This has been happening to me too. What I have narrowed it down to is that when smoking I don't realize that I have to pee. I am also drink water more often due to cottonmouth. So every time it hurts I just go pee and then the pain stops. Maybe that's what's happening with you. 

i have a friend that has kidney pain every time he smokes weed hes 60 yrs old n smoked all his life! it just started bothering him about a month ago! does anyone have any medical facts as 2 y its hurting after all these years

To all the people who say Cannabis cannot affect your Kidneys: (You) They are wrong. Their opinions are invalid. Why would I make such a bold claim? That's a good question. Because no has has been able to back up that claim. Wheres your evidence ...besides your limited and subjective experience? Can you speak for everyone? Anything you eat drink and breathe in , nay, ANYTHInG that goes into the body through mouth or bloodstream is processed by these things: Stomach, Intestines, Liver, and Kidneys. At least! Not to mention the very critical role the bladder gallbladder spleen and heart and brain and lungs take. Did you know that even THOUGHTS and thinking , as insignificant as we have been taught to see them, affects your metabolism? How? Another good question. Because it takes away energy. Like excersizing, when you think, especially in large quantities, you are using stored calories. Because thinking requires actual physical synaptical activity. The more synapses are firing, the harder the brain works. Yes in tiny doses but it adds up over time. What's my point? Because even when you THINK , it is affecting your liver and kidneys. Because both of those organs are in direct relation to your blood stream and your ability to think clearly and strongly is directly dependant on the quantity and quality of blood that is coming into the brain. Therefore, everything affects your kidneys. ESPECIALLY your breath. How do I know? Because I've had kidney pain and it hurts to breath fully without pain its so intense. It hurts to do anything. But simply put and to better illustrate my point, here is a simple truth: THE BODY IS A SYSTEM. A CHAIN. A NETWORK. and what affects one area affects all other nodes in the network. Meaning that what affects your hands will also affect your feet in some way. When you have failure in your body the rest of your body works harder. Because its a system. Even your skin is an organ. And Kidney health directly affects skin health and vice versa in different degrees in different situations. Look at the skin of a Cirrhosis patient. Look at the skin of someone with chronic or acute kidney issues. Now look at the skin of a "healthy" adult. It all relates. So to say that smoking anything doesn't affect your Kidneys is a very ignorant pipe dream of a statement.

I have the same problem. My thoughts are that it is not the kidney but the stress on the adrenal glands. How is your general health; do you have any other health issues? Perhaps this can help me understand my problem as well. Another possibility is that due to your intoxicated state you might be unaware of your need to pee and the pain is the a consequence of inadvertently holding it in too long. There are people that have reported to get a diuretic effect from cannabis.

Also people tend to drink an excess of water in order to combat cotton mouth, hence needing to urinate more frequently.

It's cause you were coughing hard and your kidneys are sore from your entire upper body compressing. Your lungs may be sore too, different back muscles, abs, etc.Especially if you are an inexperienced smoker resulting in chronic coughing.

Not so sure. I observe this a lot, especially with ingested cannabis. Along with dark or frothy urine. The symptoms are contemporaneous with use and with use only. Not truly reversible as the onset is quicker and more severe over time.

Duhhh! you're so brilliant. .

if i smoke synthetic drug. it do's really hurts & have back pain , i used none synthetic drug b-4 it looks o.k. new drugs are too risky to me these days. i had right side stomack ache, always. i knew it's from new drug, so things change, drinking water most of the time can help a little, i just experiance like this.

Are you a Doctor?

There's different strains, Sativa, Indica & Hybrid. Sativa normally gives you more of an energy boost, invigorating, psychologically enchanting and can heighten senses, so any existing pain can feel worse.

Indica is better at night, it's more relaxing, can make you feel sleepy. And better for reducing pain.

A hybrid is somewhere in between.

Personally before suffering chronic pain my mind has always been in overdrive, physically too. And Sativa had the wrong effect. Caffeine has a negative effect on me too. Indica is much better for my hyper mind, body and pain.

Anyone with heightened pain when smoking, should try Indica.

smoking kills your kidneys!!!!!!!

Yes it can. Pots a fairly new player in the world of medicine. There has been a crazy amount of research done on it with regular and heavy usage. Since weed has been legalized there have been many cases like this popping up. Pot isn't one to normally effect your liver and kidneys... most of the time however your kidneys and liver filter out all the toxins and waste from your body. Just because most don't experience kidney pains while high doesn't mean it can't happen to different people

Your response is interesting that u expect a person that's high to eat n drink healthy while high. I wonder how many people that smoke daily watch what they eat n drink?

I too have been experiencing kidney pain. For about a year since I passed a kidney stone. I've had x-rays, blood tests, urine tests, nada. I noticed the pain would begin shortly after smoking, for a while I thought that I just just more sensitive to pain, but I've come to realize that the pain started shortly after smoking (I smoke at night before bed) and then I would awake with aching kidneys. By the next evening the pain would be greatly diminished or gone. I also noticed for the past year or two my urine color is quite dark and heavy (sinks to the bottom of the toilet) often frothy, sometimes cloudy. I began to wonder if the pain was related to the pot itself, or its physiological effects (dehydration, vasodilation, etc). My kidneys feel full, like I am holding water and often I cannot pee as much as I think I should even though I do not feel any bladder pressure. I believe cannabis is the cause of the pain so I decided today to stop. I was smoking it for neurological reasons (medical). I wonder if they are using some "organic" chemicals such as a permethrine insecticides and it is THAT that is causing the kidney problems.