Hello texgranny...The Calcium level sometimes takes a bit of time to regulate. It is my understanding that they watch it for 5 years after the Parathyroid Surgery and would be concerned if it persisted at the higher levels for that entire time.

You have not stated your age, but, data that I've read states that people over 55 years of age have problems when their Calcium Levels are at a somewhat lower range (9.3 and above)...sort of an exaggerated response and symptoms that usually do not occur at a lower level in most people, but, in people over 55 they can have the same symptoms at levels as low as 9.3 which would not occur in younger people unless the calcium level was above 10.3. Also, I've read that the Ionized Calcium is a much more accurate test for true Calcium Levels.

I just found an article about post parathyroidectomy Hypercalcemia in an adolecent. The article states that Hypercalcemia after Parathyroidectomy usually does not occur in adolecents, but instead, usually happens in adults. I've not read the entire thing, it it quite long, but it looks as though it may contain information useful to you regarding elevated calcium levels. <http://www.clinchem.org/cgi/reprint/52/12/2286.pdf>

This is also quite a great discussion of Parathyroid Adenoma's and Parathyroid Surgery. It is a blog by a Dr. in Cleveland, Ohio and is presented differently than usual articles about the subject. <http://ohiosurgery.blogspot.com/2009/05/baudrillard-and-hyperrealism-of.html>

I will look around for more data on this and let you know what I find in another post.

I'm glad that you have contacted the MD Anderson Center. They will be probably be about the most qualified resource for you...they are among the top leaders in their field...not just in Texas, but in the United States.

Take Care......"D"

timberswife wrote:

i would like to check out mayo in mn family in north dakota. will at least talk with a few places maybe here will be ok.....ok enough self doubt. take care n thanks amillion e.

I don't have any parathyroid problems or anything like that but I wanted to say something about this. I think that it's good that you're keeping a good attitude and not doubting yourself. Does anyone here actually get any counseling or therapy in addition to getting medical treatment? I'm asking because I'd think with something like this that you'd want to try to keep your sanity together too. What do you think?

healthfitnessguy: Hmmmmmmmmmmmm your post was interesting. Thanks for being a supporter. Yes, this disease can make you doubt yourself as many have posted here and on other sites. Just my experience, almost all Drs want to put you on meds instead of getting to root of the problem. You have to be your own healthcare advocate and find your answers. I guess I am hard "headed" enough not to give up. I knew I wasn't crazy and there had to be help out there for me. My journey was long, but I found a experienced, well trained surgeon that gave me the option of surgery. Could I have benefited from therapy, I'm sure, but was never given that option. Probably need it now.lol..as I am still bitter about so many years being wasted on gettiing a diagnosis. I know TMI. txg

OK bad bad day just found out my insurance will not cover my surgeon at the cancer institute.... If i had got the more bigger package of ins. they would.....which i believe is over 300.00 amonth....that is more than half of one of hubbys check.....good god....i will not have any one else do it...in this state.....i guess his ins. changed alot this last year n i was so sick i did not check when the enroll ment came around n just firgured they would go with what was close to what we were getting......wrongo.....also had an er trip tuesday night....numbness n chest n muscles in lower neck were tight like a lizard would look like..... calcium had droppede to 10.1 lowest for me since this began...mainly around 10.9 or 11.but they did a ct of neck n found i have had alot of trama to my neck......i could have told them that.....my mom says my head was my accident prone area my nick name was grace or agnes....so allthe calcium lost n my tramas i have degeneration of my lower back n of my upper spine head n neck area n to top it off i have the curvey middle.....i was hoping to have the surgery as the acid reflux is gerd now n i'm back to not eating as when i had the attack my stomach was on fire n think that inflammed the throat neck as well an since i came home yesturday molrning all i had was a bowl of cheerios n off to work.....came home n by 5pm hit the hay nothing to eat or drink.....i woke up feeling pretty good no sore stomach or funny chest stuff....just muscle vibrating...which i have alot mainly down left side.....well any ways if anyones got ideas or a second ins. a good one i might purchase that covers that hospital so i can get the operation. thanks for all u guys do this is the best site...god bless u all. e

texgranny wrote:

I'm really glad to hear that you at least DID get help for your problem especially if doctors were ignoring you so much and just trying to put you on pills. I don't think it was TMI! :) I think it's sad we don't think much about mental health. How long did you actually search for a doctor before you found one who helped you? I mean, how many years?

healthfitnessguy: I probably had the disease 10 years or more. The first time I was informed I had high calcium was when I changed Drs. He was very concerned and ordered a intact PTH lab and of course it was normal. Next visit calcium was in the "normal" range so no follow up test. The calcium fluctuates with primary hyperparathyroidism. I didn't know this then, guess my pcp didn't either. Long story short, this went on for 6 years, visits to major medical centers, two bone fractures, yadda, yadda. I became sicker and more depressed everyday.Spent lots of $$$$$$$$. I decided I had listened to all the Drs and now I was going to do what I wanted even though I wasn't sure I had the disease. I was so beaten down and had lost trust in the medical community. So I put my trust in someone that earned it by listening to me and I listened to my inner self. I had surgery, not a textbook case, in the 2% of his patients. I only wish I had found him earlier. To all of those searching for answers, don't give up. Stay positive and I truly know how hard that is. Knowledge is power, learn all you can about HPTH. Best regards, txg

