Hello everyone. :)

I want to ask you a few questions. It’s about my friend’s dog.

She says that he has had back problems lately and the other day I called her, she told me that he is in a lot of back pain.

I have never had this type of problem, have you?

The first time we talked to each other she told me that he eats poorly and the second time she told me that he won’t eat at all. He has lost some weight and she says that he doesn’t seem ok.

What could be wrong with him?

Hello. Look, back pain in dogs is really common problem. First is it is very important that you stop freaking out. I understand your concern but visiting the vet should be your first option just to be sure what you are dealing with. Is your dog older? Female? Is it neutered lately? If it is than that is an answer to your question. This is a case when they refuse to eat and they refuse any kind of food and your dog can look really miserable and poor. Your dog is having problems with the behavior and you should ask your vet to help you.

Hm I am not an expert for this situation :/ I am really sorry to hear this. I also know that this is very common problems in dogs but I also know that this dog is not in pain without a reason. There has to be a reason.

I agree that older dogs can have more problems with it, so this is just one of the reason. Maybe she should try to give him a massage? I think that this can be helpful since a lot of pets – dogs and cats really enjoy in the massage.

Maybe I am wrong but you can’t lose anything if you try it.

Hi again.

Just to make this clear, I am not talking about my dog ( cause if I was, I would have gone to the vet long time ago), I am talking about my friend’s dog.

I also told her that she needs to go to the vet but she says that she doesn’t think the vet will be able to help him. So she keeps calling me and asking me what to do and what could be the reason for this.

I have been a dog owner for more than ten years, but I really never had a situation like this.

Um sorry Mia :)

Sometimes when I am talking about my dogs or dogs that are from my friends I always say ”my dog”, “your dog”, etc. If you understand me :)  It was not definitely my intention to “attack you” :)

Yes, you don’t have experience with it. I don’t have it as well. My friend Aisha has a dog who is constantly having back pain. But she has different experience – when he is in pain he eats a lot. It is weird for me.

I don’t know, if I was in pain I would not eat. Pain can be so annoying that you would do anything to prevent it.

I am sure that some medications can be very helpful to your friend’s dog.

Back pain is actually not so rare in dogs. And it usually goes with the decreased appetite.

And may I ask how does she know that she is dealing with back pain? She must have talked to the vet or else she would not be able to identify the type of pain. Even the vets often find it hard to localize the pain because dogs can’t describe it or help in any way.

There are so many things that can cause back pain and they include: spinal trauma, vertebral disk disorders, epaxial muscle diseases, disorders of the meninges and sometimes even cancer.

Hey.

I think that it is very hard to determine why your dog is having back pain. Even for the vets. At least my brother told me so and his best friend is a vet.

I asked him especially about this case.

It is easy to tell when your dog is in pain but sometimes everywhere you touch him – they are in pain. A lot of tests need to be done. You need to be careful because some vets are able to give your dog pain killer and anti – inflammatory injections and let him home. It is generally OK because your dog won’t be in pain and maybe he will start to eat soon, step by step. But this is not a solution. You need to force your vet to find the real cause of his back pain.

I hope that this is nothing serious.

Here is what I think- You need to convince your friend to take that dog to a veterinarian who will do the complete check-up and determine why the dog is having back pain in the first place. He will have to do an MRI (magnetic resonance imaging).

Just like someone above said, it can be something harmless like an injury or something, but it can also be something very serious. It can be some sort of tumor in its initial phase and that is why your friend needs to find a vet who has a lot of experience when it comes to reading MRIs.