About 3 years ago the skin around one of my finger nails began itching like crazy. I have sensitive skin and I moisturize like crazy and make sure I take luke warm showers, etc. But no matter what I tried the itch would not go away for 2 weeks. Then it stopped just like that.
A few months later it was back, but in other fingers as well. This pattern continued for about 2 years before it got to the point that it was constant and almost never stopped no matter what lotions or vitamins, or anti-itch creams I tried.
I went to the doctor thinking maybe I had a mild fungal infection and the doctor had no idea what was wrong since I have no visible symptoms of anything being wrong (slight redness from all of the scratching but nothing else). So he gave me some topical fungal treatment, which I followed to a T with absolutely NO results.
So I tried some fungal treatment I got from an organic store. Again no results. Then I tried tea tree oil, which sometimes seems to help after several days of use.
A few months ago the itching got worse. Now, I not only have it around my nails (my index finger on my left hand is the worse) but I also get it on the balls of my feet under my toes. My left foot is worse than the right. I also occasionally experience itching on my palms on the round part under the fingers.
There is no flaking, discoloration, bumps, etc. I take allergy pills and they do nothing to stop or relieve the itch.
I'm beyond desperate now, but relieved to find others who seem to have a similar ailment. I really started to feel like I was crazy because no one knew what I was talking about. I hope someone reads this and has some helpful advice. Short of cutting off my hands and feet I'm out of ideas.

Just last night I had a mad fit of itching on the soles of both my feet. The heating was turned up quite warm in the house, so I though it was something to do with that.

I stood outside for 5 minutes and it stopped. When I went back in the house I changed from a sweater to a t-shirt and removed my socks to reduce my body temperature.

This morning whilst driving to work, my feet started to itch. I managed to work through it (not easy to scratch your feet whilst driving) and it went away after 5 minutes or so.

Today, at lunchtime my hands have now started itching uncontrolably as well.

4 weeks ago I had a very painful attack of what was suspected Gout. My blood test results for that returned normal, so gave no confirmation either way.

Gout is caused by the liver not being able to dispose of enough protein and is to some degree controllable with a change in diet apparently.

I'm now wondering if this itching is somehow related, but I've eaten a more healthy diet than ever in my life before over the last 2 years.

I'm now going to keep a food diary every day and mark the times I get itching (or gout).

Hopefully over a period of time I'll see a pattern and be able to determine which food or ingredient (if that's the casue) is causing all this discomfort.

I'm in the process of changing jobs at the moment and I'm feeling naturally anxious of starting my new role, so I'm thinking that could be a contributory factor as well.

I am 24 years old, female. I've experienced itchy hands and feet twice in the past two weeks. The first time was after taking shower in the morning, so I thought it could be the soap (new soap). Then the second time, just last night was horrible. My feet itched and then my hands. There was mad itching and also burning where it felt like my blood was quickly swirling around and throbbing. I took a benadryl which I thought atleast would knock me out so I could sleep if not stop the itching. Eventually I feel asleep but after quite some time. I woke up w/the itching pretty much gone but my hands felt quite tingly and stiff. I'm pretty sure like some you have mentioned this has to do with some food allergy. Why would it just be in the hands and feet though? If it's in the system why wouldn't I itch all over?

I am so glad I am not alone in this crazy itchy hands and feet nightmare! I am 26 years old and have had severe allergies since I was a child. Over the last two or three years I have discovered that loratadine (the generic form of claritin) is a cheap and adequate way to treat my allergy symptoms. The problem started when I got tired of the dry mouth and eternal tiredness from taking an antihistamine all year. I attempted to stop taking the antihistamine only to have this horrible itch on my hands and feet that would not go away no matter how much I scratched. When I resumed taking the loratadine, it went away. I believe it is a form of dermatitis but there is no rash, just itching. I am troubled because I would like to stop my use of loratadine, yet not experience this itching. Any suggestions?

i've woken up now for the past several months from a dead sleep with extreme itching of my feet and hands. the itching is so sever at times, that i feel like i'm going crazy. the itching is not just external but internal and when it gets that bad i can scratch for a long time with no relief. i usually take benadryl and it knocks me out but the next day i get it again. there are some days that i don't have it, but i've also noticed charlie horses on the back of my calves and my right hip continuously hurts so much that i can't put any pressure on it while sleeping and sitting is no picnic either. i've also noticed red hot rashes on my face and upper torso and have had recurring dizzy spells. the dizzy spells have gotten more frequent in the past week as well as the red blotchy rash on my face. a few other symptoms i've experienced are chest pain and unexplained fever. can anyone help?

I have the same exact symptoms as you. I am going to the doctor soon to see what the heck is going on.

Wow. This is the first post I've seen where someone describes what I'm feeling. It has been only a year for me. I'm a 36 year old female in pretty good physical condition. My itching started one day in a yoga class, strangely enough. My left ankle started to itch like I was bitten by a first ant. Nothing there. Then periodically, on my drive home from work, I would feel like my hands were being bitten. I also began taking allergy pills, the OTR loratidine, and got relief. But I am frustrated by not understanding WHY! I have seen some places suggest neuropathy and carpel tunnel. I thought it was circulatory. But now I just don't know. And it's not a complaint that most MD's are going to be able to trouble shoot very well. It's intermittent and unreliable. Like trying to diagnose your car when it only sometimes won't start. I've also noticed that when I hold something cold or carry furniture, I get flareups. weird. One of these days, when I have health insurance, perhaps I'll get it checked out.

itchymoms.com/pages/survey.php

Wow everyone seems to be going thru the same problem as me. Glad 2 see I'm not alone. I just started this itching 2 days ago. I've heard food everything under the sun. Most doctors just giving out prescriptions. I think the truth is that there is something different and nobody has a definite cure and we just have to go with the treatment that makes you feel the best.

