till 1 pm so nedless to say i got a uti n that flared up. called my allergist told him the situtation n he wanted to give me a antibiotic nitro something but said take alot of cranberry n call me when we got home. so i did n when we hit west yellowstone i was in extreme pain n had blood. call my allergist n him n his sectretary said to try keflex but told me the other name, they called it in. well i thought man that name sound familiar. its the last antibiotic i took (keflex) it tore up my insides 2000mg a day for 10 days it gave me gastritis vagintitis n it messed up my coloin n my intestines, in fact my intestines are still sick i have ibs n divica something now n my stomach is about fixed. so called him back the next day, oh story in west yellowstone i got those pills that take the pain away for uti. it states do not take if ur sensitive to perservitives or dyes, u don't care when ur in so much pain, i took it n yes i was a jittery mess for a few days, my partial reactions to meds. they always make me jittery, like crawling out of my skin, but back to telling him i do not want to take the ksflex n did a reminder. i said test me n lets see what i can take....he told me there no test that will give him these answers it trial n error an i'm to keep a diary on my meds. so was told to try a small dose n see, well not good luck for me again, my insides burn, my stomache n my intestines n i have this numbness in feet n hands, n burning sensations in a few places n not sure if its the keflex or the B.V. i have taken urine test strip test n only shows possitive for leuckcyts no nitrates. but here i go again back to my GP.dr. as i have not had time to find a different one yet. they wanted me to try this ointment last time, asked what was the bad of it,,,,told me blister in the private place, i said no way not chancing it, but i think it has went to pelvic inflammitory disease now. so now what do i do..... The ent dr. at the mayo says i am allergic to the perservatives like you texgranny. Are there any antibiotics out there perservative free, does any one have any answers that could please help me, how do i find perservative free drugs, n a dr. that will be helping me in that quest, i hate reacting, my immune system is so high right now they put this tube in my nose for a stomache test over night n all it did was run with a ton of mucus, the nurse said my immune system is very very over active. I have been doing the yogurt n probiotics for the BV. but it helps but does not go away.....n now i have to start all over because of the keflex.....i feel terrible inside......I thank u guys for all your kind words n support. My family like in laws n sis n bros. do not want to hear about me any more.....my kids are pretty good but the rest think enough enough......I have heard thru the grape vine that even the one i thought was helping me ....feels that this is more in my head.....i don't get it... i am 48 years old never go to the dr. just when needing to n to have babies... n the needing to was only when i abosolutly needed to. and hear i get sick n sicker n sicker where i know i was dying, my body was so sick from all the drugs n antibiotic n the sedation for a endoscope my body could not function i was having tingles surges , numbness burning sensations lost 20 pounds, stomache was bleeding my head i could not hear or sleep the zantac closed my ears n my throat my ears still plug alot now, bone pain n pee alot...... so needless to say my life for a year..... n now i am crazy n its in my head me a person who hates to see drs. as i would always be sick after seeing them....now i know why...... i 'm sorry i'm rabbling n extremely upset . just thanks for everything..... do not know what is to come of me.....surgery might not even be an option as i was informed there are perservatives in calcium subliments....also sry for the spelling upsets n can not think well. but i thank thank you for being here. but i;m just going to sit back for abit, n hope they don't kill me off with a new drug. will keep you posted. but like i have said before if u don't hear from me, i did not make it thru this, just say a prayer....i hope to dear god this helps just one person my story on here........ you are not crazy when you react to medications n yes u can be very sick at time with low calcium n pth......i just do not know for sure if its one or the other or both making me feel this way. GOD BLESS YOU ALL!!!!!!!! E.

Sorry if i have scared anyone off . just was having a frustrating day n tired of the fight for life, without feeling like i need to prove myself. so keep up the good work on helping people,i am off for awhile. tc n gb e.

Don't worry about it! YOu didn't scare anyone off, it's just been a long week for some and I'm sure that others have just not had their chance to post here yet. I know you didn't scare me off and you're just venting. THat's what the forum's here for! Are you feeling better now? Please let me know.

Timberswife: I so hope you are feeling somewhat better. txg

Wellfolks life has not changed, but has gotten worse, this nightmare will never end for me. I have so many allergy problems with no answers, but if i was busy n the weather was fairly calm i had some ok days, but with winter n fall i have tons of post nasal drip, I had never had this before until i took those antibiotics n had an endoscope. the antibiotics have made me ill the endo i believe has changed my neck alignment n yes still high calcium n now uti problems monthly n trying to control naturally. garlic n cranberry pills. Also tons of personal problems.....so much that it tires the soul might have to quit my job at school as the swine flu is out in force n with my health issues its scarey....5 people have died this past week. my yougest is having alot of same allergies n post nasal...affects her to th point of tears my poor baby.....my sis just found she has pancreatic cancer n oldest daughter is being check the next day for the same thing. more cancer in the family. I have had my bank account frozen i can not get my check, hubby has to go.....trying to get healthy but sliding further down. had the head charges this morning n gave me a anixiety attack......have only been to 1 dr. more lower meds. since home from mayo.....i have plugged ears that when i sleep get worse n so when i wake up i get this weird electic sensation in my head.....it feels like a stroke n my fingers get numb n then i get a hot flash or profuss sweatingn wake up with this sensation it is so scary......if any one has any ideas please please......i have swollen glands below my ears which puts more pressure on neck n nerves i have thee knotsin my neck. n any drs i can call with answers i am so discouraged n all the family personal issues are tough. please help i know i am a wet towel but i can not get help i have tried n now the nightmare is getting worse.....i am one of the people that falls thru the cracks i think. thanksn any help please n god bless.........E.

