For those who have the blue or colored fiber looking things in your spit AND use an inhaler for asthma, take a look inside the opening of your inhaler.  Clothing fibers get into the opening of the inhalers EVEN if they are closed.  You need to rinse out the opening before each use -- if possible.

I was going crazy wondering why I was having blue fibers in my spit.  Then my son, who also has asthma, told me that his inhaler always gets full of his jeans/pants material fibers.  Now I am not going crazy anymore.

I hope this post helps others find the culprit!

I have had this same problem..Now I have a question, is everyone who has posted so far female? if so then thats another thing that s common, blue mucus and we are all females.. I just am hoping it isnt something too serious. I have had it going on for going on 4 years..Anyone figure out what it could be or mean yet? 

I am so glad to find this is not that uncommon I have been freaked out the past few days noticing a bright blue colour coming through in my snot. Read alot of post on a lot of websites and alot point to bacteria but the most common link seems to be sinus trouble I've got sinusitis at the moment too it started as a cold I just couldn't shake completely, everytime I thought I was getting rid of it it came back full force that went on for about 3 weeks till I went to the doctor that seems common too.

However I am going back to my docotor Tuesday I will ask her her oppinion.

Well... this might be wrong, but I heard something really strange.
Do any of you wear lots of eyeshadow? (If you don't, dismiss my theory.)
I once read that the overuse of eyeshadow will cause cold-like symptoms and produce, well-blue mucus!
This could be entirely wrong, I just thought I'd put this out.

1. I am female
2. early 20's.
3. always had chronic sinus issues
4. have seasonal allergies
5. blue things look like fibers in clear mucus
6, my doctor has never heard of it. 

I am a man in my early 40's and have noticed these small bluish fiber strands all over my white bathroom sink. I thought they were just dust but as soon as I clean them off, they are back and covering the top of the bathroom sink. I've been in this house for about 5 years and it seems like I've only noticed them over the last couple of years. Whats weird is I always have one side of my nose plugged, have a slight deviated septum and have struggled with sinus issues for 10 years now. I also have had very small fibers come out when blowing my nose at times but nothing streaky. I constantly struggle with no energy and am wondering if this is all related. I wonder how I can have someone test to see what these particles are?

I bet you are right, I have the same issues and low and behold-I wear teal eyeliner, and not that much/often either. There is loads of toxic stuff in makeup. in the garbage with that now. Thanks Mom!

I do not wear eye make up....nor do i have asthma...female early 20s....still have blue fiber looking things....cancels out both of those theories.

I have had black/grey/blue specks in my mucus as well. It has been happening for a couple of months now. I have chronic sinus infections and chronic tonsillitis. When I ask my doctor and ENT about the black specks I always get the answer that it is blood. As far as the blue, I am seeing another ENT soon. My sinus infections happen back to back and i have had a previous septoplasty and polyp removal in my left nostril . Here is the information you are requesting. A) SM 6/16/85 B) Female C) Chronic Tonsillitis, Asthma(been off inhalers for over a year) D) Currently on Azithromyacin, sudogest. It seems as if I have even more blue streaks in my mucus now that I have taken Zitro. I do use eye make up everyday, but have done so for about 15 years and have never ran into this problem, unless it's the brand of makeup (I use sephora gel and liquid eyeliner only). I do tend to be walking in a bit of a daze, but not sure if it has anything to do with these symptoms. These specks are alarming, and I hope an answer along with a cure is established

Just happened to me for the first time. I'm 38 and have just been for my first rather punishing bike ride in ages. Naturally I was worried, but after reading this, a little less so. Physically, I feel totally fine.

The same thing happened to me! I'm kind of worried that its something serious, but in the back of my mind I know it could just be like a sinus infection from sniffling all the time!

I am a 23 years old female. I have had allergies every morning (15 minute sneezing fits) for the last 4 years. I will sneeze uncontrollably untill (what i can only describe as) little "blue fiber strands" are all sneezed out, then I am fine for the rest of the day. This happens EVERY day! Once every month  I get an entire day of uncontrollable sneezing where no "blue fiber strands" come out, but I end up exhausted and unable to complete simple tasks due to the fact that I am sneezing uncontrolably from the moment I wake up to when I go to sleep. Someone previously mentioned that they had their septum peirced; I do too but this all started before i had it pierced? My doctor has no idea what it is, I even went to see a nose specialist and he has never heard of it. Over the past 4 years I have changed my diet,changed my bedding, gotten an air purifier, and nothing has changed, i thought maybe its my house or my room, but even on vacation in hotels, or when i stay elsewhere it still persists. Hopefully someone somewhere can shed some light on this as it is both exhausting and alarming.:)

19, male. Just got over a sore throat but am now dealing with chest congestion. woke up this morning with blue saliva and tongue. no streaks, just plain blue.

I have this problem too. There is a bacteria, called Pseudomonas aeruginosa, that is a green-blue color. Some strains are known to be blue. Pseudomonas has a very characteristic smell, a chemicaley-grape-like smell. [I'm a microbiologist, so Pseudomonas and I are pals]

I've been going to an ENT, but he hasn't been too helpful. If the smell is bothering you, tell your doctor. If they can get a good sample, hopefully you [we?] can get treatment. :)

My initials are KAC, and my birthday is June 7, 1990

Sex: Female

Chronic conditions: exercise induced asthma

Medications: none, except occasionally an albuterol inhaler [I wash it daily]

Story: For the past 8 years, I've only been able to breathe out of one nostril at a time--the other always seems stuffy. Around Easter this year, I blew my nose, and bright blue snot came out. I assumed I'd just eaten too many Peeps, and shrugged it off. Shortly thereafter, I had cold-like symptoms, but they were really harsh. One Friday night, I coughed up bright blue sputum and my snot was blue all night. I took a picture with my phone, and made an appointment with my doctor. She was puzzled, and make me an appointment with an ENT. This is fairly irregular with me, and when I went to him, he stuck a scope into my sinuses [possibly down my throat too, but I'm not sure]. He said he saw nothing blue, and he gave me some nasal wash. Since then, the blue has returned, and I still have an excessive amount of drainage. I'm scheduling another appointment soon.

I do wear make-up, but not often. The blue color does not correlate with the times I'm wearing make-up. Also, we swabbed some of the blue in the micro lab where I work, and we isolated an organism (gram negative), but we didn't identify it. It looked like Pseudomonas, but I can't be 100% sure.

I hope this helps figure this out. As a heads up, Pseudomonas is a very bad infection. Your body usually cannot fight it off on its own, and it is a very resistant bug [think MRSA] to antibiotics. Although your body may prevent it from spreading or getting worse, it is unlikely you can get rid of it naturally. Just because it is everywhere in nature, doesn't mean it isn't bad.