At around 12 mos., my granddaughter began stimulating herself by laying on her stomach & stimulating herself by moving her hips in a rhytmic motion. She began only doing it when she is tired & would put herself to sleep this way. Now she does it a lot more often......in her high chair, carseat, etc. Sometimes when she does it now, she nearly screams & seems to get frustrated at times. She will sometimes have a glassy look in her eyes as if she's in deep concentration or a trance-like state. If you try to distract her or pick her up before she's 'ready', she will cry & fight us. We were worried about her being sexually abused, but she's not left alone with strangers. I did many searches & finally found a Kinsey report called Chapter 2, which eased our minds greatly. My question is this.... what should we do to keep this from becoming a habit? We don't want her to think it's a 'bad' thing to do, but she's too young to explain to her that this should be done in private. Any info you can give us will be extremely appreciated. After searching the web MANY, MANY times, I'm astonished how little information is out there pertaining to this. It seems like anyone I talk to has had this same experience or knows someone who has. Is the USA so sexually repressed that we cannot even discuss such a normal part of human behavior? What a scary thought. Please help. Any insight will be greatly appreciated. Thanks........Confused Grandma

The Kinsey report is a very debated "report" by a simple google and search, I would never, as a parent go by that or any one thing.

In fact I searched and read in regards to chapter 2 "Kinsey and his colleagues have been castigated for not exposing the persons responsible for stimulating these infants to orgasm. Such behavior is generally regarded as child sexual abuse today."

Another search indicated thousands of pages indicating terrible things.. here is just some of what is being said...
The evidence is now clear that Kinsey's research was fraught with lies, deceit, and fraudulent data. His "scientific" methodology was anything but scientific. The means by which he and his colleagues conducted research and gathered data was oftentimes criminal according to the laws of the time, and even by the laws of today. Contrary to the benevolent publicity accorded him, Kinsey and his hand-picked co-authors and colleagues fit the classic definition of "sexual psychopath" according to Dorland's Medical Dictionary: "an individual whose sexual behavior is manifestly anti-social and criminal" (1981, p. 1091).

Kinsey's deviant sex life appears to have been hidden from the public by Indiana University and The Rockefeller Foundation, a financial and philosophical supporter of Kinsey's research. However, James H. Jones, an Indiana University scholar and Kinsey Institute grantee, reveals some insider information about Kinsey and his research team in the 937-page biography, Alfred C. Kinsey: A Public/Private Life (1997, WW Norton).

Kinsey's Research Team

Jones' data confirms other reports that Kinsey was a sexist, racist and atheist who excluded women, Jews, blacks, and moral traditionalists from his staff and hired only homosexuals and bisexuals (with one short-term exception). Kinsey only hired sexual deviants on whom he could rely to keep his secrets — including his fraud, his "uncommon desires," and the child molesters he used to conduct child sex experiments. Jones also reported that Kinsey: coerced his wife into participating in acts of adultery and sodomy with his staff and co-authors (which were filmed), seduced male students at Indiana University (and bullied their wives into participating), filmed sex with his male co-workers (who were rewarded by promotion to co-authorship), and filmed himself participating in sado-masochistic sex rituals.

Kinsey's Research on Children

Not only was Kinsey's research on adult sexuality based on his own homosexual and sadomasochistic perversions, but the data he collected on the alleged sexuality of children were based on brutal sex crimes against children. For example, part of Kinsey's research protocol involved "orgasm" experiments on children, some as young as 2 months of age.

The pedophilic experimenters claimed that the 317 to 2,045 (reports vary) abused infants and children were unharmed by the masturbation, sodomy and rape perpetrated to test these alleged "orgasmic" responses (see: British Yorkshire Television's Kinsey's Pedophiles). On pages 160-161 of Kinsey's Male volume, the children's "screams," their "convulsions," their "hysterical weeping," "fighting," and "striking the partner" (the adult) are judged by Kinsey as reflecting "definite pleasure from the situation."

My book Kinsey: Crimes & Consequences (1998, 2000) details how children were obtained and experimented upon, and how Kinsey used such child sex experimental data as part of an on-going collegial, cross-cultural, multinational, "fact-finding" research project. For example, some of Kinsey's data was derived from sexual experiments performed on children by Dr. von Balluseck, a Nazi collaborator in Germany who Kinsey described as an educated man of a "scientific bent."2 It should be noted that Kinsey corresponded with Dr. von Balluseck during a time in history when Nazis were conducting similar human experiments en masse.

Based on his allegedly scientific data, Kinsey claimed that children enjoyed sex and the real harm of adult-child sex stemmed from "hysterical" parents, teachers and professionals who reacted with anger and horror to children's disclosures. Based on his findings, many legislatures lightened or eliminated penalties for sexual offenses — reversing the judiciary's traditional leniency toward women as the "weaker sex" in cases of sex abuse and betrayal, and toward children as "victims" in cases of incest and child molestation. Since this time, the courts have been increasingly distrustful and punishing of victimized women and children

I would be very careful.