Hmmm I did a search for itchy hands and feet and found this forum. I also have mostly itching, not a rash or marks, although sometimes I see a white mark or small bump when I start scratching. My first thought is a food/drug/contact allergy. I am allergic to nickel and know what that feels/looks like. Also, my son has food and environmental allergies and has had itchy skin as a baby/toddler. I was told it was most likely food related but would be difficult to find out which food as you have to do an elimination diet. So...at this point, I'm going to try some Claritin to see if that helps. Also just to be aware if it gets worse from certain foods. I have been on quite a few new medications lately for some female issues...so a few different antibiotics...although I was done taking them when this started. I just really really hope this is temporary. The itching is somewhat mild, like a misquito bite and it does come and go in different spots..mostly hands and feet and sometimes my lower legs, but so far it is still there after three days. If it doesn't go away, i may see an allergist to get some tests done to see if we can pinpoint anything there.

so far from what i have read from all these posts, what i have been experiencing the last 5 months seems to be what some of you have described.
when i first experienced these symptomes, it started on my feet. I have a slight itch on my ankle one day. i ignored it at first but then during the night it became more irritated, i scratched and scratched all night, barely getting any sleep. when i woke up in the morning and looked at my ankle, the little red spot had a white circle around the irritated area.
later on the white circles became larger as i scratched, and eventually spread to my hands. when i scratched my hands the white circles became larger and eventually spread around my hands.
the spots only last a few days, but come back frequently, maybe every other week or so.
i find my hands and feet are particularly clammy when i get the outbreaks and it always seems to pop up on my hands and feet at the same time.
i generally try to use something cold to sooth the pain, during the winter a cold window near my bed worked for my hands, but it seems to make the white circles more apparent and swollen. there are no blisters and topical creams don't seem to have much effect on the spots. i have found that smoking pot helps relieve the itch, or at least makes me forget about it and usually lets me get a full night's sleep without waking up.

it has been suggested to me that this problem may be viral due to the fact that it comes and goes in cycles.
my concern is that right now i am in possibly my worst break out yet and it seems to be climbing down my hands to my wrists for the first time, and climbing around my hands from my palms to the backsides of my hands.
has anyone else found theirs spreading more as the outbreaks occure?
if so, has anyone found something that prevents the spreading?
i know it is not contagious because my girlfriend has not showed any symptomes and we have been in close contact many times since the first outbreak.

another note, if it is a viral thing, i strongly suggesttrying to remember who you were with/around maybe even sharing sodas with or exchanging bodily fluid, especially if you have a spouse or are in a monogomous relationship, your partner could be carrying the virus but not be showing any symptomes because of a stronger immunity it. just some things to think about.

**edited by moderator**

Wow, I should have know I'd find company in cyberspace. My feet and hands have been itching for about a year. The itch, mostly occurring at night, is either in a hand or a foot but never both at the same time. Occassionally it will happen in my feet when I'm driving, having sex, or otherwise stressed.

The itch is so intense and comes in bursts that feel like burns. I massage my legs and feet to get through it quickly. Or I lay perfectly still until it subsides; which is VERY HARD to do. If I move, it seems to stay longer and intensifies.

Today the itch in my hands occurred while I was at work. I tried running cold water over them and being still; nothing. It eventually eased off. Unfortunately I've had four "episodes" today...and the feet are starting to tingle now.

This is awful. I have a doctors appointment soon, but not soon enough.

Last month I got a bug that felt like flue for about 3 days immeadiatly after I had lumps that formed under the skin of the soles of my feet so painfull I could hardly walk. I went to the doctor with this thinkning it was gout and of couse no hellp about 3 weeks ago my hands stated itching bad with what looks like insect bites but no insects were present. Ive taken Generic Claritin and vitamins today that seems to help. I'll let you know tommorrow if symptons return tommorow.

:-D Thank God... someone else is "crazy like me", at least that's what I was beginning to feel like. I had this same condition last year at this time and here I am with it again, but this time I went on the internet and found others in the same predicament. Both my hands and feet are affected and both get extremely itchy sporadically.
The itch is intense and backs off a bit when scratched, but goes away a lot faster if I ice it. When I asked my doctor if it could be related to the GOUT I may have suffered, I was told no. I am going to keep track and see if it settles when I cut back on the proteins which cause Gout. She says it is likely a "neuritis" type of thing and will just go away in time. She was wrong about some other problems I was having, so perhaps she is wrong this time too. Antihistamines don't work for me.

I have been suffering from itchy feet and hands for several months at least 2 or 3 times a week. Noting is visible on my skin. I have gone to an allergist, dermatologist and my regular dr. I am still waiting for blood work results but right now no one knows what it is. I cannot believe I found people with the same thing. I have been researching this for months. Chloratram (over the counter antihystimine) seems to help. However, I do not want to keep on taking pills. Also, putting my feet in very cold or very hot water seems to help.