sorry not trying to sound like a weirdo, just trying to help out. I actually did this same thing and of course I don't remember doing it as an infant, my parents said that i did even that young, but I do remember doing it all through my childhood. its an almost embarassing topic, because I always got in trouble if my mom or dad walked in on me doing it, they were embarrassed I guess and always told me that it was a bad thing and I shouldn't do that. and when I was really young and didn't know any better I would do it in the sight of other people. it was a sexual stimulation and I also got very frustrated and mad if someone tried to stop me before I was "done". I was never sexually abused or anything at all, the doctor told my mom that it was just normal for some babies and children to do that. still to this day, of course only in my own privacy, it is the only way for me to orgasm sorry if that is too much info. but I do remember as a very young child it was orgasm as well. I have no idea why but I guess some babies and children do that. at least now I know I wasn't the only one

If you're going to question scientific accuracy or validity of a study or studies, then do so by invoking scientific standards, not legal and social ones. The following is a quote on criticism of Kinsey from Janssen, D. F. (Oct., 2002). Growing Up Sexually. Volume II: The Sexual Curriculum: The Manufacture and Performance of Pre-Adult Sexualities. Interim Report. Amsterdam, The Netherlands.

Reisman and Eichel, 1990; Reisman, 1998)[36] have interpreted these "observations" as portraying sadistic abuse of the "observer", trained personally by Kinsey. Among a row of objections to the academic value and ethical standards of the research, Reisman, "in a personal Odyssey", doubted the interpretations from these individuals. Kinsey and associates, however, were quoted on infant orgasm throughout decades without raising much ethical questioning (e.g., Ford and Beach, 1951:p179; Von Stockert, 1956; Lutz, 1957:p4-9; Eglinton, 1964:p15, 143; Broderick, 1970; Rutter, 1971:p261; Frölingsdorf, 1976:p28, cited by Thomasky, 1978:p27; Martinson, 1977; 1980; Katchadourian et al., 1979; Grassel & Bach, 1979:p106-7; Kolodny et al., 1979; Katchadourian and Lunde, 1980; Morrison et al., 1980:p15-6; Brongersma, 1987:p69-70; Serbin and Sprafkin, 1987:p170; Rathus et al., 1993:p381; Wyatt et al., 1993:p18; Cohen-Kettenis et al., 1995; Offer and Simon, 1976; Bancroft, 1989; Frayser, 1994:p187-8; Gijs, 2001:p226-7; Mah et al., 2001:p831; etc.).

Gagnon (1977:p84) pleads for caution in a footnote; however, "[…] the observations should not be ruled out simply because they emerged from illegal or stressful situations". In fact, and not surprisingly, Kinsey and associates are the most quoted authors on the matter.

Its a shame the child was mutilated to force her to conform to someone elses idea of normal .

Wawoh! very informative thread. I am begining to question if I am normal. First of all I dont quite remember things in my life earlier than about three years. I dont remember ever stumilated myself. I never masturbated until I was 18 years of age. I used to have wet dreams though from about 14 years and i remember the very first wet dream I was having sex with my neighbor daughter. I then started having wet dreams almost at will during my daytime naps. Yes at will because sometimes I would be half asleep and thinking about a wetderam and as soon as I dosed off I go! But I never stumulated myself in my wake moments. Now at 30 years I started failing to maintain my elections. Now at 44 years I can hardly maintain an election to have sex unless I penetrate as soon as I get one. But I can when alone I rarely fail to masturbate due to a soft penis.

Surgery on one's genitals illegal in the US? You, (and everybody who's made/makes similar posts), are SERIOUSLY narrow minded & jumping to conclusions to automatically ASSume whatever was done must have been mutilation/butchery etc. You have no facts on situation, other than a little girl had an operation.

wo. why should it be don in private? because u fear shame? u can look at dogs for example. little amount of people disturbe them in actual copulation. On the other hand most people doesnt add more then dogs to scientific or technological advance anyway. whats the concern?

This guy is an as****e, and what's worse, an as****e with motivation, to sell his silly book.

But I remeber doing this but I also remember the thoughts in my mind while doing it... I never knew how I learned to do it then I would think the worst thought while doing it.. I was like 4 and saying pretend it hurts it really hurts and I would think all these horroble thoughts idk why im 18 now and pain doesnt turn me on... Is that normal? I also can only orgasm by rubbing up agaisnt something even my bf cant make me.lol

I have a friend she's 14 years old now she told me she's been rubbing her vagina since she was like 8 or 6 she was so young she does it wearing clothes not naked and she is still doing it till now when she feels itchy in that area, I'm really worried about her can someone help in this matter?

We treated it very much like toilet training in that when our daughter started grinding we would gently tell her that what she was doing was a bedroom thing and take her there to finish. Yes for a while she was in her bedroom a lot of the time masturbating but it became more centred around bedtime as she grew and her days were more filled with social activities at nursery etc. She didn't stop and we have no wish for her to do so at any time (she is now 16 and its 14 years since things began). After all its not only harmless and fun but has proven benefits and no it does not lead to promiscuity!

