Hey there.

I came and join this site because I saw that you have really good advice and tips. My husband and I recently bought Labrador retriever. He is not a puppy, he is three years old. I bought him from a friend of mine who has five Labradors from the same litter. He was very healthy boy. But my husband Nick notice that he is in back pain. Whenever he touches his back, he starts to growl. He is obviously in pain but I am not sure are those symptoms or not. I don’t know what am I dealing with? Can you tell me what are symptoms and treatments for back pain in dogs?

Hello there.

Symptoms are very obviously. Here is the list:

• Change in posture,
  • Abnormal spine alignment,
  • Stiff neck,
  • Visible trauma around the spin,
  • Lethargy,
  • Weakness,
  • Fever,
  • Lack of condition,
  • Loss of appetite.

Your dog will show you some of those symptoms when he is in pain.

The treatment depends on the diagnosis. Causes for back pain in dogs are very varied so the treatment is usually determined according to the nature of the disease. Maybe your vet needs to be hospitalized.

Treatments usually include medications, surgery and sometimes both.

Good luck with it.

Hey there. I think that it is very important to determine what is the cause of back pain in your dog. How your husband even noticed that your dog is having pain in his back? I mean, what symptoms he had? How about visit the vet? He should do some tests and let you know what caused it.

If your dog is unwilling to jump or to run, if he has pain or weakness in his legs, if he is crying out in pain and if you notice anxious behavior, there is possibility that your dog has intervertebral disc disease. Depending on the severity of the damage, treatment can range from conservative to a surgical treatment.

After this period he will be fine :)

Hello. It is very easy to recognize when your dog is in pain, especially if he has problems with his back. He still walk slowly and he won’t be active like he was before. There is a big possibility that you are dealing with intervertebral disc disease. This is what happens. As a disk becomes weaker with ages or even with trauma, it may rupture and this is causing the pain. This can happen suddenly or over a period of time. Symptoms are different for every dog but as soon as you notice them you need to visit the vet. Medications are the cure in this case but you can also try to massage your dog.

Hello guys.

Nice answers out there :) I was just talking with my friend who has this problem and I came out here just to tell you a couple of new things :) Well when dog is in pain you need to find the source of it.

Once your vet determine it and diagnose the back pain and the source of it, following their recommendation there are three things that you can do to help your dog. Well, those recommendation may include limiting activity, medication and even surgery….

Sometimes, your vet will recommend you all three in combination.

I hope that the dog will skip the surgery :/

Hey everyone.

I never had this problem or experience with my Boo. Tnx God. He is very small and I don’t know how I would be able to watch him suffer: / I think that I could not stand it at all :/

My neighbor had this problem with her dog and I saw what this means. He was crying in pain. Literally. Her dog couldn’t avoid surgery. The recovery was very, very long.

Maybe you can heal it with some medications or therapy, but you should be ready for the operation just in case. I hope that everything will be fine.

Good luck.