i am going through the same thing except my tonsils are always big. only once in a while they start hurting and get swelled. My tonsils have been hurting for the past 2 days and i have the same symptoms as you. Do you think i should go to the doctor???? I need help!!

I am undergoing the same symptoms which you are experiencing. About 6 days days ago I felt i bump right under my jawline on the outside of my neck although it didnt hurt. The day after I felt the bump on my neck it started to hurt just like a sore throat. My older sister experienced mono about a month ago so my parents wanted to bring me to the doctor just incase to have blood test taken (because you can be infect 30-60 days with mono before you begin to feel the sypmtoms of it). The doctor at first said I most likely just had strep throat but I got the blood test taken to be sure. They gace me penecilin. My sypmtoms (the same ones you're experiencing) began to get pretty bad. Four days later my mom took me in to the Doctors again because the pain was fairly severe in my throat. My results were back that day and the doctor said I tested positive for mono. Your symptoms will begin to get fairly worse. Go to the doctors immediatly or the hospital for a blood test. You most likely have mono. Although I'm only 14 and I'm no doctor.

Tips while you have mono
- Drink A LOT of water and fluids to flush out toxins
- Depending on how bad your throat is do not have any course foods. ( have only been having decaffinated coffee and tea, soups,popsicles etc.)
- Don't do any activity even if you are bored because sypmtoms will just worsen
- Since there is no specific treatment for mono all you can take for medicine is advil and tylelnol. If you have sinus congestion and sinus pain then take tylenol sinus. It will help release some of the congestion.
- Vapour rub helps release some stuffiness. Rub it on your chest, back, and throat for most effective results.
- Steam showers and hot baths help relax you.
- THE MOST IMPORTANT AND EFFECTIVE THING YOU CAN DO WHILE HAVING MONO AND WHEN YOU BEGIN TO GO BACK TO YOUR REGULAR SCHEDUAL IS TO REEEESSSSTTTT!!!! bed rest is the most important thing. when you begin going backto school and work and what not get rest, eat healthy, and stay on a regular sleeping schedual.

Sounds like a staph infection to me. I've gotten what appear to be strep infections time and again but have never tested positive for strep. Turns out they're staph infections. They look like strep and can be very, very draining on your energy. Mine actually ended up being a very resistant strain of staph that is resistant to all "cillins"-- penicillin, amoxicillin, etc and I had to take sulpher antibiotics instead. Ask for a staph culture. It's more prevalent than you realize. :

This is the same exact thing happening to me,

I'm only 13 years old,And my neck hurts really bad.

I thought maybe i was just sleeping wrong or something,

And my tonsils been swollen for about 3 days.

i am pretty sure you have tonsillitis
white spots are very common, i was researching your problem because i have similar stuff
look here: ***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

This sounds familiar. Two years ago, I contracted mono and got acute tonsillitis. The pain became so bad that Lidocaine and NSAIDs (Tylenol, etc.) had no effect. I couldn't sleep or eat, so I ended up in the ER twice with complaints of the worst chronic pain in my life. What sucks is that, if you're an 18yr old male like I was, the doctors label you from the outset as a kid just trying to get narcotics. They begrudgingly gave me a small amount of morphine, then told me to go home and take Tylenol. I was furious, and would have punched a wall if I had been pushed any more.
Fortunately, my family doctor realized what I was going through and put me on Hydromorphone. The dosage was just enough to take the edge off and let me sleep. I swear he saved my life.
I was diagnosed later with GERD (an acid-reflux disease), which I could trace back to before my tonsil trouble. My theory is that my unknown acid-reflux had affected my tonsil pain, pushing it into the realm of the unbearable.

My question is: Do any of you have GERD, acid-reflux, heartburn, or frequent sore throats?
A week ago, unfortunately, I started this tonsil-pain cycle all over again. Today, I saw an Ear, Nose, and Throat doctor who brushed off my chronic 8 (on a scale of 10) pain complaints and inability to sleep with "take Tylenol." I'm about ready to go to the ER again.

They'd rather let a hundred people go without adequate pain medication than have the possibility that one junky is getting high because of them.

You might have menengitis. It includes sore throat headaches and back and neck pain.

I was the guy who Posted: 8/13/10 2:13 PM,
I went to the ER in the early hours of the morning because I couldn't stop vomiting and thought I was going to die. The doctor did not think I had meningitis. Fortunately, I am now on strong pain meds and arranged an appointment with a doctor at Mass Eye and Ear (some of the best Ear, Nose, and Throat doctors in the world).