Thank you for your post ,you have answered all the ? i needed answered,,i have a 2 year old that humps her blankey two if not three times a day,,i was starting to worry abut what she was doing and wondering why she was doing it .thank you thank you

I KNOW!!!!!! between the ages of 3 (I should think) and about 10 when my period started I used to play around with myself (Currently 18. Never had sex or masturbated). I didn't realize that I did it to make me sleep until one time during nap time in school I saw my teacher get quite mad at me for doing so. (Ok that's when I knew what I was doing was bad. My mum used to stop me but I didn't really listen to her. She wasn't firm. She used to be strict on anything sexually related. Still is.) It's been haunting me till a few minutes ago when I chanced upon an article which said toddlers orgasm too! I was shocked!!!! And I thought I was a perverted child!

my 14 month old daughter does the exact same thing.. I'm confused, scared, uncomfortable.

I know this thread is very old (posts all the way back to 07!) but this is a very interesting topic and hard to find information on!  I know I wrote a lot, so I underlined and bolded the question I have.

Honestly, I wasn't sure what to expect when I started reading and was surprised to see how common it is for children/infants to have an orgasm, or something similar!  I knew that children and infantants stimulate themselves at a very young age, even fully masturbate, as i have both witnessed it and studied it in one of my psychology classes during college.

Personally I didn't start masturbating till about the age of 12, but have witnessed children doing so, I think the youngest was a 1-2 years old girl I was helping someone take care of in the waiting room of a hospital (I was 16), her mother stopped her as soon as she noticed, although even then I didn't think there was anything wrong with it.

When I was young, sex wasn't talked about unless it was brought up by me, meaning I was never taught anything from my parents unless I specifically asked, and so it became a subject that I felt guilty about and tried to avoid.  The time I was caught masturbating by my mom only further made me feel this way, even though she did not show any negativity towards what I was doing (nor did she say anything).

I am a soon to be father and plan to be very open about sexuality and everything that goes along with it at a very young age with her(age appropriately of course), which is why I was looking up information on child sexuality.  

So my question is this, for those of you who are open with discussing sexuality with your children, do you find anything wrong with letting them know it's okay to do in front of you (a parent) but no one else?

I've read those who encourage their children to do it in their bedroom alone, which is understandable, but that's the attitude I think may have driven me to feel ashamed when I was young.  I don't personally see anything wrong (i.e. it's not disgusting or bad as some have said) seeing a child do this as it is natural and I want my child to know that.  By encouraging her to be open with her body while she is learning about it, I feel like it also encourages her to continue to be open with sharing and asking questions as she gets older.

In my psychology class on sexuality we discussed cultures where it was common for fathers to teach their sons to masturbate as well as mothers to teach their daughters (although that second one wasn't as common) and it often brings a very openness and positive view of sexuality not only within a household, but the whole community.  I can definately see the value of this, although I can also see how it could be harmful.

any feedback would be greatly appriciated.  It probably won't change the way I feel, but I'd love to hear how others do!

I know this thread is very old (posts all the way back to 07!) but this is a very interesting topic and hard to find information on! I know I wrote a lot, so I underlined and bolded the question I have.

Honestly, I wasn't sure what to expect when I started reading and was surprised to see how common it is for children/infants to have an orgasm, or something similar! I knew that children and infantants stimulate themselves at a very young age, even fully masturbate, as i have both witnessed it and studied it in one of my psychology classes during college.

When I was young, sex wasn't talked about unless it was brought up by me, meaning I was never taught anything from my parents unless I specifically asked, and so it became a subject that I felt guilty about and tried to avoid. The time I was caught masturbating by my mom only further made me feel this way, even though she did not show any negativity towards what I was doing (nor did she say anything).

I am a soon to be father and plan to be very open about sexuality and everything that goes along with it at a very young age with her(age appropriately of course), which is why I was looking up information on child sexuality.

I've read those who encourage their children to do it in their bedroom alone, which is understandable, but that's the attitude I think may have driven me to feel ashamed when I was young. I don't personally see anything wrong (i.e. it's not disgusting or bad as some have said) seeing a child do this as it is natural and I want my child to know that. By encouraging her to be open with her body while she is learning about it, I feel like it also encourages her to continue to be open with sharing and asking questions as she gets older.

In my psychology class on sexuality we discussed cultures where it was common for fathers to teach their sons to masturbate as well as mothers to teach their daughters (although that second one wasn't as common) and it often brings a very openness and positive view of sexuality not only within a household, but the whole community. I can definately see the value of this, although I can also see how it could be harmful.

any feedback would be greatly appriciated. It probably won't change the way I feel, but I'd love to hear how others do!