As far as your child, I would take her to the doctor and check for infections or other things that may be irritating her. I also would not immediatly put a sexual label on what she is doing. She is a baby, just ignore it if the doctor doesn't find anything.

I have a family member, infant, that is experiencing this same behavior. Have you found any other information regarding this issue?

if you take any advice at all it would be this:

what you are describing is NOT abnormal...

WOW!

I am so glad someone else brought this up.

When my 9 year old son was only 2 weeks old, I was laying with him in my bed and had him laying on top of my stomach and chest. All of a sudden, he started thrusting his pelvis back and forth like a man having sex would! I was shocked! He did this for about 10 seconds, and then I turned him over on his back and checked his diaper. His penis was erect! I really freaked out and to this day can't figure out how or why a 2 week old baby would do something like that. I was his only caretaker from the time we left the hospital, and I have NEVER touched any of my children inappropriately.

I never saw it happen again when he was a baby, but to this day, he has a tendency to stimulate himself, I think he does it without even realizing it most of the time.

After the experience I had with my son at 2 weeks, I wondered if it was possible that some people have natural sexual urges that start very early, and that it doesn't necessarily mean that someone stimulated them that way?

Every single child is different. I have had 5 children and they all experimented with themselves at times. I never made them feel dirty, i just distracted them. My daughter, who is now a healthy 30 year old mother of 3 boys, was very sexual in childhood. She was always rubbing herself on pillows, couch cushions, arms of furniture, whatever she could. I would just turn her attention to something else. I never made a big deal. And you are right by saying this is not abnormal for a child to do this.

My friend has a little girl who is 3. She would do this ALL THE TIME, any where, it didn't matter who was in the room. She would actually ride peoples knees. I was at her home one day and helped her go potty, she couldn't climb up on the toilet and needed help to wipe. As i was puling up her panties i noticed something hanging from her vaginal area. I called my friend into the bathroom ASAP and showed her. This little girls clitoris was hugh and hanging from between her labia. 2 weeks later they performed surgery on her. Today she is fine. For her it was a medical problem. But for others, it is normal.

"When my 9 year old son was only 2 weeks old, I was laying with him in my bed and had him laying on top of my stomach and chest. All of a sudden, he started thrusting his pelvis back and forth like a man having sex would! I was shocked! He did this for about 10 seconds, and then I turned him over on his back and checked his diaper. His penis was erect!"

Ok, my babies do the same gyrating motion all the time. Have you thought about the fact that part of being a baby is to experiment with your limbs, with the end result being able to crawl? I think there's a little bit of paranoia circulating within these posts. As for the "erect penis", that happens if the baby's bladder is full. It's probably just a coincidence.

Don't worry, this behaviour is completely normal.

Contrary to what many people would like to believe, child sexuality is neither abnormal nor unnatural. A recent study in Sweden showed that masturbation in early childhood occurs in between 6 and 14% of the population; Kinsey also wrote about this in his studies.

You can safely discount the information from daisy33loca; she doesn't include a source for her information, I have not been able to find it with a google search, and the claims she makes are largely irrelevant (in some cases downright misleading). The legality of data collected does not diminish the accuracy of that data; daisy33loca is using ad hominems.

Simply ignore the behaviour; calling it out or trying to change it is only going to cause potential problems later in life.

Wow, I just read all of these comments and am so surprised. I have never heard anyone discuss this subject at all and am amazingly relieved to see/hear that it is somewhat common. I can remember having pleasurable sensations down there at age 4. I remember being 5 and laying on my belly stimulating myself. I'm 30 years old and have spent my whole life thinking something was wrong with me hormonally then. At the time, I felt incredibly guilty, but had a hard time controlling the onset of these sensations which eventually led to orgasm. I feel so much more normal now. Thank you.

Nobody really likes talking about this too much, do they? It's a bit of a taboo subject, to think that our infants might be having sexual urges.
As said above, it varies greatly from child to child. I've babysat for friends, in the past from time to time. The first time I saw a kid get an erection, I thought something was wrong. The mother told me later she'd been surprised the first time she saw it, too, but she'd researched (ask a pediatrician, hint hint.) and found it was quite normal, for both boys and girls. I haven't seen it a lot, didn't do that much babysitting, but masturbation in both genders occurs regularly, and I saw a boy have an orgasm from it, once. He was about a year old.
When they are old enough to understand, it should be explained to them that this is something you do in private, please. Until then, just let it happen, I guess. It's no big deal, and to make it a big deal can give them a distorted view of things, later.
As a society I think we are a bit too ready to leap to the type of thinking "..must have been abused...", but I honestly think that in the majority of cases the kids work out where the pleasure centres are all on their own.
(This is not to understate the seriousness of sexual abuse when it happens, of course.)