the exact same story for me texgranny, it was like pulling teeth n getting drs to listen.they really need to slow down n take the course over again on the listening to the patient. my dr was a lost cause for me . that is the sad truth n she is a older dr that believes in acupuncture and proforms it as well. but she has forgotten to listen n is so stuck with the pharamcitical companys the freebee she has n the drugs she perscribe r the way expensive n the most problem drugs for people.....i believe its probably kick backs she gets, not sure but a good guess. she does not listen to my families allergies to medicine. any how i too have the 4 tumors n have the normal range of pth so dr. after dr. were just passing me by. all but one, which has changed my life, n hopefully it will be for the better. i did talk to ins. n nope no way can i have it here, but yes i can at the mayo or in ca. any where i can go as long as it is a in network place. so different states don't matter. wohooooo. so the hope is up. but yeah i kept seeing dr after dr. because i refused to be labled that it was anxiety or stress if that was the case it would have happened years ago. yes i am stressed but only because of the long road n the chaos to get this far, n distorying my family finacialy, but i'm seeing a bit of a rainbow forming, maybe there will be a pot of gold. i ty all so very very much, u have been a huge part of me surviving this, as having the same story so to speak. i wish n pray u all have the best of healthn if so to stay that way. n thanks for any prayers anyone has said for me, they mean alot n i think they might be working. amen e

Timberwife: Just a suggestion, if you haven't checked this Dr out, please do. Dr Michael W Yeh, UCLA Med Center, LA, CA. Endocrine surgeon. Look at his credentials on his site. I have no connection to him, but have read positive things about him. He might be in your network. Also Dr Larian. There has to be a Dr within your network somewhere that will help you. I had to go out of town, but my surgeon was in my network. When we have been the "cash" cow for so many Drs it gets to be frustrating. hang in there, better days ahead. stay in touch...txg

timberswife it sounds like things are really looking up for you! I just thought that you might like to know that if you need cheap airplane fare that you can google for kayak and it's a website that has cheap airlines tickets there. Do you live far from the Mayo Clinic?

Timberswife: I have not seen you post in a while. How are things coming finding a Dr in your network? I hope your health is somewhat better. Please stay in touch. txg

oh so sorry txgranny, i went and saw my daughter n grand babies again. i normally see them once a year, but had set up to see them again as hubby had another vacation. n i thought i was having surgery in 3 weeks. no i haven't found a dr. yet but definitly looking into the mayo for surgery. dr. larian babak is not in my network, he is in ca. but i have talked with him, a few months back. looking at ucla, i was 1 block away from it last week as hubby n i went to la to see the cemetery where alot stars are buried, when we were there was when micheal jackson was brought it, it was a crazy scene, and i did not like where the hospital was n downtown la is crazy. my roots are nd, calmer life so i feel more comfortable going to mayo, but will research both places, i have 3 weeks off from my job as school ios getting out here so will have soom time to do this all. ty for ur concern n checking in on me, i really do appreciate it, my family don't think much about doing that, they think that theres nothing wrong with me really but a few pinched nerves n slightly elevated calcium, the rest is in , my head, my children tho are great, so i will chug along, i also got a very supporting sister in law, she helps me alot more then she would ever know, i have stayed away from my family back home just to make things calmer, for me, but the ones that i love are always in my heart n in my mind. so thanks again will keep u informed. best of health n god bless. e

HELLO EVERYONE, JUST AN UPDATE, I HAVE AN APPOINTMENT AT THE MAYO ON 29TH OF JULY, HOPEFULLY I WILL BE DONE FEELING LIKE c**p. I WILL KEEP U UPDATED, INFACT THERE A POSSIBLITY OF A SOONER VISIT, I SEE KNOW ONE IS TALKING ANY MORE, SAD AS I ENJOYED THE PROGRESS N YES THE RELAPSES AS THEY WILL HELP ME WHEN ITS MY TURN. PLEASE KEEP THIS SITE UPDATED, YOU ARE HELPING ALOT OF PEOPLE OUT THERE. THANKS EVERYONE. TXGRANNY,MASS,WAS2TIRED WHERE R U PLEASE LET ME KNOW HOW U R DOING. GOD BLESS N BETTER HEALTH. E

Timberswife, I'm glad you are going to Mayo. I know other people have had successful surgery there. I hope you get to go as soon as possible. It is so hard to wait when you feel bad. Is your date for surgery or a consultation? I know they have good surgeons there, just be sure that you feel really comfortable with yours. Ask lots of questions and be sure you get answers.

I have been on vacation for a couple of of weeks and am just getting back into things. It's been almost six months since my surgery and so far as I know, everything is fine. It will be time for lab work about the end of the month then I'll know for sure.

I wish you the best. mass

Hi everybody,
Does anybody know a little more about Alcohol Ablation. I know that Mayo has this treatment and that they are the only once who are performing this kind of treatment. I know that this treatment does not require surgery and that it is very effective for tumors that cannot be treated with radioactive iodine.
If someone can give some more info it would be nice.

I have heard of this as well. the dr. that did my neck scan does it here in utah, his name is dr, dev abraham. he did mentioned it to me, but didn't say anything after he found the 4 parathyroid tumors. so not sure about it. Is it for thyroid or parathyroid or maybe both. I am curious as well, any news out there. side effects and does it really work, having this done n it could take out 3 glands or 1 n cure people without cutting, that would be awesome. He did a thyroid biopsy which was negative. so maybe thats why he never said any more. Any ways good question. hopefully some one can answer. G/B n good health. e