I first noticed a small scaly area on my scalp shortly after I got pregnant. I didn't think much of it. Then after delivering my daughter the area started to get worse and spread. I went to a derm and they said it was seborrhea. I was still nursing so there wasn't much I could do except use all the shampoos available to try and control it, none of which worked. They did give me a script for betamethosone (sp?) but I have used steroid products before because of atopic derm and the condition would always just come back plus I was starting to have some effects from long term use.

So after internet searching I started trying some "natural cures" or treatments. I have done ACV, ACV with lemon juice, jojoba oil, supplements such as zinc and flax oil and probiotics, took some "aggravating" foods out of my diet like sugar and dairy and most of this had little or no effect.

Then one day I saw a tea tree oil shampoo and wanted to try it since tea tree is supposed to have healing and anti-fungal properties and I heard that seb could be caused by a certain kind of yeast. Plus they say their shampoos and lotions don't have any SLS or parabens which can supposedly aggravate seb. This stuff is just as expensive as most seb shampoos available like ketoconozole (sp?) or the salicylic shampoos so I was hesitant to throw more money down the toilet but I tried it and it did have some effect. The scaly areas started getting smaller and thinned out. Then one day a store had some of this stuff on clearance so I bought a variety of items.

One of them was a Aloe vera lotion and one day getting ready I decided to try it on my face. I also have seb around my eyebrows and eyelashes. The aloe vera lotion almost immediately started keeping the seb on my face under control. Well I found out this same company has a aloe vera shampoo and conditioner and I just broke down and bought it this week. I have only used it once so far but I can tell you there is a difference already. I usually have thick scales behind my temples in front of my ears and they are not there! You can see the redness on my scalp where the scales are usually at but I am guessing they will start going away with continued use. I also usually still have some thick scaling at the back of my head which I can still feel but it is smaller and much thinner. I didn't post a company name of the product because I'm not sure if that's allowed but if someone tells me it's okay to do so I will comeback and check and tell the name of the product otherwise if you're interested you can email me for the name of it. Also I wanted to let everyone know this because I don't have insurance anymore and I cannot afford doctors visits and a lot of the scripts they have for this condition. I will re-post after a week or so to let everyone know for sure how this is working out for me.

P.S. I am wearing my hair down today for the first time in almost 18 months!

i've had that for a long time....it comes in goes...normally when im stress it seems to flair up and when there is moisture.

What works the best for me is Head and Shoulders Intensive Treatment Shampoo...its in the blue bottle.

Thats the only thing I really use and need...but when i dont use it in about a week....I had the scales all around my hair line!!

Its work a shot!!!

p.s. i also tried those expensive shampoos...but they dont work as well for me!!! and head and shoulders is only about $5 a bottle

Did any of you experience hair loss or hair thinning of some kind? Was it temporary if you haf any at all? I am asking because i also suffer from seborrhea , i dont think i have hairloss but i keep reading that seb. serm can cause hairloss. some doctors say that it doesnt cause hairloss some say it does and some say it might cause. I am kinda lost and i am scared the same might happen to me

Hi, I have a bad case of seb... and would love to know the name of the product that helped you. I am almost sure that the company wouldn't mind you posting the name of the product as it is free publicity for them. Thanks for your help.

HI there, did OP ever get back to you with the name of the product? If not, what was the point of her post in the first place if she won't share what worked for her.... ugh, so frustrating. Please let me know, for I too suffer with Seb. Thank you in advance

The standard prescription for Seb-Derm is Ratio-Ectosone Scalp 0.1% lotion, generically Betamethosone 17-Valerate. But you might get the same effect without the nasty side-effects from scrubbing your affected skin with Epsom Salt after a shower. In my case this works for as long as the skin-friendly Epsom Salt permeates the skin. I use alcohol for the scalp, which however keeps dandruff to a minimum only a day or so.