This same thing has happened to me, only I wasn't the concerned parent, I was the child. Ever since I was around that age (maybe about 2, I guess), I would do a similar thing by lying down on my stomach with my hands between the floor and that 'area' and would thrust, or sometimes even in my high seat thing in the car. I didn't know it was something that was inappropriate to do in front of other people. I just knew when I felt the need, it felt good, and I didn't know any better. It was only when my baby sitter put me down for a nap, and I started doing it, and she said, "Anna, stop playing with your bum" in a voice like it was sooo offensive or inappropriate, and I NEVER did it in front of anybody else again. Of course, being a human being with healthy urges, I continued to do it, just in private. It was later on when I came of age that I learned from my mom what I was doing. Also, I just wanted to say that I have in no way been sexually abused in my past at all, and it's completely normal for a kid who may one day reproduce when they become adults. It just means everything is working properly if a child has a heavier blood flow in his penis or her clitoris. It's COMPLETELY natural! I know it's hard to think that a child that young can get these kind of urges, but it's just the reality for some like me. Now I have grown into a healthy 18 year old girl and am perfectly fine.
Anyways, I wish you and anyone else who has had this experience with their child the best of luck, and I hope I helped somewhat and have put your minds at ease.
Bye.

the world has gone nutz!!! everyone is so scared about child sexuality (yes children are inherently sexual) that these subjects aren't discussed much. as a resident dr. at a pediatric urology clinic it is my professional opinion that your granddaughter is NORMAL.. just distract her with a toy that isn't in her pants.. i would try to curb this behavior because it can cause irritation and in rare cases a yeast infection of the vulva. Kinsey is being chastised because of research on a topic that is considered taboo in our culture.. In native American cultures many years ago it was common to manipulate a child's genitals in order to calm or please a child.. much research has been obtained by questionable methods over the years but many people still believe that Sigmund Freud was a lunatic because of his research but now he is considered by many to be the father of modern psychology... everyone should stop being paranoid that their child is being molested.

For all the people who keep referring to what is or was once considered normal; history is filled with examples of human atrocities and cruelty that were once considered normal and acceptable by large portions of a culture. E.g., genocide during wars, slavery. It's an irrelevant concept. What matters is what is "healthy" for a child. What will cause damage (physical or emotional) to a child now or later as an adult? Kinsey was a fraudulent scientist for sure even for a social scientist. He used invalid statistics and poorly designed experiments to justify data. As a scientist that is what I find most offensive. As far as child sexuality what is healthy is to maintain a balance. Children must be taught that occasional private stimulation is okay but not to use it as a coping mechanism.

I found this message board after doing a search for childhood orgasm. I am like the guest above who was the child who did this, and not the concerned parent. I've lived in shame for my whole life (I am not in my late 30's) because I did this. It started when I was so young that I can't even remember the first time it happened. I could move in a certain way (much like is described above) and eventually something would happen and since I knew nothing about sex or orgasm, I just thought it felt really good and really had no idea what it was. I would try to hide after I figured out my family thought it was bad but we lived in a small house so sometimes my mom or my brothers might catch me. My family treated it as if it was a really horrible and bad thing and like I had something wrong with me. It has really had an effect on my relationships and I don't really like sex as an adult. I've never been married and able to keep a long term relationship going b/c it is just really hard for me to be intimate with someone. I just wanted to post and hope that someone else will see this and post in return. It would really help to not feel like the only person in the world who has had this in their life. I just watched an Oprah about molestation and in a way, I feel like the shame is similar to what the people on there described. Not that I'm trying to say this is anything like molestation b/c I'm sure that is a much worse thing to go through. I just feel like some of the feelings of shame may be the same. I hope to hear from someone else on here who had this.

I found this thread when looking for information for my daughter's "habit". She is 4 1/2 now and has been humping her blankets since she was 18 months old. She used to do it very frequently... several times a day, and nearly always at bed and nap time. When I first asked her doctor about it, he said that it was perfectly normal and that she would eventually grow out of it. I began gently explaining to her that if she wants to do that, then she will have to be in private. It's important not to make them feel bad for this as for a child, it is not a "sexual" act... it simply feels good. They have absolutely no concious connection between these acts and sex.

She is nearly 5 and still humps her blankets to fall asleep at night. It's not nearly to the same degree as she used to do it before... in frequency or enthusiasm. There were several times when I was quite certain she climaxed... she would make grunting noises, her face would flush, and she would be sweating, just before she would become very calm and still. Sounds like an orgasm to me... and I couldn't believe that was even possible! But after researching and talking with her Drs more, I began to learn that it is quite normal and no cause for concern, barring any underlying medical conditions that is.

All that being said... don't listen to anything Kinsey wrote. The man was a psycho-sexual maniac who would be considered a criminal by today's standards. His methods of conducting research on the child subjects are deplorable and absolutely nauseating!