Quote:

I Hate Mono

I was very depressed cause my boyfriend left after a visit from where he lives out of the country i was feeling sad in bed for like a week, then i came out and everyone said i looked swollen like i had a allergic reaction or a stroke or something then i noticed these HUGE Lymph notes on the side of my neck it hurt to even move my head or neck the bumps hurt but not my throat then i got a horrible headaches and strange pains like in my left arm and chest and my legs would like shake in my sleep. it was scary went to the er. The doctor was a ass he looked 2 secs said u have tonsillitis i said it would cause all thiss! and he was like yes and ran out of the room then we called him back i said are you sure he said yes. my mom even tryed talking to him then he gave me amoxiciliin I took it and the next day my throat started hurting tooo so it got worse and worse and worse for 5 days then extreme abdominal pain couldnt get comfy or sleep or anything hurt to even walk i was in so much pain went to the er was on IV's for 8 hours getting blood drawn, urine samples, they gave me a awesome iv shot all the pain numbed was amazing. then the put me through cat scans of my abdomen it was so scary n stressful they thought it was my appendix then after the results came back my spleen is enlarged and i have apparently mono. they didnt give me anything but this magic mouthwash stuff n said nothing over the counter will work i just need to eat sleep and doo absolutely nothing it can take as long as even 2 years to get rid of Its awful the worst pain if its not ur tummy its ur head and eyes or tonsils or neck its just aweful horrible to swallow and gets worse and worse i cry from pain everyday in my stomach its aweful. But worst of all my Spleen is Enlarged if i even walk in to someone or a wall or somethin or trip i can bleed to death. RARGH. and I'm only 15 so this sucks.

So the ENT doctor confirmed that it was the acid reflux that was driving the tonsils to such extreme levels of pain. That was how it was for my case, I don't know how common it actually is.

This happened to me too, when I was 18. I ended up breaking up with my girlfriend and had to drop out of college. I kept thinking I was going to die and that the pain wouldn't go away. Eventually, I got chronically depressed. That got me to thinking about philosophy and if it was worth continuing on in chronic pain. I read a few books on happiness studies and Buddhist philosophies and got really interested. I stopped seeing the world as I used to and instead started seeing it from the perspective of an outsider. "Why are all these people engaging in habits that end up making them feel bad (like getting angry at someone who didn't intend to cause harm)."

I kept having bouts of deep depression, but when I was at my worst, I would be triggered to look for answers in books about how to be happy again. Eventually I got better, it took me a couple of months, but when I came out of it I knew I was stronger.

I got my mono in October 2008, just after I had recovered from a two months of pancreatitis (very life threatening). I re-entered college summer of 2009 and chose to live happily. You may find quickly that no one around you can take your pain away. So my question to you is, What are YOU going to do about it?

-Jesse

"Those who don't learn to fight worry die young" (Dale Carnegie)

Nothing has helped. Two shots of Pen 1 week supply of Antibiotics.. Still nothing works. This condition comes and goes. Its like every other day it swells.. Most time Ibuprofen and salt water helps. Been 2 weeks of suffering. Jaw pain swollen glads and mild ear pressure.

Sucks!

Thanks for the tips bev.
Back pain is as common a disorder as it is cough and cold. Due to adverse lifestyles, more and more people are suffering through this.
_________________
***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

I have the same problem right now!!! I get strep throat every year, but this is not strep. I was feeling sick at the beginning of the week and my tonsils were swollen, so I automatically went to the doctor to get tested for strep. The doctor also tested me for mono, but both tests were negative and she old me to drink fluids. I now do not feel sick at all, but my tonsils are huge, it hurts to swallow, and my neck is sore. It is worse when I wake up in the morning. I also noticed that I have discharge from my eyes when I wake up in the morning. I do not know what is causing this and I do not know what to do. I am a college student, so I cannot just go and get my tonsils removed at this time, but I have seriously considered it. Also, the discharge from my eyes is weird, but is only when I wake up.

The only other explanation I can think if is that my body is fighting a virus and my tonsils are swollen because they are doing their job. They are as big as golf balls, but not close enough to my ovula to be considered an emergency. I was wondering if anyone had this specific problem before... it seems like everyone says it is either strep or mono, but I have ruled both of those out. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

hi i was wanting to know does the tonsilitist go away if you get medicane from the doctore and i hurts when i swallow and i can eat or drink sould i go to the doctor or should i just let it go away by itself? : :'(