I have horrifically short and nearly invisible eyelashes. After trying falsies once, I am now interested in something a little more permanent and have been reading about eyelash extensions. They sound awesome!

Would anyone else like to discuss this perhaps? Of course first of all if you have them or have had them, please share your experience with eyelash extensions! And if you are just thinking about it like me, perhaps we could talk about it?

How long does it take to place them, how long do they really last, how do you care for them, is getting them uncomfortable, how to choose where to get them? Whatever you want to mention regarding eyelash extensions please put it here.

There's different kinds: synthetic, silk, and mink. Mink is the best and also the most expensive. Actual lash length and shape varies according to your personal wishes, and getting a full set put in place will have you spend about two or three hours at the salon initially. After that, you need to return every two, three weeks to get touch ups if you want to maintain your lash extensions. They do require constant attention and you need to be careful not to damage them by being careful not to rub your eyes and the like. You need to go to a very reputable salon because rogue "beauticians" who do not really know what they are doing do exist out there. So check that they're licensed, have excellent reviews, if possible speak to other customers, and so on.

yeah, me!!! I have had falsies done a few times and though they looked awesome they did hurt a bit, especially towards the end when coming off. I don't know if eyelash extensions are similar or whether that can be avoided because they last longer and basically go with the natural hair growth cycle, don't they? Since my natural eyelashes are short and lighter than the rest of my hair I'm a slave to mascara, LOL. Benefit They're Real is a really good mascara that comes as close as possible to giving the impression of falsies/longer natural lashes but still, it would be nice to have that not come off at night, you know? If anyone here gets it done please tell us all about it!!!

I had them done once, and the main thing eyelash extension virgins need to know about them that seems totally unexpected is that your tech will tape your eyes shut when you are getting the extensions applied. Which, by the way, takes a long time, people! Mine took an hour and a half and felt like it took much longer. As for having them, they do look genuinely awesome. You have to be very careful with makeup removal and the like when you have eyelash extensions though, and I got so fed up with all that that I decided that once was enough. False eyelashes are good enough for me. A few days, not a few weeks.

I'm quite interested. I love makeup occasionally and do wear your basic makeup every day, but really love the thought of waking up more presentable very much. So in that respect, both eyebrow extensions and eyelash extensions are very appealing to me. I know they can look very, very natural. The bit that concerns me is that they actually aren't natural and as such require much more care and caution than your normal naked self does, if that makes any sense. I have had gel nails before, for years in fact, and now no longer do. My natural nails have strengthen over time in part I'm sure due to nail vitamins, and I do appreciate that I don't suddenly look very unfinished when a nail breaks off, as they sometimes do. You're at the mercy of your salon with eyelash extensions as much as you are with nail extensions, I'd imagine. Lose more than a few hairs, and you'll look visibly "damaged". So that is what is holding me back.

I love the way eyelash extensions look as well and I can imagine that I will get them done on a special occasion.

I am getting married in a few years (once we've paid off our debts, LOL) and that would be the time, for sure, but also perhaps other occasions I can't think of now would be good for eyelash extensions.

Because I read that you do have to be careful, such as taking your eye makeup off only with specific wipes and not applying mascara, and sleeping on your back, oh, and also not rubbing your eyes as well, to be honest I do not want to live as a slave to the eyelashes all day every day! :)

For special occasions though, yes, that look great.

Eyelash extensions can be great, but are not without risks. If you are interested in eyelash extensions your most important job is to find a qualified esthetician to do the job for you, at a licensed spa that maintains meticulous professional standards and hygiene. The ingredients used in the adhesive should be made available to you. Some people are allergic to certain adhesives. A spot test is recommended.

Anyone offering you eyelash extensions for a small fee (they should really cost at least $150 but can also go much higher) is not going to be the person you want to do this for you. Good quality ingredients cost money, and having your lashes applied by an experienced expert will obviously cost more than having it done by a clown.

Even done right, eyelash extensions are not going to be as safe as your natural lashes.

Celebrity

Oh, eyelash extensions look gorgeous! If I weren't worried about the chemicals they use in the glue and irritating my already rather sensitive skin more, I'd possibly consider them too. Unfortunately, I've read articles about people having their eyelids glued closed, winding up with rather scary infections, and even the extensions somehow becoming embedded in the tissue of the eye itself. Call me a coward, but I'm just not willing to risk that.

To anyone who is: research, research, research and research your provider and then some more. Only ever let the most highly trained and experienced practitioner near your eyes. Your eyes! Unlike eyelashes, those don't regrow if something goes wrong!

Rosie

Scaremongering much?

I have had eyelash extensions for a long time now and get them done by a qualified esthetician who is very good at what she does. My eyelashes not only look awesome, but also I have not gone blind or had my eyes glued together! That is a matter of total ignorance of the person applying them. Of course you are not recommended to do your eyelashes at home by yourself or by a friend who thinks they can dabble in eyelash extensions while doing an at home phenol peel at the same time! If you choose wisely the risks are very minimal.

Same as with anything.

Whoah, that was a bit harsh, but yeah, I do agree with the basic idea that qualified providers of any service, including eyelash extensions, are going to eliminate the risks a total newbie brings into the deal, you know? Their reputation rides on it too, and their living! Wonder how many people went blind or had their eyelids shut and had to go to A&E. I bet not many. Half the time these scare stories might not even be true. Or these people didn't bother to do their research and chose cheap over a good salon. But Rosie means well and has tons of interesting stuff to say so please be nice to her. :)