Hi, I have been working out for three months now. Before I have started to go to the gym, I spend some time on finding the best equipment for the workout. I have always thought that good sport shoes are an essential part of this equipment. However, few days ago I was talking to some guys at the gym who say that for the best results I should do the squats with my bare feet. Could this be true, or are they messing with me?

Hi, you are absolutely right when it comes to equipment needed for the workout. Properly picked shoes can indeed help you with your exercises, but, more importantly, they will insure you avoid some serious ankle injuries. Also, sometimes at the gym accidents may happen. You wouldn't want someone to drop weights on your bare feet. So, when it comes to safety, wearing your sport shoes can prove very wise. When it comes to squats, some people say that working with bare feet helps them perform the exercise more correctly. They also say that this way their feet can have a better grip. I personally disagree. I think that squats should be done with flat shoes on. This way your feet are stable and the grip of the rubber foot of the sneakers gives me plenty of support. You should talk to a trainer at the gym about this. A professional will have more insight into this matter.