Hey there. I really didn’t think that this will happen to me and my dog, but unfortunately.... So, two days ago, I was siting in my home, I was typing something on my laptop, I was finishing some work. It was late at night, I am alone with my dog. After my work, I was ready to sleep, and when I was walking to my bedroom, I saw some blood traces. I was terrified. Then I saw my Boo, and everything was clear as a day. His anal gland was bleeding.

I was so scared, so in the morning, I took him to the vet. He prescribe some medications to him, but I was wondering can you help me, what is the best treatment for anal gland bleeding for dogs? 

Hey. Yes, you are thinking that this can’t happen to you, never. I am really sorry to hear this, especially because I do know how much you care about this dog and how much you are ready to learn as much as you can about him.

Don’t worry, I know that you are scared, but everything will be just fine. It is likely that anal gland of your dog is infected, and the best treatment are those antibiotics that your vet prescribed you. It is definitely an infection, but you should react before it get worse. It can be worse, and you don’t want this. 

Listen to me- don’t do anything on your own!! We are here to help but none of us can help you better than your vet.

Anal glands are often an issue and I support emptying / cleaning them at home. It is a simple process and could be done regularly.

But if your dog has blood coming out of his glands it means that he has an infection (which is not that common) and the only treatment that you should provide him is the one your vet told you to.

He probably prescribed you some antibiotics and told you to come over in a few days, right? 

Hello, guys.

I am so sorry for your Boo, but I’m sure he will soon be fine. I feel like I know him for ages, because I read all your posts about him.

The best thing you can do is to let your vet do all the treatment. Anal sac bleeding is a very troublesome problem and delicate too. That’s why you need to consult with your vet before doing anything. I understand that you want the best for your Boo and want to ease his pain as much as you can, but this is job for professional. He’ll get antibiotics and painkillers and I assure you, they will help him.

Hey. I am really sorry to hear this, but please, don’t heal him by your own, especially because you told us that you don’t have so much experience with anal gland diseases. So, please, listen to all of us and take him to the vet, consult him about this. I am sure that this is nothing bad or serious, but you should always be careful when it comes about anal gland disease, especially when there is bleeding :/

My friend had similar problem, but in two weeks, her nigh mare was over. He definitely has an infection, but with proper antibiotics everything will be just fine. 

I am sorry about your dog. There is one thing I don’t understand though. Since you say your dog’s anal sac is bleeding, how come you’ve never noticed that your dog has problems with his anal glands before?

The situation in which your dog is perfectly fine one day and then the next day his anal sac is bleeding- does not exist.

Sorry, I don’t mean to be rude,  I just feel sorry for your dog because he didn’t get his treatment on time. If he’s bleeding, that means we’re talking about a severe infection and probably a ruptured anal sac. Your vet will do everything that the dog needs, don’t worry. But pay more attention to your dog’s health in the future.

I agree that the dog has to show some signs before the infection is so bad and the glands start bleeding. But what’s done is done. Now we should focus on the current situation and the treatment. 

My guess is that anal sac is ruptured. I assumed this because it is bleeding, but hey, I’m not a vet. 

If the sac is ruptured, the treatment includes antibiotics, and pain medications. Surgical removal of the anal glands at a later date is also possible and I think that it’s even recommended. That way you will prevent similar problems to happen in the future.