I had surgery 2 months ago today the bone pain is terrible, did not have this before. I'm 73 wish I had not have had the surgery. I see my Dr. On the 12 Dec 2012 she what she says

I am another who had a parathyroid removed and don't feel the same since.  It's been 4 weeks since my surgery.  They also found a nodule on my thyroid, which they removed.  My surgery caused thyroiditis, a hyperthyroid, and I was put on beta blockers.  I am unable to sleep through the night, have extreme anxiety, trembling, loose bowels (sorry)....  but before surgery I felt fine without any of these symptoms.  Aghhhhh!!!  The beta blockers help for sure, but the surgeon says, "You can't stay on them forever."  I know that when I don't take them I have all these symptoms and find it hard to function.  Has anyone else experienced the hyperthryoidism after parathyroid surgery?  If so, how long did it last?  I have only one week left of beta blockers (and that's because I'm taking half the dose to spread them out), and know I won't be prescribed anymore.  

Thanks for any help/advice!

-Sally

Not excatly what you are saying, I just know I felt fine before they found the enlarged para thyroid and elevated calcium this was found during routine blood work. My bone pain is so bad it keeps me awake at night and I have no grip in my left hand ( mystery) my surgery was 2 months ago, I have a follow up appt. 12-12-2012, I'm calling Monday to see if I can get in Getting where I have trouble getting up and down I was very active until this surgery. Very disapointed. I would not recommend surgery to anyone unless improvement comes quick. I would like to know from some other how long it has taken them to recover.

I have been a kidney stone former for over 20 + years. Fortunately up until May of this year I avoided having kidney surgery. A month ago I had a flare up yet again to only find out that I have two dime size stones in one kidney and another stone in the kidney that had surgery in May to remove a stone that was untreatable with lithotripy. Long story short...in less than 3 weeks I have started forming more stones. My doctor looked at blood work from 3 weeks ago and said Calcium was off the charts etc.. he suggested it may be parathyroid problem. Get blood results back tomorrow. I have all the signs (with the exception of bone pain) of parathyroid problems. From what I've read on this thread, surgery only made things worse! What are the alternatives to the surgery...and if there are not any I sure don't want additional problems on top of the kidney stones!

I did not have bone pain before the Para Thyroid surgery they keep telling me that the calicum and hormones need to get re-circulated in my body. I hope my appointment on 12-12-2012 will get me better answers. I wish you the best. I had my surgery in Dallas, Texas since that is where I live. Have they done the 24 hour urine and the scan on the Thyroid, I had all the possible test before I gave into surgery. I will give report after my visit.

If anyone has updated news on surgery please respond, I saw my Dr. yesterday and she was not intrested in my bone pain more or less just rushed me out of her office.
Is anyone else out there having bone pain and swelling of hands.

It's now been 7 weeks since my surgery...   I am finally starting to feel better.  A bit more sane. :)  I went to an endocrinologist and he explained that my thyroid started off as hyper after surgery, and then went to the other extreme - hypo.  He said it will continue bouncing back and forth as it levels off.  I feel as though it's hyper again, but not as severe.  He also said to give it a month or two before the "wonkiness" subsides.  I also pop calcium (Tums) when I feel out of sorts.  I am off all medication except calcium and am doing much better!  Whew!  I still have some insomnia and anxiety, but it is lowering.   I know I am progressing and am trying to be patient.  Parathyroid surgery is not fun, it was one of the hardest things I've experienced, but I truly believe I am a healthier person for it.  Too bad it sucks so much getting past the after effects.  Good luck to all people experiencing it!   

Nannie-
I have not had any bone pain or swelling in my hands. I've had vertigo and fainted once, which has never happened, but they said it had nothing to do with surgery. Can you up your calcium on your own? My endo doc said to take my Citrical as ordered by the surgeon, but take a Tums whenever I feel tingling. He said I can't take too much...
-Sally

Sally,
I hope you get to feeling better also. When I ask my Endocrinologist about level she told me not to take any. I started taking B-12, and Vit-C on my own to see if I can feel better. I feel sure in time we will all feel better. Working thru this has been a struggle I had not expected.
Thanks for responding to me.
nannie

Its been 5 days since surgery for me. I immediately felt less bone pain. I am now experiencing the slight swelling just above the tape about an inch around. Also for the first time today I felt the anxiety problems you mentioned and can not relax. I decided to add magnesium to my diet and this helped a little still experimenting. I ate some cake and the anxiety got worse, go figure maybe the sugar or flour triggers this since I have some gluten allergies, or the thyroid is temp out of wack.

You will go thru many different body changes. I had mine Sept.18,2012 and still working thru alot of changes but it does get better. I'm still having bone pain but it is getting better. It is my body temp that I'm having hot one minute freezing the next. Have not had anxiety that part I'm doing much better with. Good Luck keep us posted.

I have had kidney stones for yrs too and found my calcium levels were high. I had the surgery and feel it was worth it
if no other reason to stop my kidneys from failing eventually, which happens to many who ignore the high calcium caused by a parathyroid gland. One thing I did rather than doctors for the stones, was I drank water with 2 tlbs of
ACV apple cider vinegar everyday, drank lots of water. This turns my stones to sand and easier to pass. I also took some drops called stone blaster from the health food store and I passed more small stones sand etc. Find a good doctor that does MIRP and get the surgery if they say too.

Hi there,
I just had a parathyroidectomy not quite two weeks ago and am having the same exact symptoms. I have been unable to get a response from my surgeon. They did not find any adenomas so they stitched me back up after a 3.5 hour exploration. My incision is about 8 inches. This is my second surgery on this and I am told that I will need a third.
I see your post was 4 years ago. Has the lump gone away? Did the doc tell you what it might be?

What were your blood calcium lebvels and PTH ? Mine was a tough one too , but I went to an experienced surgeon in mirp. He found it on the scan it was barely larger than normal but he called it and was right. You should run from any doctor that wants to cut you open to explore. Thats what the drs here wanted to do and I said no way sent my blood tests by fax to a specialist in atlanta. He said I had a mild case but it seemed to me to be a miserable problem for many years. YHou might want to send your blood test to a specialists to see what they say.

My Parathyroid surgery was just two weeks ago and I am also noticing drastic weight gain. Prior to the surgery my calcium was steadily getting higher to the point that I lost a lot of weight. Maybe my body is trying to make up for that.
I am not sure how else the 2 could be related .