I had a parathyroidectomy 3 years ago in Pensacola Florida by Dr. Lachlan Noyes. I was in incredible shape prior to the surgery and felt great. After the surgery I don't have a fraction of the energy that I used to have, I have trouble concentrating, and I have tingling and numbness sensations in my extremities. I have also gained 30 pounds since surgery. While before the surgery I was very successful in my very high pressure career, I have now been unable to keep a job and struggle to support my family.

Prior to the surgery, I had one kidney stone and the next thing I knew I was being operated on due to primary hyperparathyroidism. My calcium levels and pth levels were high, so the idea was to lower these levels by removing a parathyroid gland. Post surgery I have felt terrible since the day of the operation, which was three years ago. However, my pth and calcium levels are now "normal". Dr. Lachlan Noyes was quick to declare that the miracles of medicine carried out through his skillful hand has "cured" me and that now I can finally live a "normal" life.

At the end of the day I don't care what blood tests indicate, all that I care about is how I feel. I have felt terrible since the day of surgery. This is despite the fact that all of my blood tests have come back "normal". What I conclude from this is that "normal" is relative to the person. Could it be that my "high" calcium and pth levels were "normal" for me? My advice to anyone considering a parathyroidectomy is to not give in to the pressure. My endocrinologist and surgeon both highly recommended the procedure. There is not a day that goes by that I don't regret the decision to have a parathyroidectomy.

So sorry, but it sounds like you might be abit low than normal, I hope you have told your dr., Well for me its been a roller coaster for me, life just keeps getting better.....I am in the midst of a divorce after 32 years together, which is not so bad really, he doesn't think i am sick so oh well, he thinks i am a cheater n a lesbian.....another way long story of his twisted mind n his infidelities.....me i still have high calcium n now trying to move forward just getting to bottom of health problems i think but a year of hubby has put things on hold n now have to find ins. if possible, went to a dr here that is a medical dr that does natural n western medicine if needed.....she says it sounds like i have also metabolic issues as everything i take my body puts up a fuss......i am healing from a toxic state from 2 years ago....n u know right now i feel pretty good.....except for abit of bone pain n not sleeping well, also being a bit dehydrated all the time, i have extreme seasonal allergies as well now, which never had before my immune system was wiped out.......but all in all not bad....brother dr. has stated we siblings need to get genetic testing done, we have way to many family health problems.....cancer is rampant.....dad n 1 sis dead from brain cancer, brother non=hodgkins lymphoma, sis2 ovarian cancer, ms, now liver cancer, bro.2 is having blood clots issues really bad grandma died from this, family diabetes, heart problems, high cholestrial. everyone of siblings gall bladder is gone but mine......high blood pressure, n alot of issues with medicines for most of them, not as severe as mine tho.......can take things for about 3 days then having reactions.....next time have extreme reactions.......wish i knew where to do n do......went to mayo not on allergies but the parathyroid n i am not sick enough, n wanted me on sensipar.....dr. normans web site sates worse thing to do.......no trust in medical field any more.....oh doubt if i can have the surgery, have low vit...d took pills had a reaction.....of extreme thick mucus in head glands n had foggy head n what i call brain zaps as it feels like a zap of energy going thru your head.....i tried to take them off n on as allergists say i need them n to force body to accept it......even extreme low doses didn't work.....so on nothing but cranberry pills, n as long as i don't get sick i feel like life is doable, now i have no choice as i have 2 kids to finish raising n hubby is on the smear game n i want it all n i am not paying for nothing......if anyone has any news or resources for me to look into i would appreciate it......thanks n god bless n tc

This coming Monday will be 3 weeks since I had my surgery.  I'm having the exact same problem as you.  I went to see my surgeon and he explained that it's normal to have this bump (the size of a gulf ball) on my neck.  He said to give it a few weeks and it will go away.  He explained that he had to cut three inches because my sestamibi scan did not show the adenoma.  I had exploratory surgery and I have to be patient and give it time to heal.:-D

I am 24 years old and had a parathyroidectomy a little over 3 mo. ago. I began feeling better about 1 month after the surgery. Lasted about one month, then all of the sudden the fatigue, skin issues, memory troubles, sleeping problems etc. all came back with a vengence. I just saw my endocrinologist today and he seemed very concerned about all my symptoms. He is doing 12 blood tests. Among those he is checking my thyroid. He also asked me if I had a family history of Lupus and rheumatoid arthritis (I do not) so I am assuming he is checking for these issues as well. Obviously, I don't have the results back yet, but if these possible issues he mentioned could be it---thought it may help you all to have some possible causes of problems. I just want to feel better again...I feel like I am too young to be exhausted all the time.

i had surgery 5 days ago had to have double surgery same day due to hemotoma I now have semi large lumps behind incision. Does not obstruct anything but feels very uncommfortable. Doctor says for sure it will go away. It has not reduced even a little bit. I also worry this will never go away. it is very hard and Dr. says it is not a hemotoma this time