I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis at age 16, i went through hell for 4 years until my doctor decided that i need to remove my entire colon. i went in for surgery in the summer of 2010. i can say that was the best decision i've made. I can go to school like a normal person, i can go on dates without constantly watching out for the nearest restroom. Im so much healthier than before. I know its a scary thing but keep your hopes up(: things will change for the better. Using the restroon 5 or 6 times a day is much better than not being able to control it at all. Before the surgery i was constantly fearing that an accident might happened, which lead to me having anxiety problems. Even tho i go more often than before, i know i can control it. 

Goodluck on your surgery! Keep thinking positive!

I had a total colectomy in Jan of 2008 because of UC. I go sometimes 6 times on a normal day.

But that is nothing compared to the pain I had before surgery and I was going sometimes 15 plus times a day:-|

It was terrible.

I stayed in the hospital for 9 days because they had to give me blood cause I lost a lot.

I could tell the next day that the colon was out. I feel 150% better.............................xd

I had a total colectomy with ileorectal anastomosis performed on October 7th, 2013. I did lot's of research beforehand and found a great surgeon at Mass General who came very highly recommended. I was released from the hospital three days after my surgery and am now about three weeks into recovery. I have led an outgoing and "relatively" healthy life---lot's of marathons, mountain biking, skiing, travel, etc. The "relative" part is my undying love of wine, food, and various other "good time" activities. I was terrified that I was going to be a semi-invalid afterwards: tied to the nearest bathroom, unable to leave my home, etc. There are innumerable scary stories online in various blogs and discussions about the negative consequences resulting from this procedure. I truly feel for those individuals---day-to-day suffering sucks. I was completely unaware of my pre-existing congenital condition---AFAP---before I had my first colonoscopy at 50. Three years and countless colonoscopies later I was convinced that this surgery was my only option for continued long-term health. My surgeon put it this way: Plan A, remove colon and live life or Plan B, do nothing and get cancer. Pretty easy decision.

Now that I'm back home I have to say I have been amazed at how well it has all worked out. I went back to work within ten days after surgery. I was walking 2-3 miles a day within the first week following the procedure when I was recuperating in a hotel room in Boston. I came home and continued to make daily gains. I was easily tired at first but that has dissipated gradually to the point where I lead a very normal daily life. I was biking with my son inside of the first two weeks---not far, just 5 miles or so, really easy---but it felt great to be active. I had very active bowels the first week, especially through the night, which made sleeping difficult. But this also greatly diminished in the following weeks. Now in the middle of week 3 I feel quite normalized. I go to the bathroom 2-4 times a day, mostly during daytime hours. But I have complete control---if I'm not near a bathroom I can maintain just like before and have never felt nervous about "losing it." I have had very little difficulty with my diet and have expanded it to include turkey sandwiches, tuna fish, lot's of bread and soup, and a daily probiotic, protein, super healthy smoothie to replace the beneficial natural flora and bacteria that formerly resided in my colon. I've always been a runner but you can see me power-walking around my neighborhood every morning now. I feel like I could jog a bit but my stomach still feels a wee bit sensitive to that kind of pounding when I've tried it out. I'm going to wait for the one month mark and see if I can start running at that point. Oh, and one more thing---I lost twenty pounds! I haven't been this weight in 25 years and I hear over and over again from friends about how great I look. Weird isn't it. I told my best friend the other day that I actually feel better now three weeks after the surgery then I did before. And I had a condition where I felt totally normal prior. I was definitely living it up beforehand because I felt like I might never eat another bacon-cheesburger again. And there wasn't a bottle of red wine in my immediate vicinity that didn't have my name on it....But still, I feel incredibly fortunate that this is how it has all worked out. I am looking forward to being healthy and taking advantage of this opportunity to improve my lifestyle and get back to living an active, athletic life that I had given up on prior to the procedure. Be well and good luck to all!

i am currently having the same problem. was your problem resolved?

Just curious, do you go to the toilet during the night?

Could you tell me who you doctor was. I live near Nashville and am looking at possibly needing surgery. Thanks.

My husband has had a surgery one month ago to remove large bowel, connecting small bowel to rectum. He goes to bathroom sometimes up to 25 -30 x. Surgeon said he could eat anything. Could you forward me info on the diet? We are having a problem with the food he eats. Gas also. Need help. Any advise you can give me would me muchly appreciated. Thanks Pam

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed***Please read our Terms of Use

selena: your outlook is very positive. I 've read many posting from people who had total colectomy and some can be very depressing. I am having a total in two weeks die to severe colotis. Wish I can stay as positive as you!
Get well and stay well........Terrence.

I had total colectomy 8 months ago,still have different issues every day.lately after every BM I have burning,contractions which makes me breathless for 10 minutes.Do you have any advice on that.thank yoy

How long did it take you to feel better after your surgery. It's been 6 months and I am still in pain and nauseated after the surgery

I was only told to avoid fiber for 6 weeks and then gradually add it back in. I'm 3 months out from total colectomy with ileorectal anastomosis and I eat easily 30 grams of fiber a day. Especially soluable fiber is important to people with no colon. It will bulk up your stool. Some people need to be more careful with insoluable fiber.

I'm 3 months out from total colectomy with ileorectal anastomosis and I've had maybe 5 nights recently where I don't need to go during the night. In the beginning it was every 3 hours or so, now my typical is 1 time about 5 hours after going to sleep.

I am having a total colectomy on February 3rd as I have been suffering for years with severe constipation, bloating, nausea, dry heaving, extreme gas, weight gain, chronic infections, and fatigue, due to Colonic Inertia. I am reading posts of people who have had this surgery and it seems as though they are experiencing these same symptoms after having the surgery. This scares me so much, I am told it will make me feel so much better and my life will be so much more enjoyanle, but I don't know if chronic diarrhea and intestinal blockages are better than I am feeling. I really need some input. I have never been this scared in my life. I am 33, female and have two daughters.

I had a total Colectomy in 2007 and I have the same issue. Not only that but (sorry for sounding gross or blunt) I can't eat certain foods because they go in and come out the same. Broccoli and mushrooms for example. I dehydrate quickly when in the sun and if I drink two beers I'm intoxicated. I have MYH pollyposis. Like u I almost wished I never had the surgery. I am always embarrassed about my constant bathroom habits and even my sex life has had its difficulties.

HI was the gastroparesis a result from type 1 diabetes ? How are you know ?