My name is SP and I am a 51 year old female. I do experience post nasal drip, but no history of asthma or other respiratory diseases. I do have HBP and I take triamterene 37.5 mg/HCTZ 25 mg and Amplodipine Besylate 5 mg. I have often seen what I considered 'blue blood' in my mucus for over 10 years. Usually my mucus is very thick when this occurs and the blood streak look encapsulated in the mucus. During the times when I experience this, I also experience red blood in my nasal passages due to aggravated sinuses. The mucus with blue streaks has been something I coughed up or it has also occurred when I blew my nose. I did show my previous Doctor once because she hadn't heard of it. She was puzzled. My current doctor is very text book rigid. She has been little help with this matter. She looks at me as if I'm weird. The blue seems to occur when I'm dealing with allergy symptoms and my mucus thickens and I'm dealing with post nasal drip more upon awakening, and when I have to blow my nose a lot. Its hard to say if antibiotics stops it, because when the mucus is less thick, it improves and I don't notice the blue streaks whether I have had antibiotics or not. I actually do wear a blue eye liner- I have for years- however, I can't say if its that or not. I wear it almost every day, but I don't experience the blue streaks except when my sinuses are acting up. Hope my story helps.

I drink a lot of blue cherry Gatorade and my snot comes out blue sometimes. it can also make your poop come out green. It's sometimes because of the dies in our food and drink

I am 44 year old female have not smoked in 15 years . I had a bad cold / cough lasted 3 weeks ... Then perfectly fine after 2 weeks later got clear discharge out of nose with small blue fibers ...., thought it was from makeup/ lint or something else??? Only left nostril though has been like this over a week ... Never had allergies & wondering if related to that & i am hair dresser & around powders & strong chemicals. No clue & never had this before !

Well if cyan blue is a blue sky color but slightly darker I have had small streaks in my white sinus drainage. They have just started burning lady couple if days. I am on IMURAN, is that of interest with the blue drainage?

How are you now, my daughter has blue streaks in her mucus. lots of test but no diagnosis yet 

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private phone numbers are not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

I have it and never wear any eye makeup at all, so that is NOT the cause.

Wow that's crazy! I just got sick yesterday and today I blew my nose and had blue mucus. Yesterday I wore blue eyeliner! When I blew my nose I could even see some blue shimmer . And yes I realized on this post it's all women! I'm so glad u shared this!

I have toe nail fungus that looks like dark blood with a blue spot, what is that spot?

Have you figured out what this could be yet . Mine is like black fibers or looks like lint

I'm 27 years old, male and I just spit out blue mucus. It is very strange. What can it be? I plan to head to the doctor soon and I will update everyone with what he concludes. Can it be allergies, pollution, the water, chemicals in food?

This same thing happens to me. It looks like ink sometimes mines looks black. My friend said that her doctor told her when you suffer from sinus that happens.

I just woke up and it started

Perhaps it's caused by a sinus infection(yellow)that turned into a head cold (green)green and yellow make blue. As an artist this seems plausible...and I am going through this..it's bluish green with a milky discharge

Hello. There maybe 2 reasons for the bluish colouration of your mucous. firstly, due to a bacteria called pseudomonas pyocyanecea which can be detected by a nasal swab culture test. otherwise, if u r using any blue/ blackish eye makeup/ kajal, it may trickle through the nasolacrimal duct ( the duct from the eyes opening into the nose). hence, i suggest that u must stop using kajal, if u are, n observe if the symptom recedes.

Blue is bacteria, but only a concern when lasting more than 1 week.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use